SBI!, like life itself, is very much a case of "slow-steady-sure wins the race." Too many people think that the prize goes to the "Get Rich Quick" ("GRQ") hare. Do YOU know a single person who actually GOT Rich Quick? No, while the hare flits from one "biz-opp" to another, the steady, persistent tortoise RULES.

Have a success to share, a failure you need help with? Share it and solve it here!

Moderator: Antoinette from Bedford

#901811 by Carla from Hennessey
Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:16 pm
What happened in the last five years?

I'll tell you what happened in the last five years. I went from a stay-at-home mom to a successful business owner. On Monday, I am going to sell my resume site - [Domain Private].

It's the first site I started (2005). It's block-built (BlockBuilder). It's a product of the Action Guide and a lot of hours of effort. At 195 pages, it's content-rich, keyword-focused, niche-targeted and built with passion.

It's also amazingly successful.

The success didn't happen overnight, though.

At first, I couldn't decide on a niche. I went through the first 3 ideas and discarded them all. My fourth idea was the one I went with - resumes. I struggled to come up with a domain name. The forums helped me (and now I help new people in the forums).

Take your time (in the beginning) when building your site's foundation. That is critical. If you don't get the research part done right, the rest of your work will be harder, less effective, or ineffective.

In addition to confusion, I also made a lot of mistakes along the way. For example, initially, I thought a keyword was just one word. I didn't hear the word "keyphrase" used, so I started my first few pages with only one word. I still have a couple of those around. Try ranking for the word "heading". Ugghhhhh. In hindsight, it should have been "resume heading" or something similar.

But even with the mistakes, I kept at it. I added more content, graphics and later, inbound links.

After a couple of years, I found out that I should have created my graphics file names differently. By having the file names of graphics include the keywords of the page (they are on), graphics can be found by image searches. I had to change 150 or so graphics file names and re-upload them and change every single page. The result was SO worth it. Last month, my site was found for more than 21,000 images searches.

Making a mistake is an opportunity to learn. It's also an opportunity to share with others in the forum community so that they can avoid the same mistake.

I know I wouldn't be where I am now if it were not for the help of others.

Jump to today - In November, one of the slowest months of the year for my site (December is the slowest), I had 132,946 visits with 202,828 pages viewed. I got an average of 4431 visitors each day.

However, what matters most is that I help others. In this economy, my site can make the difference between someone getting a job or being unemployed. I sell no products. I have no affiliate ads. I earn my money with Adsense and an ebook. Everything else is free information. I could have chosen to make more money. I didn't, and yet...

On Monday, it will have a new owner.

On Monday, I will receive a bank wire for...
More than $20,000
More than $30,000
More than $40,000
More than $50,000
More than $60,000

I want to start the New Year debt free, have an emergency nest egg and pay for my daughter's private college expenses.

Get the idea?

IT IS A BUSINESS.

It has value. It has a LOT of value. And it was created by someone who knew NOTHING about websites 5
#901823 by William from Malad City
Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:39 pm
Carla,

Congrats on the success. I have a couple of questions.

1. What is the total amount of income your website generated over the 5 years including the sale price.

2. Why are you selling if the site is so popular and still growing?

Thanks,

William
#901852 by Jim from jugglenow.com
Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:41 pm
Ah dear Carla! Has it only been 5 years?! Congrats on this big step, and for the inspiration to others. I too, made so many mistakes starting out, but the lesson is to keep learning and growing.

And now, on to bigger and better things, I'm sure.

Best wishes,
Jim

P.S. William, the income for the site is really private information, so please don't be offended if Carla chooses not to disclose that.
#901856 by William from Malad City
Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:44 pm
Jim,

I won't be offended if Carla does not answer the questions. I just thought that since she did share the fact that she was selling the site for more than $60,000 that she did not have a problem with sharing this info.

William
#901859 by William from Malad City
Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:46 pm
One more thing.

The reason I asked was to get an idea of was to get an idea of how much a site earns annually in relation to it's sell price.

William
#901868 by Carla from Hennessey
Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:05 pm
I would have to do too many calculations to figure out how much it earned over the past 5 years. ;)

The price of a site is generally based on 3 to 5 times annual earnings and I was earning around $2000 per month (one month might be $1800 and another might be $2200 or $1950).

I don't mind sharing. If it helps someone else, then I'm willing to offer the information. I can't imagine how sharing it would hurt me, but then I tend to be naive at times.

As for why I'm selling it... I want to start the New Year debt free, have an emergency nest egg and pay for my daughter's private college expenses.

Carla
#901875 by William from Malad City
Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:12 pm
Thanks for sharing, Carla.

Sounds like some great goals.

Wish you the best.

William
#901901 by Jacki from Macleod
Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:05 pm
Amazing, Carla - in only five years? What a great thought - back to tortoising for me...
#901947 by ken-admin
Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:31 am
Wow, Carla!

What an awesome e-mail!

Yours is a great example of so many things, but the biggest three that speak to me are...

1) how much you've grown as a businesswoman -- just look at some of your first posts ;-)

2) how you don't "make money online" and even that you do more than monetize with SBI! If you do it right, you build a BUSINESS with EQUITY. That's value that someone else will gladly pay for. Your buyer may buy for many reasons. The best situation is a company that looks at what you've built and figures they can leverage its value in any one of a number of ways. Even a straight, unleveraged business transaction based on your P&L will net a strong SBI! site a tidy sum if/when you choose to sell.

3) You can do it all over again, except this time without all those boo-boos!

Thank you for making my day (and everyone else's here at SiteSell)! And thank you for inspiring others, too...

All you have to do is DO it (it takes guts and perseverance to re-do all those pages to get the image names right - a small example but a BIG one, too).

BAM! :-)

All the best,
Ken
#901970 by Paul from Palm Beach
Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:21 am
Hi Carla

This is just a tremendous achievement and I am thrilled for you. :D:D I love your motivation for selling also.

I am even MORE thrilled for me though because you mentioned the graphics file name thing!! Fortunately I only have a dozen or so pics up so far but WOW what a distinction amongst a million distinctions!

Thanks
Paul
#901972 by Dennis from Cape Canaveral
Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:37 am
Carla, A big congratulations to both you and your daughter. I hope I get to follow the success of another site by you, like I did this one. You do have one in mind, don't you?

Later, Dennis
#901985 by Mark from Northern Taiwan
Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:10 am
Carla, well done. It is inspiring to read stories like this. Will you continue working on websites?
#901992 by Carla from Hennessey
Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:30 am
Mark,

It isn't a matter of IF I will continue work on websites, but how soon I can settle on another niche. ;) In the meantime, I'm having my daughter transfer her site to my account so I can work on it. She's in college and busier than busy, so I'll help her out and update the Look & Feel (or have someone in coaching do it for me), add some content and build some links. I love SBI! too much to consider doing anything else.

Carla
#902035 by Daniel CEO
Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:37 am
Hi Carla,

It's a truly wonderful story, and a well-deserved turn of events for you ... Congratulations!

It's also a lesson and an inspiration for all SBIers, as it demonstrates the power of sticking to the process and persevering. :-)

Thank you very much for sharing this, as usual, with your total candor and authenticity.

Best regards,

Daniel
#902039 by Sheila from Moreno Valley
Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:09 am
What an inspiration! SBI is truly a remarkable product if we do take the time to follow the AG and if we are willing to learn. I look at my less than a year old site and already see so many things I could have or should have done differently - oh those keywords!!! Congratulations on your success. It helps us to see what is really possible if we stay on the tortoise path!

Sheila