What knowledge, expertise, passion, hobby, or interest do you have? Which is best for your Site Concept? How do you position it to be "uniquely you"? Is your Niche too broad or too narrow? Too broad will stretch a solopreneur's available time beyond its limits. Too narrow may limit income potential. Get help to find the right niche for you!

Moderator: Carol from East Anglia

#1379793 by Sheri from Uneeda
Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:19 pm
Barry-

Re: I am exploring "nutrition" as a site concept. It has way to much supply. So I am looking to narrow it down.

I have some good possibilities. Like "food and nutrition" or "exercise and nutrition" and so on. Many other options also.

Adding the "and" and another word or concept may make the numbers go down but actually makes things EVEN BROADER...so that is not preferred.

Instead try to narrow the concept down to an area of nutrition, a specific angle or a group of people.

As examples:

"Sports nutrition" narrows it down to nutrition related to sports
"Child Nutrition" narrows it down to a specific audience and group looking for advice on nutritional needs of kids
"Fast food nutrition" relates only to the nutritional information about fast food (and might be a fun topic!)

Those are just a few options!

Instead of trying to handle all things nutrition....find an angle and a concept that has less competition but is an area that you can passionately write about. Narrowing down the scope and/or the target audience will help the site stand out more in the search results and become more brandable overall. :D

I hope this helps.

All the best-

Sheri
#1379812 by Barry from Allentown
Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:01 am
ken-admin wrote:Barry,

Thanks very much for this note...

I spent two years at Wealthy Affiliate and I would like to share their advice on choosing a niche.

I am going to paraphrase. * Choose a niche that you know about and have some passion about. If you cannot come up with a niche idea in "15" minutes go to the Bootcamp section and promote Wealthy Affiliate. *

After being at SBI for a few days I realize how self serving that part of the training is. After I was there about six months I began to see a pattern of selfishness on their part.

Although at present I am wrestling with Brainstorm It I am very happy to be here.

And also for the one immediately above this post...

I just read the TAO piece and it really opened my eyes concerning SEO. Pretty simple when you think about it. Why not just give the SEs what they are looking for. My compliments to the author.

Regarding "The Tao," I was happy to see how you "got" this. It really is simple, as you note...

I wrote that piece in 2005, with an evolving 10-20-year window in mind, especially the parts where I noted that...

- SEO would ultimately cease to be valid in any sense of that word and that hence SEOers would cease to be an occupation. I think I said that they would change occupational words to SEM (Search Engine Marketers) as a result.

- authors should write their sites assuming that search engines would eventually develop the A.I. to be able to "read" a page and "know" whether it was any good and how well it delivered vs competitive pages. SBIers, if sites were written well, were ready for A.I.

Emphasis was first and foremost to "OVERdeliver" on search intent and, within that, get the keywords right. Getting keywords right has become simpler and less important over the years, as the engines have become "smarter," first by tracking human behavior and now with Google adding RankBrain into the mix.

It was simple then and it's simple now. But Hoo boy! 😱 😱 😱

You'd think that I had murdered Mother Theresa or something...

I was blasted by SEOers, an avalanche of sheer nasty. One by one, over the following years, those articles were pulled by the authors. Last time I checked (10 minutes ago ;-) ), there was only 1 article left, and that was only an article that is about one of the SEOers who blasted me...

The original author (who had been quoted) had removed her own, original "blaster" years ago.

I've told this story a few times over the years, but this is the first time that I've noticed that only one remains. ;-)

I don't name names to spare them embarrassment, but also because I believed that most were being honest with themselves and their readers. They BELIEVED what they were writing and they were white hats. Black hats didn't attack me because THEY knew the score AND didn't care to call attention to themselves (the best ones worked successfully in the shadows).

Anyway, the controversy moved on to the next flavor of the day within a week or 2, but it taught me a huge lesson that I was destined to re-learn over and over again. We kept folks out of mini-sites, too, also to some pain, as I wrote about recently.

And I've had wonderful debate with bloggers, intelligent discussions where we agree to disagree. But in the long run, it's been fair to say that blogging is a tougher discipline to win at. AND, if you are going to blog, you need to make two crucial changes to improve your search engine results...

1) have real, full TIER 2s (under which your pages on that topic appear)

2) include more evergreen info, less "news of the day," unless your niche is fast-changing and newsy.

That, of course, basically makes them SBI! sites. So either way, a multi-tier niche-content site is THE most do-able way for "everyday people" to succeed online.

No debate with bloggers (when we released blogorbuild.sitesell.com) ever turned nasty. It was fun and pleasingly challenging to have smart folks challenge the thinking.

But then came WA, as you note above Barry. We've gone so deep into WA that we probably know it better than most users. It is amazing that there aren't more folks who get really angry with them.

If you are interested, Barry, search these forums for "Netflix." It's a 10 part "series," including a 7-part "Grand Finale" about the entire story.

I gave it a Netflix format to keep myself from going down a rabbit hole from which I may never have emerged. I don't know if anyone actually read it all - it was half-therapy and half documentation from which we drew more important posts.

But man, that alone is a book with intrigue, subterfuge and spine-tingling cliff-hangers.

Well, Ok, that may be a bit much. ;-)

1) They claim to really care. But we're all grown-ups. We know it's the actions that count, not words.

2) There are too many actions (in the form of recommendations) that hurt solopreneurs to believe what they claim.

3) Then there is the unethical behavior. WA could claim that they can't control their affiliates, except they can. Affiliate managers should monitor for all sorts of bad behavior. If they believe that the fake reviews were bad, they'd ask affiliates to remove them.

The Study gives no one, neither affiliates nor WA ownership, anywhere to hide. If I was them, the first thing I'd do is repeat the study. I'd get the same results.

And that puts you into an ethical dilemma. It's hard to say "our training doesn't cause fake reviews" when you give affiliates a list of 175 products to write about and when the fast majority, if not all, of their ranking reviews are fake.

I guess I'm destined to keep re-learning. But if this company and its people and indeed, SBIers too, if we are all dedicated to the long-term success of solopreneurs online, we have no choice but to voice our opinions, including the data that backs them.

It boils down to this...

Sometimes, you have to choose between the well-being of solopreneurs vs that of the provider of products or services to them. The interests are so diametrically opposed that to be quiet on the issue is to be as guilty as the person who pushes the fake review.

"The Tao" was more of a long-term view/opinion piece. There was no way to prove what I wrote, it was just the intellectual framework upon which SBI! is built, extended out into the future. Only the future itself could prove it to be true or false...

And it did. ;-)

But with WA, the proof lies in The Study.

When you note "how self serving that part of the training is" and their "selfishness," it's not clear how deep you see into what they do. But one conversation that I've had with a senior WA user and many "good-bye" posts that Yuki has culled from their forums, they both break my heart and anger me.

WA does have an extraordinary teflon skill. Almost no one gets high traffic. We expose the practices and the results in The Study. When folks complain...

They suppress comments in their "forums" (and awkward question and answer) format that generates tons of content for them, as does free content. The create "busy work" to grow that, rather than reinforcing the approach we have here, and they don't tell their customers that all that busy work content creates traffic for WA, rather than building traffic for THEIR OWN businesses.

And who do the WA-devoted get mad at, despite all this?

Me.

The flip side is that folks like you, who are willing to read and think about it, DO get it. We didn't do any of this to "get" WA customers (although we're happy that you are here).

This was the only SBI!-saving, life-saving approach. Expose the truth. A more balanced picture is now online although we still need loads more SBIer reviews to counter the ton of fake reviews that rank.

Going beyond that, it has grown into a more interesting opportunity that can show how strong SBI! IS...

Not even WE knew how badly solopreneurs do. Our Trafeze experiment gave us the first semi-hard numbers (extrapolated calculations) vs ALL solopreneur sites. But we would have just left it there, had it not been for this.

Our WA study hardened the numbers into direct measurements rather than extrapolated calculations (100x for Trafeze, 33X for SBI! - in the same ballpark).

THAT raised really useful questions...

Does WA do any good at all, does it provide any benefit over "figuring it out on your own"? If the 100X is correct, there is some small benefit, although "Better than nothing" would not be a great slogan for WA. ;-)

Beyond that, though...

What does Wix bring to the table?

How do WP solo's do?

And so forth...

By the time we finish publishing the solo studies, it will be the first data-based analysis of how 50M+ solopreneurs are doing online. THAT, hopefully will raise the level of consciousness for SBI! as "THE Solopreneur Answer."

Thanks again for the comments, Barry, and welcome!

All the best,
Ken

P.S. Re this...

Make Money Online For Beginners and Fitness/Weight Loss/Nutrition

Avoid "MMO." It sucks your soul while you suck others' pocketbooks I've seen too many folks go down this road. If you insist, find a small sub-niche that you 1) really know and 2) can show with hard proof that your ideas/articles work. Make sure there are great products that fit and that delivers.

The best people in this field are bloggers who are able to come up with their own original thinking, able to communicate it clearly. The only problem is that no one gives away their best ideas.

SBI! was a big, original idea in 2002, yes. No one believed that SEO went beyond "the page." And we pulled together a ton of info, deleting the bad, ordering the good, etc.

Aside from that, the biggest benefits are the way the AG works (with SMAGs coming) and the integration of Brainstorm It!, BB2 and other tools. OR WP and plugins for SBI! for WP.

But that's not the same kind of idea that a single solo would do. Your biggest problem will be how to monetize while trading value for value. Most MMO sites end up depressingly.

So my suggestion...

Find a niche in Nutrition - it's a big-time coming niche within which you should be able to find a sub-niche that is winnable. If you are not YET a master of that sub-niche, become one. Take months until you can hold your own in advanced forums. I mean - BE THE EXPERT!

Then you'll be ready to win. That's just my .02.

Final sidebar...

Image[color=gray]
I learned nothing about nutrition in med school. There is still very little taughter, compared to how important it is.

There's no doubt that it has a massive effect on one's health. Much of the food we eat today is a softer version of smoking. "Big Agro" suppresses a ton of well-done studies.

If you find the right niche and how to monetize it, the answer lies here, most likely.

Sorry for typoos. I stil have hours of email and stuff to catch up on. :-)

It absolutely astounds me that there isn't any nutritional training in med school.
#1379813 by Barry from Allentown
Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:11 am
Sheri from Uneeda wrote:Barry-

Re: I am exploring "nutrition" as a site concept. It has way to much supply. So I am looking to narrow it down.

I have some good possibilities. Like "food and nutrition" or "exercise and nutrition" and so on. Many other options also.

Adding the "and" and another word or concept may make the numbers go down but actually makes things EVEN BROADER...so that is not preferred.

Instead try to narrow the concept down to an area of nutrition, a specific angle or a group of people.

As examples:

"Sports nutrition" narrows it down to nutrition related to sports
"Child Nutrition" narrows it down to a specific audience and group looking for advice on nutritional needs of kids
"Fast food nutrition" relates only to the nutritional information about fast food (and might be a fun topic!)

Those are just a few options!

Instead of trying to handle all things nutrition....find an angle and a concept that has less competition but is an area that you can passionately write about. Narrowing down the scope and/or the target audience will help the site stand out more in the search results and become more brandable overall. :D

I hope this helps.

All the best-

Sheri

It helps a great deal and I really appreciate your input. I think I have narrowed it down to fitness nutrition. As far as I can tell the numbers look good, I like the subject and know about it.

Feel free to jump in any time with your thoughts. The more help I can get the better.

Thank You Sheri.

Barry
#1379834 by Sheri from Uneeda
Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:28 pm
Hi Barry!

It helps a great deal and I really appreciate your input. I think I have narrowed it down to fitness nutrition. As far as I can tell the numbers look good, I like the subject and know about it.

Awesome! Those numbers do look MUCH better! I am glad that you found something with good numbers that also "fits" your passion. :D

I can't wait to see where you take it from here!

All the best-

Sheri
#1379851 by Barry from Allentown
Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:59 pm
Thank you Sheri.
#1379870 by Barry from Allentown
Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:33 pm
I exported all my MKL keywords to begin again. I was not happy with the niche(s) I had explored. The numbers looked good on a few of them but the excitement wasn't there.

If I am not excited about what I am doing I may as well get a job.

Barry
#1379930 by Barry from Allentown
Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:20 pm
Debs from SiteSell wrote:Barry, give Sheri a vote (click on the sunburst icon in her post to do this) for her help. It is a nice way to say thank you and pay it forward!

Now I know. Thanks.
#1380117 by Barry from Allentown
Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:02 am
After two weeks I have chosen a concept. Home fitness. The concept is that people already have everything they need to get in shape at home and can do it at home. I know the subject well.

Tier two something like: Your home gym--Aerobics--Nutrition--Exercises--Components of fitness. I may have to reconsider once I look at monetizing, maybe not.

Under those there are a ton of subjects I can cover.

As far as I can tell from my limited experience with BI the numbers look good. Maybe even a bit narrow which is what I am looking for to start. Then again I could be completely wrong.

A long way to go yet. Looking forward to writing as I consider that one of my strong points. Time to move on to day four.
#1381036 by Barry from Allentown
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:07 am
Hello All,

I have arrived at day 5. I got a lot of are you sure about your previous choices. No I am not 100%sure. So I thought I would run my misgivings by the forum.

My site concept is "home fitness". To me, inexperienced as I am, most of the numbers look good. If anything the niche may be too narrow. The concept is that you do not need a gym or expensive equipment to achieve fitness goals.

I plan to monetize with affiliate marketing, maybe some MLM, eventually an ebook and perhaps even a donate button. Could I get some feedback on the niche as far as if it is too narrow. Or for that matter any problems I am missing.

I am going to check again myself but it's always a good idea to get some outside views. Thank you for your help as I know how important this is before I move on to a domain name and site building.

I haven't any problem starting all over again if people think it is warranted.
#1381337 by Morgen from White Pine
Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:05 am
Hi Barry,
I'm in a similar situation. I'm looking at "weight loss with diabetes" which is nearly impossible. The "weight loss" is so huge, I'll never be top dog in that keyword, but putting things together is something I'm working on. I've already written one book, and I'm working on another, so I have a product I can sell. Plus other stuff. That's down the road though, right? For now, it's getting that "Goldilocks zone" settled.

I'm not a stark NOOB to SBI! and I love it here. Everyone is friendly and helpful. I've wanted to come back since I "gave up" in 2014 due to school. Now, I wish I'd kept the site I had on autopilot and "tabled" it. Hindsight is always 20/20, right?

I wish you the best, here. I know you'll do well. Take your time. Nobody is telling you that you have to do this overnight. But don't be "number-bound," either. As you build your site, you will affect the market with your content.

Just over-deliver to your visitors as you build your site.
And your business.
#1381391 by Barry from Allentown
Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:11 pm
Thanks Morgan.
#1381393 by Jacki from Macleod
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:00 pm
Barry, if you're not 100 sure, then it's not the right niche. Don't compromise or settle, you'll never be happy writing about something you're not passionate about, no matter how much money you can potentially make. Keep digging, it's in there somewhere :D
#1381665 by Debs from SiteSell
Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:17 pm
Barry,

To give good feedback on a niche, we need to see the keywords and their numbers (D/S/P). Part of it is the relationship of the keywords to each other, as well as comparing the niche, VPP, slogan to the unique slant you bring to the topic.

Debs