What knowledge, expertise, passion, hobby, or interest do you have? Which is best for your Site Concept? How do you position it to be "uniquely you"? Is your Niche too broad or too narrow? Too broad will stretch a solopreneur's available time beyond its limits. Too narrow may limit income potential. Get help to find the right niche for you!

Moderator: Carol from East Anglia

#1392050 by Desiree from French Creek
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:38 am
Hi SBI friends!

I'm Desiree, and I first joined SBI in 2007. Over the course of 4 years I built a HUGE website called Book-Club-Queen which was so amazing and brought me so many opportunities that I could never have imagined. I met authors like Nicholas Sparks, Judy Blume, Paula Dean, Jeff Kinney, and Jeanette Wells to name a few. I read and reviewed hundreds of books over the course of the years. I "hired" additional book reviewers to help me keep up with the amount of demand I had from authors wanting book reviews. My reviews and blurbs were published in actual books. It was just awesome.

The problem was...I made little to no money from the site. I had the passion, I had the PR, I did everything I was supposed to do, but the monetization just didn't happen for me. I honestly think it was because I had heard about Adsense and was so focused on that being my only monetization model that I didn't spend enough time thinking about whether or not that was a feasible income stream for my niche. Turns out, it wasn't.

Fast forward (and there were several more websites within the last 11 years) and I'm ready to do it again. I LOVE SBI and know that the model works if you do it right. This time, thought, I want to find the right concept that I am passionate about, can write about nonstop, AND that has a diverse monetization plan.

I'm struggling (and overthinking because of my past experiences) with my site concept. The thing I'm best at in my own opinion, and according to the people who are most important in my life, is advice. Mom advice, friend advice, sister advice, daughter advice, relationship advice. Apparently I have a knack for helping people. I know that "advice" is way too broad so I've been doing a site concept search on the top one for me right now which is "parenting." The problem is that I'm not getting returns good enough for me to move forward.

I guess I'm posting here because my husband is sick of me picking his brain, lol, and I need some advice of my own. If I want to go with parenting, what should I focus on? If I want to go with female friendships, what should I focus on? What are some other site concept KWs that might relate to any of this?

I SO incredibly appreciate any help anyone is willing to give me! I promise to return the favor :)

Thanks,
Desiree
#1392085 by Debs from SiteSell
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:15 pm
Desiree, what fires your passion when it comes to advice? Who asks for your advice the most and in what capacity (sister, friend, mother, etc.)?

As you no doubt found with your first site, the passion was there ... look for the passion, then we can help you find the right keywords. ;)

All my best,

Debs
#1392156 by Jacki from Macleod
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:53 am
Welcome back, Desiree :D I am a big believer of going with your passion, whatever that is. What do you think of in the middle of the night, what gets your attention if you hear it mentioned on TV?
#1392283 by Desiree from French Creek
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:55 pm
Hi Debs and Jacki,

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Can I pick your brain a little? I have used 50 word tracker credits researching and I've gotten myself totally overwhelmed with the numbers, etc. To that end, I deleted everything and started fresh again, lol. My seed word is 'anxiety.' I know that's too general, but I wanted to start with it. My overall site idea is 'overcome (or overcoming) anxiety.' My voice will be that of someone who has dealt with anxieties in all stages of life personally, and with various people -- as a sister, daughter, friend, spouse, parent, etc. I want to build a site around the idea that there are many people out there that suffer from daily anxieties, share stories, and then all the independent knowledge I have of ways to deal/combat/overcome. Obviously, I'm the "not your doctor" person for anxiety troubles. I find this is where most of my advice happens.

So, that said...I just did a seed generator/broad on the term 'anxiety.' Am I correct in assuming that the results I've returned are all "winnable" niches based on the AG numbers? Like these are phrases I should take forward into the vertical/site concept finder BI? Here are the top ones I'm interested in pursuing with the ones I think best fit my overall site concept in bold:

anxious 96063 112507 854
anxieties 104545 26976 3875
anxiety relief 17267 8778 1967
anxiety and stress 14568 6159 2365
anxiety treatment 10893 5853 1861
anxiety symptoms 26411 5056 5224
natural remedies for anxiety 10928 3087 3540
overcome anxiety 5071 2707 1873
anxiety medication 12838 2488 5160
treating anxiety 4434 2075 2137

Based on what I've explained above, what would my next step be? Do I take those three through the vertical/site concept finder? And do I delete the other 7 before I even start? Also, I know the sweet spot is supply 20k-60k and demand >2k. What if my supply is a lot lower than that range, but the demand is a lot higher? Can you give me some insights into the numbers? Finally, last time I did this same process, the term "overcoming anxiety" came up with good numbers in this first search (like above) but then when I put it into the site concept finder the numbers decreased to pitiful. Why does that happen?

Okay, I know that's a bunch and I REALLY appreciate your insight and feedback. I want to get it right this time when building my site.

Thanks, in advance, for your time!

Desiree
#1392284 by Jacki from Macleod
Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:18 am

Wow, lots of questions! Hopefully, someone else will appear to address some of them. I already had my niche before I started so I never really did a deep dive into it.

Desiree from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[New Market] wrote: I have used 50 word tracker credits researching
Don't cheap out on this! Everyone seems to feel that they need to economize, but truly, you will maybe buy new credits once or twice in the life of your site, so it's false economy to resist using them at this stage. Write them off on your income tax :D

Desiree from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[New Market] wrote: the results I've returned are all "winnable" niches based on the AG numbers?
Yes, those all look good.

Desiree from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[New Market] wrote:Like these are phrases I should take forward into the vertical/site concept finder BI?
Yes.

Desiree from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[New Market] wrote: Do I take those three through the vertical/site concept finder? And do I delete the other 7 before I even start?
Yes, and yes, if only to free up the room in your MKL.

Desiree from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[New Market] wrote:What if my supply is a lot lower than that range, but the demand is a lot higher?
If you have something to sell (an e-book, e-courses, or some kind of affiliate product) then the supply can be lower. The reason for it being higher is so you have lots of potential advertisers to choose from - it all depends on how you'll be monetizing.

Desiree from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[New Market] wrote:Finally, last time I did this same process, the term "overcoming anxiety" came up with good numbers in this first search (like above) but then when I put it into the site concept finder the numbers decreased to pitiful. Why does that happen?
It's possible that people are drilling down to more specific keywords when they're searching. Other than that, no idea - sorry!
#1392286 by Desiree from French Creek
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:00 am
Thanks again Jacki :)

When I look again at the seed word numbers, it seems ‘anxieties’ fits the sweet spot best. Would you agree?

If so, can I build my site with the theme of ‘overcoming anxieties’ around that seed word; take ‘anxieties’ to the site concept finder and use the returns to build out my t1, t2, and t3 blueprint? Can I use the other words above that I got as seed words as tier 1 pages? If I know my overall idea is to work with anxieties people have, and ways to deal with and overcome them, am I on the right track?

I’m ready to get going, but am scared I will make a mistake in the numbers game somewhere.

Thanks again!!!
#1392289 by Jacki from Macleod
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:27 am

You only have one Tier 1 page.

Desiree from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[New Market] wrote:When I look again at the seed word numbers, it seems ‘anxieties’ fits the sweet spot best. Would you agree?
This looks good, maybe someone else will be able to comment on it.

Desiree from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[New Market] wrote:If so, can I build my site with the theme of ‘overcoming anxieties’ around that seed word; take ‘anxieties’ to the site concept finder and use the returns to build out my t1, t2, and t3 blueprint? Can I use the other words above that I got as seed words as tier 1 pages? If I know my overall idea is to work with anxieties people have, and ways to deal with and overcome them, am I on the right track?
This is the gist of it - but don't limit it to just vertical keywords. There may be other terms that fit better, especially as T2's. The numbers on some of your terms are pretty high - i would shy away from any that are over 1000 supply, if there's anything else you could use. There is a webinar about this topic somewhere, maybe look for that?
Desiree from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[New Market] wrote:I’m ready to get going, but am scared I will make a mistake in the numbers game somewhere.
The numbers are a guide only. If you have the knowledge and the interest, you'll be fine.

Edited; here's a link to the new webinar schedule; https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?f=136&t=225026
#1392308 by Maria from Agness
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:57 am
Hi Desiree,

You've already been given some great advice in this thread but have you given any thought to your monetization model.
As you said in your first post you can make a great site based on your passion but this time it sound like you want a business that will bring in a decent income.
Yes you need to be passionate about your niche, this will keep you going when the going gets tough but if you want to make money as well you need to think about how you will make money too as you do your brainstorming.
Do you have a product in mind? Could you create your own products for this niche? Possibilities are e-books on coping with different anxieties, stress toys, relaxation techniques videos, adult colouring books etc.

As you go through your MKL look and see how many money keywords there are. Things like I've mentioned above and any others that you may list that people are looking to spend money on.

This may give you a better idea on where to take your searches. Although passion is really important, having a product or ideas for products from the start are equally important as it will help you to focus on a particular are of your niche.

These are just my thoughts and I hope that makes sense,
Maria
#1392324 by Desiree from French Creek
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:41 pm
Thanks again Jacki :) And thank you Maria for giving me something additional to think about. I had another site concept in mind, and now I'm going to reevaluate after reading through day 4 to see if perhaps I should go with it instead.

I appreciate all the help and will definitely pay it forward as I gain some confidence this time around!

Desiree