What knowledge, expertise, passion, hobby, or interest do you have? Which is best for your Site Concept? How do you position it to be "uniquely you"? Is your Niche too broad or too narrow? Too broad will stretch a solopreneur's available time beyond its limits. Too narrow may limit income potential. Get help to find the right niche for you!

Moderator: Carol from East Anglia

#1284159 by Tobias & Stephanie from Hardyville
Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:42 pm
Defining and refining your niche is tough. No two ways about it.

Thinking back, I remember how hard it was to narrow down and refine the particular spin for our site and what would make us unique. When we finally got it, it was a huge relief and it really gave us tremendous focus and energy. Five years down the track, it's part of what's enabled us to leave our day jobs and become full-time SBIers. However, it took a lot of hard work for us to pick our niche. We spent about 3 months on it before we even picked our domain name.

But I just found an excellent additional resource that I wish had existed 5 years ago when we started out

It's a series of 3 videos by Sean D'Souza (a well known internet marketer and I think also a friend of Ken's - he drew the Shelley the tortoise cartoons). The videos are all about "uniqueness". Sean is talking about developing a product or service, but when I listened to the videos I realized that they apply perfectly to choosing and refining a niche, and I found myself wanting to completely re-write our home-page based on his ideas.

Part 1 - Uniqueness (10 min)

Part 2 - Steps to Uniqueness (15 min)

Part 3 - Mistakes to avoid (10 min)

I know the Action Guide is excellent, and I know Ken says to "put the blinkers on", but I thought these videos were too good not to share. Also, I think they're very much consistent with the "SBI way". I hope you find them useful

P.S. Thanks to Suzanne who was the one to tell me about Sean D'Souza

Additional Note from Help Elf:

Thanks for sharing, Tobias. :D

Uniqueness is important. And you're right, it's important whether you're developing a paid product or choosing your niche.

(Actually, if selling a physical or digital product becomes your primary income earner, the USP of your positioning within your niche and your product's positioning within the market may end up being essentially the same.)

The ultimate question you need to answer, whether you're selling stuff or building an audience through media, is why should people come to ME? And for the small online business owner, the answer to THAT nearly always boils down to some combination of...

1) Specialization (necessary due to the very fact that you ARE small), and...

2) Being YOU (because it's the big advantage you hold over larger, more anonymous businesses).

All the best,
Help Elf
#1284180 by Susan from Ash Flat
Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:02 am
Thanks to you both for posting this. Very interesting and insightful. So simple and obvious, and yet it's so easy to go wrong :roll: It does tie in with SBI's approach really well. Has definitely given me some stuff to think about!
#1287609 by Martin from Eindhoven
Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:07 am
Indeed, very interesting as during the presentation you remember what we have been tought step by step bij SBI.
And look/ listen closely at the last approx. 1:30 min where he presents his own business with exactly the steps he presented through all 3 video's :-)

Thanks for sharing.....and back to the drawing board it is :-;

#1337431 by Angeline from Wakarusa
Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:52 pm
Hi Tobias

Thank you so much for sharing those videos. They're brilliant! They've given me a better insight to carve out my niche.

#1348372 by Diane from Somersworth
Wed May 25, 2016 4:37 pm
Does anyone know if there is a "Niche List" of ideas to start with? We're looking to start from scratch. :)
#1348393 by Mary from Mico
Wed May 25, 2016 7:51 pm
Hi Diane,

Welcome back!

I think that I saw a Niche webinar advertized in the latest SBI ezine. I'll see if I can find the link. Got it!

http://pros.sitesell.com/Webinars/FreeW ... ign-up-now

Also, Maria has a great list of the "new" things to do in recent years. They're not so new now, yet they're important to know from here out:

'Hoping to help,

#1348520 by Diane from Somersworth
Sat May 28, 2016 3:39 am
Thank you, Mary! Sorry it took me so long to reply but I could not get logged in to the forums! I just registered for one of Terri David's classes. That should help! Appreciate your kindness.
#1348524 by Mary from Mico
Sat May 28, 2016 4:49 am
Hi Diane,

You are so welcome.

Terri gives great webinars! I think you'll have a great opportunity to ask your questions there - or better, ahead of time.

#1389832 by Turenne from Montreal
Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:56 pm
Hi Tobias,
My main difficulty is definitely refining my niche and fine tune it to that Ideal Client Profile that I can speak directly to in all things related to my website business.

I find this reference very useful. The simplicity of Choose Three and Pick One really help me nail my vision with a two words phrase. It is such a wonderful relief towards nailing down my uniqueness.

Thank you very much for sharing