What knowledge, expertise, passion, hobby, or interest do you have? Which is best for your Site Concept? How do you position it to be "uniquely you"? Is your Niche too broad or too narrow? Too broad will stretch a solopreneur's available time beyond its limits. Too narrow may limit income potential. Get help to find the right niche for you!

Moderator: Carol from East Anglia

#1387942 by Maria from Agness
Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:32 am
Hi Vesna,

I think it's unlikely that you will find keywords for your site using the keyword 'wow-factor' as it's far too broad a term. Wow factor could be applied to almost anything so you will need to try to narrow it down a bit.
You can still use brainstorm it to find keywords but you will probably need to use the cherry picking method of doing so.
My site is about craft ideas, that's the concept keyword that ties the site together. I use keywords that contain craft ideas, such as - paper craft ideas, craft ideas for kids, christmas craft ideas etc. I also use the term craft ideas on almost every page on my site, quite naturally as that is what it's about. This helps the SE's to know what my site is about.
I also use other keywords such as jewelry making, how to make paper flowers, yarn crafts etc. These are all craft ideas so the SE's will not get confused just because the don't contain my site concept keyword,
You can read more about other ways to find a niche here

You will probably have to sit down and think of the first 5 to 10 tier 2's you want on your site and then put those keywords through brainstorm it. This will help to give you an idea whether there are enough keywords for each of your chosen subjects.
Having such a broad niche does mean it will take a lot of time and effort on your part as you will need hundreds of pages in lots of different subjects before you will start being seen as an authority on wow factor. Perhaps as you go through your lists of tier 2's you will find a better umbrella to cover what you want to write about. Something that narrows it down a bit so it's not a site that is about everything and anything.

In the tips and techniques HQ you will find lots of other articles on how to find a niche as well.

I hope that helps,
#1387954 by Maria from Agness
Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:16 pm
Hi Vesna,

Just had another idea that might help you tie your interests together. Curios, as in a curiosity shop.
The definition of Curiosity shop is - a shop selling unusual items and curios
I've no idea if there are online versions but it would be a great way to tie some of your interests together under one umbrella. An online curiosity shop could also have information pages about unusual ideas, places or things.
Curiosity shop is probably trademarked, I don't know, I haven't checked but Vesna's Curio's or something similar might be available.

I hope that helps,
#1387989 by Susan from Ash Flat
Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:52 pm
Hi Vesna. While trolling Pinterest for inspiration I came across a website called purewow.com Immediately thought of you. Figured you might be interested in taking a look at it :)
#1389355 by Vesna from the Twin Cities
Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:50 pm

Hello, All!

Thanks for the great links and suggestions. Sorry for the delay in responding. I didn't know there were additional posts until last night.

Since my last post, I brainstormed on the motivations for my passions to see what topics surfaced and also to see if others feel the same way about them as I do, etc. I went through artisan craft(s), something different, human interest, fascinating, exciting, interesting, unusual, unique, gifts, anniversary gifts. I've discovered that people have an obsession with news and facts.

I was about to request help on my anniversary gifts BI evaluation, but your posts fired me back up on my wider scope, everyday passions. wow-factor might be a good descriptor, but, as noted, nothing someone would search for and which shouldn't use it as a dumping ground for everything and anything, but for something more targeted.

I've dropped human interest stories (harder to locate and probably harder to monetize) and categorized my everyday passions into these 3 areas:

gifts and crafts/hobbies <= cool-looking things
    products (may include apps) <= useful technology
    goal: to share cool-looking and/or useful things with others, i.e., "enlighten" others

I like the idea of a curiosity shop, but, after Googling, I think the connotation might be a little on the old-sounding, old-fashioned side.

Both http://www.purewow.com and https://mydailydiscovery.com are simple, clean, and classy looking websites.

I like http://www.purewow.com, but I'm not suited for nor interested in writing best-of-breed or top X list articles.

I love https://mydailydiscovery.com. I definitely have some ideas on what I'd do to expand on the concept to make it my own.

I'm going to brainstorm concepts showcase(s), notable, and outstanding. Those words sum up the 2 features I'd like to base my business on: showcasing notable/outstanding gifts, crafts/hobbies, and products.

I know it would be in my favor SE-wise to have the site concept keywords in the website name. At this time, variations of NotablesShowcase, MyNotablesShowcase, OutstandingShowcases, and MyOutstandingShowcases are all available as website names.

Thanks, again, for ALL your help! Keep you posted!

#1389377 by Vesna from the Twin Cities
Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:03 am
Brainstorming Update!

Brainstormed: showcase(s), gallery/galleries, collection(s), portfolio(s), album(s). No one really searches for groups like these for things like gifts, crafts, hobbies, products, or apps.

Also brainstormed: notable, outstanding. No one really searches for notable or outstanding gifts, crafts, hobbies, products, or apps.

Looks like I'm temporarily stymied.

Tomorrow, I'll look at my potential competitors (purewow and mydailydiscovery) to see what kind of keywords they're using to get found, etc. Maybe, brainstorm those, plus pick(s), find(s), discovery/discoveries and other synonyms for the group types I came up with. (I still like showcase.)

Signing off for tonight...

#1389378 by Mary from Mico
Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:08 am
Hi Vesna,

I am so glad that you continue to search for a best site concept.

Be encouraged. It is so worth the effort!

#1389416 by Bruno from Strange Visions
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:12 pm
Some Keywords that came to me whilst browsing this thread were:
Daily hacks
Tech news
Art gifts

Possible domain name was "Mankind Relics", the call-to-arms slogans being "Things to Make You Smile, Daily" or "Beautiful Artifacts, Daily".

These are my point of view, but maybe something could be extracted from these.
#1389448 by Vesna from the Twin Cities
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:04 am
Hello, All!

Bruno, thanks for the input. Knowing myself, I will need to stay away from being a human news feed, otherwise I'd be absorbed in researching all day and never posting anything! :wink: Not sure if I want to commit to daily updating, just in case I can't pull it off. Thanks for the reminder about coming up with a call-to-arms slogan. I've added that to my want-to-do list.

I spent a lot of time thinking and Internet browsing today. I narrowed my focus even more, down to gifts instead of just things or products.

From my previous research, "unique gift(s)" is my best option. Numbers are lower for "unusual gifts", "unique unusual gifts", "unusual unique gifts", and "unique unusual gift". “interesting gift(s)” barely reported any BI numbers. “gift(s)” wasn’t even listed for "exciting", "fascinating", or "something different".

With that in mind, I've sharpened my focus to...

unique gifts: includes technology products and apps
some of which would include class referrals, DIY creation instructions, or DIY hack instructions

premise: gifts can be for yourself or others and can be unconventional (think a Virtual Reality experience, bringing an artsy cake to a birthday party as your present, or splurging on an artsy cake for your wedding)

Monetization is intended to mainly be through gift sale, DIY supply sale, and class referrals.

Brainstorming should point me at the different target groups for my Level 2 mini-sites, either gift recipient type or gift type, etc.

My questions...

(1) I had originally written my focus using the descriptor "interesting" instead of "unique", but then realized that my BI research didn't support that focus. I originally included this definition:

interesting is an aspect of the gift that is appealing—inspirational/motivational, beautiful, cool-looking, unique, a different spin, an intriguing combination of functionality, fulfills an unaddressed need, etc.

I have a feeling that people are really searching for gifts that are different, as in "not the same thing you see everywhere" or "not the same thing I always end up buying," instead of searching for gifts that are actually unique or one-of-a-kind.

"interesting" and "unique" are so subjective. In this whole wide world, how do you really know that a duplicate doesn't exist? I don’t think anyone can confirm that something is truly unique or one-of-a-kind.

Would it be wrong to present gift choices that I think would be "interesting" to others and pass them off as "unique"?

(2) If I find something that I think others would be interested in, but it doesn't fit any Level 2 target group, should that stop me from adding it to my online business catalog under a new Level 2? Personally, I would consider it a bonus or nice perk for my visitors.

(3) A lot of commenters have suggested domain names that include words besides the potential site concept keywords. What kind of leeway is there in this arena?

I would think that part of the domain name should be personalized to match your business' persona, i.e., a catchy name/concept, and to help attract visitors. I'm now thinking about my website as something like a "unique gifts trunk show", a concept that I could have some fun with. I'm sure this topic is covered later on in the Action Guide, but some insights would help me out right now.

Comments on my narrowed focus? Answers to my questions?

#1389492 by Mary from Mico
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:13 pm

Hi Vesna,

I think you've got a great idea with

unique gifts: includes technology products and apps
some of which would include class referrals, DIY creation instructions, or DIY hack instructions

YET.... DIY, creations, hacks are probably their own site concepts and quite wide also.

You may be able to narrow the unique gifts idea to a tighter site concept, yet it might also be good enough if the numbers work. I think that compared to what you've mentioned above that this is a good direction, yet think that unique gifts is still quite broad.

Yes, you're right about the branding, too. Sitesell likes to point to Google, Facebook, Twitter, et al. Very brandable and no site concept in sight. :-)

Is something like DIYuniquegifts available as a domain name? You can still use Unique Gifts as a site concept, yet the DIY element can help narrow the focus and give a bit of a brand. (homemade, fun, men, women, children, etc.)

Maybe unique gift registry ideas?

'Just some ideas.

#1389495 by Dee from Cape Cod
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:49 pm

Hi Vesna -

I'll start with the easy one first :wink: ...

You said:

I know it would be in my favor SE-wise to have the site concept keywords in the website name.

Not necessarily! Back in the olden days, we were encouraged to have the site concept keyword in our domain name. But nowadays, there's little (if any) SE benefit to that. Now it's more important to have a short, snappy, brand-able domain name. If it includes your SCK or part of it - good. If not, that's okay!

When it comes time to choose your domain name, there's a great thread somewhere in the forums - a challenge, of sorts, to come up with a great domain name that's under 10 letters long.

* Edited to add: https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=202837

However, you're not quite to the domain-naming part of the process yet. So don't get too hung up on that at this point. First, you need to find your perfect niche!
Vesna from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[Plymouth] wrote:I have a feeling that people are really searching for gifts that are different, as in "not the same thing you see everywhere" or "not the same thing I always end up buying," instead of searching for gifts that are actually unique or one-of-a-kind.

Nobody in their right mind is looking for the same ol' generic gifts that you find everywhere. :wink: They're looking for gifts that'll make the recipient think, "Wow! How cool is that?!". :D:D:D

With the Holidays just passed, a few friends' birthdays coming up, and a new baby in the family, I can tell you that I'm on the hunt for a bunch of really unique gift ideas. And it's not easy to find them! So a site that's dedicated to fun and totally "different" gifts is, IMHO, really necessary.

I just did a quick vertical BI for "unique gift", and it turned up a ton of keywords with nice-looking demand/supply numbers. If that's the direction you decide to go with your new online business, you should have plenty to work with - and some excellent monetization options, too. :D

Best Regards,

#1389501 by Vesna from the Twin Cities
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:46 pm
Hello, again!

I've been seeing a lot more marketing-worthy domain names that don't "fit" the SCKs. Just wanted to confirm my suspicions. It'll be nice to have some creative freedom in this arena.

As for content, I really can't afford to, and don't want to, make it a DIY-centered site. I retired a year ago and realized I already have enough craft projects stock-piled/planned to take me through 3 retirements. I want to dabble here and there with some new crafts, as I see related things to add to my gift catalog, but I can't go nuts doing DIY.

During my forum absence, I brainstormed "unique gifts" and liked the numbers, too. I honed in on "anniversary gifts", however, and returned to this post to ask questions about its duplicate keywords and numbers. After reading the replies I missed, I realized that "anniversary gifts" wouldn’t satisfy my passion for searching for (and drooling over) cool things, no matter how much of a romantic and sentimental person I am. It's not like I can't have an anniversary gift category.

You guys pumped me up, again! I might just have to go back to my wow-factor concept after all. I can see it now "Wow Factor Gifts". :D

Thanks! Keep you posted!

#1389516 by Dee from Cape Cod
Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:49 pm
Vesna from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[Plymouth] wrote:. I can see it now "Wow Factor Gifts". :D

I like it!!! WowGifts.com. :) It's short, snappy and brand-able, too. I wonder if it's still available???

(If you're going to check availability, be sure to use the SBI tools to do your checking!)

#1389592 by Bruno from Strange Visions
Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:05 pm
Vesna from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[Plymouth] wrote:I retired a year ago and realized I already have enough craft projects stock-piled/planned to take me through 3 retirements.

I don't know what is the nature of these craft projects, but what if your website became a vehicle for them? If you are interested, there's a chance others might be too and may even be eager for information on where to begin with the process of summoning them.

I agree with Dee, WowGifts sounds like a winner!
#1389607 by Vesna from the Twin Cities
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:00 pm

Providing such a vehicle for crafters and those on a budget to make their own gifts is exactly what I have in mind. :D

I’d like to include that kind of info where I can, and try some new crafts myself here and there without losing focus on working my business. I also don’t want to spend lots of money on crafts I won’t necessarily do the rest of my life. I think it wouldn’t be wise to have the business be entirely DIY-focused. Not everyone is DIY-inclined, nor has the time to do that, hence the primary focus on gifts with DIY as a secondary focus. It’s that time/talent vs. money trade-off thing. There’s also a lot of DIY competition out there.

Some of those crafts I’ve already identified are kirigami (the art behind pop-up greeting cards), folded book art, kanzashi (ribbon flowers, etc.), tambour beading and embroidery (used to embellish garments). Google them to see some examples. Hopefully, gentlemen as well as ladies will like some of these.

Gift ideas keep popping into my head the more I evaluate the numbers and think about the unique gift universe.

Thanks for the confirmation on the Wow Gifts branding.

More later!