What knowledge, expertise, passion, hobby, or interest do you have? Which is best for your Site Concept? How do you position it to be "uniquely you"? Is your Niche too broad or too narrow? Too broad will stretch a solopreneur's available time beyond its limits. Too narrow may limit income potential. Get help to find the right niche for you!

Moderator: Carol from East Anglia

#1388835 by Cecilia from USA
Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:07 am
Hello and thank you for reading!

(disclaimer - this is a rather long post)

Products so good NASA and Google want them?

I am working with a long established company dedicated to health and wellness. Their products are top-notch and are sold via a direct marketing model. I am affiliated with their local distributor in New Jersey (where I live). I would earn a commission on sales. The products are not cheap but they are the best - however, they have financing set-up as part of the model.

Some background:

I have known them for about 2 years, they are honest and hard working people. I started out with them to sell their water filters / purification systems. After thorough training as a "water technician", I knew their products were the real deal, truly the best! And I learned so much, you have no idea!

I then went out to promote the product to my family and friends.

The process in a nutshell is: call them up and make an appointment; meet them at their home and talk about the importance of water for your health, the reality of our sources of water (tap and bottled), lab proof of what is in our water and how much the filter takes out (in %s), proceed to do a water test (testing their tap, bottled and any filtered water they use) - the test covers chlorine, pH, minerals, nitrates, ammonia and water softness. You then offer them different water filters and purifiers, depending on their needs and situation, with monthly payment plans or one bulk payment.

And I did some sales.

But I didn't feel great about actually meeting people and selling. The whole "direct" part of the direct marketing approach is not appealing to me (that's why Avon, Mary Kay and the like are not for me), but I believe in the product wholeheartedly!. I feel that doing it in an 'indirect' way by means of a website is better for me (as I love writing and am good with media) and leave the face-to-face to the people that are great at it, the sales team!

So, I proposed that I would set up a website to promote the products and get them customers (leads) and let the sales team meet with the customer, presents the product (do a water test) and make the sale while I get a commission - and they agreed! So here I am.

Also, in the last year or so, they have expanded their products and are promoting other items that are also in the health and wellness category and of superb quality.

Some of these products can be shipped directly to the customer if they are so interested that they skip the presentation/demo/test. This means that sales are not limited to New Jersey but can in fact be national, at least in the long run (they have sold stuff even to people in other countries).

I think the CTPM process of SBI! is perfectly fitted for this opportunity, right?

Narrowing a broad niche:

The idea is to start the website with the offer of the water filters / purifiers and then branch out into the other products.

Some of the other products I'd be offering down the road are:

- air purifiers (NASA uses them)
- juicers
- vacuum sealing food containers
- water-less and grease-less cooking pots and pans
- grounding mattresses (reduces electromagnetic radiation) (Google wanted to buy them for Asian market but the company refused to sell the patent, true story)

As you can see, all the products are related and belong to one 'family'.

I understand I will not be writing a sales-pitch filled website, I am educating and informing my customers first and then offering them a solution/benefit. I have plenty to write about for this topic(s). As I read somewhere, think it was Edison - I am not selling light bulbs, I'm selling light (in this case not selling water filters but selling health and self-care)!

I also understand that no matter what I choose, I will find keywords and make the MKL work.

I am just unsure about the angle, spin or niche of the site. So that it informs my Brainstorming sessions (which I have already started with 3 seed words: "health", "water test" and "water purification" - the results not giving me many ideas though...).

Having said all the above, and if you're still with me, how should I focus my brand new website??

If you guys were in my shoes:

- would you develop a site concept around "health and wellness" or "water filters" or focus in "New Jersey"

- would you use a broad domain name/home page and then start making Tier 2/Tier 3 pages about water and then develop more Tier 2 pages for the other products?

- would you create separate websites for each product?

- would you stick to a local kind of niche (New Jersey), for either health and wellness or water filters?

- should I angle it as "home", "family", "women", "weight-loss" or whatever?

Or am I not thinking creatively? Maybe there is a way around this that I have not thought about?

What are your first thoughts? How do you think you would focus the site?

Thank you for your candid opinions! I am not even sure what questions to ask(!)

#1388841 by Jacki from Macleod
Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:48 am
Cecilia from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[Bogota] wrote:- would you use a broad domain name/home page and then start making Tier 2/Tier 3 pages about water and then develop more Tier 2 pages for the other products?
This^^ :D
#1388865 by Debs from SiteSell
Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:38 pm
I would use a branded domain, not a broad one. This can allow the intro of other products, but put your creative hat on and come up with one that is 10 characters or less ... when you are ready, do read: https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=202837

Now back to the niche ... don't go too broad here either or you will find it hard to gain momentum in the search engines. It sounds like your ideas cover more toward wellness but with a safety twist. Do the benefit presell, so research those keywords, don't focus on the end product (water filters, food containers, etc). Those end product keywords are best for T3 pages.

So you might have to cherry pick your T2s, do some research on

clean water
healthy water
safe water
water test

Yes, the singular 'water' is way too broad, but you could research it, then comb through, keep the best, get rid of the rest. Do the same for your other T2s when ready.

Be sure and click the G (Google) and B (Bing) buttons for the best looking keywords to see what Google feels the search intent of that keyword might be, you need to understand the search intent to see further than what 2 or 3 word keywords may be telling you. I learned that the hard way when Panda hit.

Hope this helps,

#1388951 by Cecilia from USA
Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:18 pm
Thank you so much!

I take many lessons from your reply: branded name, benefit pre-sell as keywords (why didn't I think of it this way!) and search intent is crucial.

You're the best!
#1389539 by Cecilia from USA
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:21 am
Quick question:

I have several good keywords on my MKL to develop the content of my site. They have demand above 2,000 and hit the supply sweet spot (20,000-60,000). Tier 2s and Tier 3s do not worry me.

The site keyword for the home page / domain is where I an having doubts.

Are the numbers for this specific keyword (that I can then "brand") too low for it to become part of my domain name:

holistic wellness 6,405 (demand) 2,534 (supply), 2,528 (profitability) **it would fit perfectly with the nuances of my products and content**

These are other 2 alternatives:

women health 44,625; 20,575; 2,142
health remedies 43,235; 4,722; 9,156

I have read that ultimately your home page keyword is your last keyword to rank with SE but should portray the voice and VPP of the site - so that is why I think holistic wellness may work great...

Thank you for any feedback!
#1389540 by Jacki from Macleod
Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:14 am

Boy, if you could find the right keyword with the numbers like

Cecilia from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[Bogota] wrote:health remedies 43,235; 4,722; 9,156
this one, that would be perfect. Maybe keep looking, if you can't find the right one. Don't settle!