What knowledge, expertise, passion, hobby, or interest do you have? Which is best for your Site Concept? How do you position it to be "uniquely you"? Is your Niche too broad or too narrow? Too broad will stretch a solopreneur's available time beyond its limits. Too narrow may limit income potential. Get help to find the right niche for you!

Moderator: Carol from East Anglia

#1389092 by Clare from Concepcion
Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:27 pm
Season's Greetings! I'm getting an early start on my New Year's resolution and any suggestions will be gratefully received.

I want to be as sure as possible I’ve grasped the right end of the stick before I tie on a flag and run uphill waving enthusiastically.

Bringing together a site blueprint, while keeping the bigger picture in mind, I've studied the Action Guide and lots of supporting material, read fascinating forum threads and done a good deal of other research. Theory and practice aren't quite the same though! I feel I haven’t yet fully grasped all I need to move forward with confidence (possibly coaching might be a good investment :) ).

I can't quite figure out how the excellent domain name advice ‘10 characters or less if possible’ comes together with a Tier 1 site concept keyword. I feel I’m missing something obvious.

So, the first question in my mind is how the Site Concept and domain name fit together and what exactly is a Site Concept?

My general area is children's books; specifically picture books for little ones.
Examples from my MKL:
- childrens books 44495/170225
- childrens book 34830/35449
- children books 22638/6193
- story books 10229/6052

A travel site named visitmytown brings everything together logically but how to apply this here?

I have a page of possibilities such as firstbooktreasures one of which might work but then what would my Site Concept/Tier 1 keyword be?

Please unmuddle me!

#1389102 by Harini from India
Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:10 pm
Hi Clare,
Welcome to SBI! My understanding of the SiteConcept is that it is single theme (keyword) that ties up all the contents of your site. So based on your suggestions above, you can choose any of the four keywords as your Site Concept. But maybe the first one with 170K Real Supply might not be very appropriate as the competition will be very high. But if you have the time and passion for it, then go for it :)

Regarding the domain name, from what I could get from the AG, it is better to have part of the Site Concept keyword and follow it up with some other marketing word that reflects your VPP.

Hope some of my ideas are of help...

All the best!
#1389106 by Jacki from Macleod
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:10 pm
Harini (SBI for WP user wrote:xample:

Or, cut right to the chase and choose something like kidsread.com - wow eight letters!
#1389111 by Clare from Concepcion
Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:37 pm
Thank you Harini and Jacki for taking time to help me and for your clever ideas.

Forgive me for labouring the point but if I chose kidsread or kidsbooks4u how would my site concept be 'childrens books' from the search engine point of view? Wouldn't it be eg 'kids books' in the 2nd case (numbers 15546/24401)?

How do I differentiate on my home page for the keyword childrens book instead of childrens books? Is it how I write the page?

I do like the idea of the shorter memorable names :D
#1389115 by Harini from India
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:10 pm
From what I understand till now, it is good to have the SCK as part of the domain name, but not really mandatory. Google looks more at the metadata (keywords list etc.) you'd provide on each page while building them and also the keywords in the body of the page itself to see if your page is relevant for the search word provided by the user....

So as long as you have "childrens books" in the meta data of your Tier 1 page and also mentioned a few times in the text of the page, it should be ok to have any name as the domain. Of course if you can get the Site Concept keyword itself into the domain name (while keeping it short and memorable), then it's perfect :D But if not, it does not affect the search result by much either....
#1389162 by Debs from SiteSell
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:50 pm
Actually, " it is good to have the SCK as part of the domain name, " is no longer true as it often leads to long, hyphenated domain names or runtogetherwordsthatarehardtounderstand. Best to brand vs multiple word keyword in the domain.

They don't have to obviously relate (SCK and domain); made up words work well too. It is all in how your brand it. Branding includes the images you use, site design, logo, and the content (including headlines) on your pages. These can all be used to effectively brand your niche and your site as uniquely yours.

I made up a word for my main SBI! site (which I've since sold) by putting a hugely competitive single word with a concept... Debt and Steps. Love the domain, wouldn't do the same concept (helping people get out of debt = hence "Steps") ever again though, just too competitive! But I think it's a good example of having the "idea" the "VPP" without all the words ;)

Hope this helps.

#1389167 by Clare from Concepcion
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:15 pm
Thank you so much Debs,

The page of names I'm collecting are mostly just that kind of made up word. You have given me the confidence to move forward more or less uncoupling the SCK and domain name tasks (although perhaps a site about knitting baby bootees wouldn't be best named dogsRus :) ).

I can now make a blueprint framework with "SCK {shortlist of candidates} + domain name {page of possibilities} " in the Tier 1 slot.

I have potential Tier 2s and Tier 3s that I want to look at more closely. In particular I plan to investigate search intent much more thouroughly to make sure what I have to offer is a match.

If you're already in 2018 I hope it's looking good for you - I'll be joining you later!

Best wishes,