What knowledge, expertise, passion, hobby, or interest do you have? Which is best for your Site Concept? How do you position it to be "uniquely you"? Is your Niche too broad or too narrow? Too broad will stretch a solopreneur's available time beyond its limits. Too narrow may limit income potential. Get help to find the right niche for you!

Moderator: Carol from East Anglia

#1389127 by Bruno from Strange Visions
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:05 am
Have been slowly coming around the Brainstorm It! tool, and am finally starting to progress from understanding nil to understanding a few basics. My niches have been so obvious to me right from DAY 1 (or 0, as I purchased SBI with them in mind) that I have been researching them right away after reading the DAY 2 recommendations, yet, the learning curve is quite steep and, being a failure at Mathematics, I am not sure I am interpreting the results as I should.

The terms I researched were:

The niches are:
Ancient Egyptian history away from the Limelight (i.e. Obscuregypt), which means, in a nutshell, no Tutankhamun, no Pyramid of Khufu, no Cleopatra, but the ignored, unfamous, largely unknown rest of the 4000 years of their history: other pharaohs, queens, tombs, temples, and a large host of the evolution from period to period.

My art, surreal, science-inspired, with touches of humour and horror and fully experimental (i.e. SciPhonics). I know it from the inside-out and have a wealth of material to explain and sell - also, am hungry to find an audience.

The problems, though, are that, in the way I am interpreting the data (again, I may be deadly wrong), these niches may be so narrow that I might be the only peer in them, like driftwood. The first scares me because the only means of income I can think of are passive ones, and I am not sure if anybody really cares about the Second Intermediate Period (for example) except for Doctors who know way more about it than me anyway; the second is equally daunting because I cannot even begin to understand how would I market Electro Acoustic Music, prints of Surreal Paintings and Drawings, books of stories and lyrics of plain strangeness, and the fact I am available for playing this stuff live.

So yes, I am lost, and would be very grateful to read your opinions.
#1389168 by Bruno from Strange Visions
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:24 pm
So, my sleep was very disturbed tonight and I dreamt of choosing Keywords and such, and it seems I have grasped it, finally.

The guide says:
"Your job in DAY 2 is to find a Site Concept Keyword with a Supply range that is winnable and with a reasonable number of keywords with good Demand (greater than 1,000).

A Site Concept Keyword with too many keywords having Demand greater than 1,000 means the niche is likely too big. If Supply is relatively low though, you could have a real winner! In this case, it's quite possible that there is a good, winnable sub-niche located somewhere within that bigger niche.

And the results I have found seem to be almost a verbatim example of this.

Or am I still wrong?
A print-screen of what I have found.
exultedbyresults.jpg (63.76 KiB) Viewed 317 times
#1389234 by Bruno from Strange Visions
Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:05 am
Day 3 is ending now and I am very confident in the shape the whole thing is taking!

So far, my sight is becoming clearer that the Egyptian Path is the most likely to become my first SBI! business - which, in itself, is quite a wonder, given that these wondrous ancestors of ours have been a love of my life since I first saw Bob Brier's "Pyramids, Mummies and Tombs" in 2002 (I was 7).

It seems it will be Keyworded as "egypt tourism", but it is a different kind of it, more like a connoisseur builder or traveler's guide to the ancient civilisation, striving to do to others what the aforementioned documentary did to me: to open people's eyes to the ingeniosity of the ancient egyptians and the surprising familiarity of much of their life, stripping away the glitter to reveal a much richer theme and urging everyone to explore further and discover more.

Using the Excel sheet provided, I planned 12 Tier 2 pages - 2 of them envisioned as interactive Content 2.0 fiestas - and 45 Tier 3 pages. All of these for a headstart, of course, as I can see it becoming much bigger and better, with subjects for as long as the civilisation's timeline itself!

One again, I share a Brainstorm It! print, but please don't tell me I'm boring and really not an awful lot of fun. :wink: Also, I invite all who are interested to share their opinions and, if I am misguided, to please help.
#1389235 by Jacki from Macleod
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:15 am
Your screenshot shows some excellent T2 and T3 keywords. You're on the right track :D
#1389254 by Bruno from Strange Visions
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:39 pm
Oh, thank you very much - that's a relief! :lol:
So, on to Day 4!
#1389256 by Bruno from Strange Visions
Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:18 pm
Another question is: does the concept of audience I wish to serve make sense? Or does it seem like an antagonistic concatenation?
The print I had forgotten to share earlier.
closertoresolution.jpg (49.96 KiB) Viewed 202 times
#1389279 by Bruno from Strange Visions
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:06 pm
Sorry to keep flooding here, but Day 4 has brought a reassessment of my Day 2 and 3 activities.

From the newly-attached print, one can clearly see the two keywords I am willing to use, but I cannot decide how much "ancient egypt" is doable or how much it would be worth to go for "egypt tourism" instead.

It is an epistemologic doubt first, because I have much more knowledge in Ancient Egypt than Tourism - a practice I see as a necessary evil - and much more passion too, so it would be a no-brainer if the results weren't so confusing. Under such light, the first question is: how much harder would it be to have a payoff using "ancient egypt" as Keyword instead of "egypt tourism"?

The Guide says, "Don't misunderstand the term "keyword-focused"... writing pages around keywords does not mean sacrificing quality.

Yes, the misuse of keywords sacrifices quality. But as long as you get your "keyword ante" more or less right (i.e., get the basic on-page signals right for the engines), and as long as you aren't using any tricks or stuffing to the point where reading the copy is painful, it's hard to keyword-butcher a page.

As I interpret it, I could use "egypt tourism", which has a lower threshold of Profitability but higher chance of working out due to much smaller competition in comparison. But I have doubts as to how much it would be Keyword Misuse to use that, given that I know I wouldn't be as satisfied writing about it as I would about Ancient Egypt, and so would end up going for the latter anyway.

The problem also arrises as it has to do with what I asked in the earlier post. I have very clearly in my mind the picture of who I want to have as an audience (other than beautiful girls 8) ), and they are not tourists as one thinks of the term, but individuals like me: a bit eccentric and sarcastic, who look for different and unusual angles to things, yearn to learn about the subjects they pick deeply and thoroughly; and the problem is that I cannot see them typing into Google "egypt tourism" to find websites of content like the one I want to produce. It also goes the other way: I cannot see tourists interested in sight-seeing the most popular "attractions" and taking photographs of them finding my website and staying in it, because it would go deeper and I would invite the audience itself to bring the "travel content". Thus, the second question is: how paradoxal or counterproductive is the scenario described?

I am considering a Vector Shift or Compromise at this stage, depending of your views, because I am very confused, unsure and insecure now...
Customary print.
anothercrux.jpg (10.45 KiB) Viewed 179 times
#1389281 by Debs from SiteSell
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:23 pm
Go for the niche where you have the passion, but figure out 2 things before you move ahead ...

1. what will be your unique Valuable Preselling Proposition on the niche ... why should I visit your site instead of that other site ... what makes your site unique? Can you make that into a slogan of 3 to 7 words?

2. how do you plan to monetize your site?

Don't ever take a keyword away from the search intent Google has determined for it, you will run into issues if you do.

All my best,

#1389282 by Bruno from Strange Visions
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:18 pm
Ok, "ancient egypt" it will be!

1 - That's quite easy for me, I think of stuff like this all the time for my lyrics!
As Human as Ever; Science with Flair, No Bombast; What The TV Forgets; Off The Beaten Track; For Critical Minds; Away From Crackpots - and there's much more, actually.

2 - I am studying this as part of Day 4, but, so far, I have thought of: affiliate links to travel agencies; affiliate links to Amazon Books; membership subscription for more in-depth pages; maybe self-authored short books (non-academic, for children) on the natural life, which I might pull off, theoretically, given that I am 62,5% completed on a Biological Sciences degree.

Thanks for the invaluable help, Debs, I almost reverted to rocking back and forth for a while there!