What knowledge, expertise, passion, hobby, or interest do you have? Which is best for your Site Concept? How do you position it to be "uniquely you"? Is your Niche too broad or too narrow? Too broad will stretch a solopreneur's available time beyond its limits. Too narrow may limit income potential. Get help to find the right niche for you!

Moderator: Carol from East Anglia

#1389206 by Jerry from Pell City
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:00 am
Hello all from sunny Florida!

Here is my situation and I would love some objective insights.

I work for a company as their "Dream Manager"... and yes that is a real job. My job is to help the employees reach their personal and professional dreams in a coaching role.

During this process, I developed a very unique budgeting process based on the problems that many of my clients were having with their traditional monthly budgets. The main solution is easy to use software in order to create a monthly budget... and then the software helps them create a paycheck based budget that solves many of the problems of using just a monthly budget.

I also teach a method to mirror their paycheck based budget in a very popular web-based budgeting software that makes it easy to use in real time.

However, this is a very strange market to jump into. The results from teaching this to over 50 people are great, but the word budget is not a very popular or fun word.

In fact, this unique twist fits perfect with the teaching of Dave Ramsey and other financial gurus that talk about budgeting. This process actually puts practical legs to the whole concept.

I call the process "How to give yourself an instant pay raise without working harder" because it also shows people they are wasting each month by not using a budget, which is usually around $300 a month for average income earners... and this program works wonders for people who get paid with bi-weekly paychecks.

I tried using the brainstormit tool with different the words budget and debt, but had a hard time analyzing the results.

I also looked at some other keywords that I had some interest in, but still had a challenge really understanding the results.

I thought that if I added some other keywords a new niche my pop up, but I did not see it. The other words I was using was:

Debt (Getting out of debt)
Family (spending more time with my family doing things)

So this is where I am at and not sure what my next step should be.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
#1389209 by Nancy from 90% Persistence-10% Inspiration
Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:01 am

Jerry, here's a few ideas to try in BrainStormIt! to help you achieve your dream:

• The name of the budgeting software you're using
  • Amazon: Look up Dave Ramsey's books. Scroll down to Product Details for each of them. Look what topics pop up under the "Best Sellers Rank" listings
  • Put each of the topics that you found on Amazon into UberSuggest

Am still goggly-eyed at your job title. :mrgreen: That's one company interested in employee retention!
#1389216 by Chase from Dillsburg
Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:17 pm
Hi Jerry -
Your site concept idea sounds intriguing!

Have you tried using a thesaurus for synonyms of words that apply to your idea? Then run ones that work best (e.g. moneysaving ideas) thru Brainstorm It. I have a synonym dictionary that has helped me tremendously over the years...sometimes a lightbulb goes off when I see a word I haven't thought of - and find BI likes it too.

Best of luck to you - and stay warm in our upcoming South Florida "cold snap!"

#1389221 by Jerry from Pell City
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:20 pm
Nancy from 90% Persistence-10% Inspiration wrote:Jerry, here's a few ideas to try in BrainStormIt! to help you achieve your dream:

[list][*]The name of the budgeting software you're using

I entered "Instant Pay Raise" into BrainstormIt and it did not yield anything. The results were all over the place but not of it was related to the topic.

I put a filter on the results for debt, because I know that is a painful topic to a lot of people and I can easily use my process to help people get out of debt faster based on just their current income.

I have attached a file of the results.

Can someone please help me interpret them and offer some more insights?
Search Results Debt.PNG
Here is a picture of my results
Search Results Debt.PNG (47.26 KiB) Viewed 518 times
#1389236 by Nancy from 90% Persistence-10% Inspiration
Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:41 am
Jerry, the Supply numbers on "Get out of Debt" seem a bit high. And it feels just a bit spammy.

"Debt Reduction" seems a bit more winnable. But as you said, it's not very enticing.

How about "Financial Freedom"? The numbers are do-able D25361 S36675 P692

With that focus you'd be able to talk about your debt reduction tool. But you wouldn't be limited to budgeting and paying down bills. You could also include methods to help your visitors define and then achieve their dreams and aspirations.

Just putting in my 2 cents...
#1389255 by Jerry from Pell City
Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:06 pm

Thank you so much for your help. I guess I am trying to understand what the numbers mean as far as what is winnable and what is not.

Financial Freedom is a great concept, but my first reaction is that this is a very crowded space and dominated by a few top guru's like Dave Ramsey, Suze Orman, etc...

My process actually works well with all of them because it fills a very tiny sub-niche in areas that all the guru's don't cover.

I guess I need some help understanding why those numbers suggest that that category is winnable?

Thanks again.
#1389280 by Debs from SiteSell
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:11 pm
The whole debt niche is exactly that "my first reaction is that this is a very crowded space and dominated by a few top guru's like Dave Ramsey, Suze Orman, etc..." and to top it off, finance is one area Google has opted to only show the very top guru's., or top financial institutions. Honestly, it will take years to gain any foothold there.

I think you may want to focus in on a tight target market, win that, THEN add another later, I.e. single moms, military families, seniors, college students or similar. Figure out your unique VPP; get away from the same old same old, get creative, look at the individual benefits your service/product provides ... not the features. I.e. not "get out of debt" but maybe "more money at the end of the month" ... just throwing ideas out. Obviously for keyword research you are best served not to search on more than 2 word keywords initially.

#1389334 by Jerry from Pell City
Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:59 pm

Thank you for your insight.

The core of what I developed is what I consider "The Missing Piece" to traditional monthly budgets. It solves the biggest headache of people who try to live on a monthly budget, which is what do you do when the paydays and the bills don't line up... where you have a bill due on Tuesday, but you don't get paid until Friday.

The VPP could be "Give yourself an instant pay raise" because part of the process helps people pinpoint all the hidden money they are wasting each month by not paying attention to it with a budget... and then they learn how to create a monthly budget the easy way, how to use the paycheck budget to solve the big problem and then how to set up a "Living Budget" with software that allows them to track and manage everything in real time.

It is designed for people that make a steady paycheck (either weekly or bi-weekly) who feel financially stuck.

It is a great tool and process that has really changed my clients lives, I am just having trouble marketing it in a way that attracts people and will be seen by people.

I talked to a few people about their financial pains... and the biggest thing people wanted was "more money" and "more financial security" but those are still very generic and broad words.

Do any of these phrases resonate?

Your Instant Pay Raise.
Same Paycheck. More Money.
The Missing Piece To More Money.
Turn Your Paycheck Into More Money.
The Living Budget.
#1389345 by Debs from SiteSell
Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:31 pm
Same Paycheck. More Money. I think that's a great slogan as it incorporates your VPP. PayMo or PayMor would fit as domains that incorporate both, but have 10 letters or less (didn't check availability however). Just a couple ideas.

Home Budget
Earn more (just to see what comes up w/3 words or more)
Money management
Manage money

are a few words you could try researching.

Hope this helps :)

All my best,

#1389349 by Jacki from Macleod
Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:44 pm
Jerry from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[St Petersburg] wrote:Same Paycheck. More Money.
Love it. There's also the term 'side hustle' which you could do a lateral brainstorm on.
#1389356 by Joseph from Mount Laurel
Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:56 pm
net pay increase looks good.

When I searched Google there were 5,270,000 results
You could fit in there easily I think.

Also one of the questions was (How can I increase my take home pay?)

Right up your alley.

Just a thought.
#1389357 by Jerry from Pell City
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:05 pm
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions.

So if I wanted to do something around "Same Paycheck, More Money" would that be my "site concept" and I start to brainstorm around that?

Sorry, but this is still very confusing for me as newbie.
#1389364 by Dee from Cape Cod
Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:33 pm

Hi Jerry -

Jerry from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[St Petersburg] wrote:Sorry, but this is still very confusing for me as newbie.

You're not alone! Getting a handle on BrainstormIt, keywords, and the like posed a challenge for most of us!!
Jerry from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[St Petersburg] wrote:So if I wanted to do something around "Same Paycheck, More Money" would that be my "site concept" and I start to brainstorm around that?

Nope. Same Paycheck, More Money would be the tag line for your website. (A fantastic tag line, by the way!!!)

For your site concept, think of it as the overall topic/theme of your site. In a word or two, what is your site about?

Throughout your posts, one word keeps popping up over and over and over again: The "B word" ... budget.

As I understand your process from what you've told us about it, when you boil it down to its most basic, it's all about budgeting.

So, as Debs suggested, you'd run terms like "budget" and "home budgeting" through BrainstormIt to see what you come up with.

I just ran "budgeting" through a Seed Generator Brainstorm. I don't have time right now to look at all the keywords that were returned, but these two popped up toward the top of the list and look kind of interesting:

budgeting - 16,886 demand / 134,298 supply
budget planning - 10,693 demand / 6014 supply

"Budgeting" is pretty broad, and it's unlikely that you would ever be able to win that keyword. However, "budget planning" looks like it could be winnable.

Of course, a lot more analysis (per the Action Guide process) has to be done before deciding on your site concept keyword. But it's worth investigating, IMHO. If "budget planning" turns out to be a good choice for your site concept (T1) keyword, then ...

Using examples from this forum thread:

Your domain (site) name would be: "PayMo.com"
Your tag line would be: "Same Paycheck, More Money."
Your home page (T1) keyword would be: "budget planning"
Your home page title would be: "Budget Planning Made Easy" (Sorry, I stink at writing catchy titles. I know you'll come up with something waaaaaay better!)

Throughout your home page, T2 and T3 page content, you'll naturally use the words "budget", "budget planning", "monthly budget", "stretch your paycheck", "more money", "financial security", and similar terms and concepts. Over time, your pages will be found for all those terms and many more ... all of which are directly related to your site concept: "budget planning".

I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

#1389365 by Dee from Cape Cod
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:04 am

A couple other things I should have mentioned in my earlier post ...

The demand/supply numbers for "budget planning" are a bit shy of what the AG suggests for a site concept keyword.

Jerry from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[St Petersburg] wrote:My process ... fills a very tiny sub-niche in areas that all the guru's don't cover.

If you have a very tight niche and a good monetization plan, it's definitely possible to succeed with a site concept that has less-than-perfect demand and supply numbers. This is one of those areas where it's super-important to do every bit of the analyzing process set out in the AG ... and not get too hung up on the numbers.
Jerry from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[St Petersburg] wrote:However, this is a very strange market to jump into. The results from teaching this to over 50 people are great, but the word budget is not a very popular or fun word.

You're right. The word "budget" isn't very fun. Kinda like the word "diet". :lol:

But, the reality is that no matter how much of a bummer the word "budget" might be, a whole lotta people type that word into a search bar when they're looking for advice and help on the topic. So, I say: Don't run from the word. Embrace it! Work it for all it's worth!! :wink::)

#1389636 by Jerry from Pell City
Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:42 am
So I came back to this idea to do a little more digging (while I look at my other idea as well to compare) and I did a Brainstorm on the following seedwords:

"Home Budgeting"
"Earn More"

So at this point, if I wanted to narrow down my site concept, I would say it would be "budget planning"

Most of the google searches around earning more money were sites that had "50 ways to make more money part time" or something like that.... which would give me a lot to write about, but I am not sure if people who are searching for that term are looking on how to budget, even though budgeting usually results in having more money in the month.

If my initial idea for monetizing it is to offer my monthly budget and unique paycheck based budget software and course for either $37 or $47, do you think those smaller keyword numbers would be worth going after that smaller niche?

How do I start to research if there is enough keywords to write about to make it profitable?

Here are the final results from researching those keywords:
Final results.PNG
Final results.PNG (37.34 KiB) Viewed 139 times