What knowledge, expertise, passion, hobby, or interest do you have? Which is best for your Site Concept? How do you position it to be "uniquely you"? Is your Niche too broad or too narrow? Too broad will stretch a solopreneur's available time beyond its limits. Too narrow may limit income potential. Get help to find the right niche for you!

Moderator: Carol from East Anglia

#1389515 by Alain from Ibiza
Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:06 pm

I've been stuck on finding my niche for about a month now! I'm struggling and could use some guidance from more experienced SBIers... I just can't choose one niche to stick with. I keep jumping back and forth to see if there's something better. I can't just stick with one niche.. Any guidance??

Many thanks,
#1389517 by Dee from Cape Cod
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:00 pm

Hi Alain -

Alain from Ibiza wrote:I just can't choose one niche to stick with.

Feeling like a kid in a candy store, are you??? :lol:
Alain from Ibiza wrote:I keep jumping back and forth to see if there's something better.

"Better" in what way?

The more information you can give us about what's right/wrong with the niches you've already uncovered, the easier it'll be for us to help you stop dithering. :wink::)

Best Regards,

#1389520 by Jacki from Macleod
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:13 pm
Criteria that you need to think about;

- The numbers related to demand and supply and how much time you want to work on the site.

- What the monetization potential is compared to each other,

- And, how much passion you have - this is the final and most important determining factor.
#1389524 by Alain from Ibiza
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:39 pm
It's the last factor I am struggling with - how much passion I have for the niche.

I feel like this is a little like getting married because it will be a long term commitment and I just don't want to screw this up by making the wrong choice! I want to choose something I can stay passionate about for years and years!

Many thanks,
#1389532 by Maria from Agness
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:45 am
Hi Alain,

I think that you have to accept that your passions may change in the future. What you need to look for is something that you are passionate about now and have been for a while.
Is there something you can talk about non-stop and still feel excited about?
What sort of non-fiction books/ebooks/magazine do you read?
What do people come to you for advice about?

Yeah it will feel a bit like a marriage and some days you won't even want to think about the niche you have chosen but the passion you have for the subject should be enough to bring you back again and again.
And if you do lose your passion for the subject completely you can use the practical skills you would have learned to move on to something else.

At the moment you're caught in the ready - aim, ready - aim mode the AG talks about. Choose one or two or even three subjects you really enjoy and work through the first 5 days of the AG to see which one has the better chance of gaining an audience and making money (if that's what you want). If you are still not sure then talk to peple who know you and ask them which one they can see you working on for years to come.

Of course you can come back to the forums and ask questions here, the more you can tell us the easier it is for us to help.

I hope that helps a bit,
#1389542 by Nancy from 90% Persistence-10% Inspiration
Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:20 am
Alain, the word "passion" is very intimidating for many of us. We get stuck thinking that we should feel about our niche the same way that an addict feels about drugs. Obsessive, ignoring everything else, abandoning all other interests...FOREVER.

You don't have to give up everything. You just have to START with one thing.

Forget asking what your passion is. Instead, for each niche ask yourself:
- Can I be honest and truthful?
- Is it something that will help others?
- Would I do this if I was a billionaire?
- Is it something that I'd want on my tombstone?
#1390270 by David from California
Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:23 pm
You need to decide: Business or hobby?

So if you are hesitant because of doubt about long-term passion, consider this.

I have found that most people become passionate about a topic or niche that brings in a lot of money.

Focus on how you might monetize each niche that you are considering. Ultimately, that is what is going to make or break you.

No one wants to spend zillions of hours on a subject even if they are passionate it if it makes little or no money. Unless they are independently wealthy and do this for a hobby.

It's like buying a boat - you love it except it becomes a "hole in the water where you keep throwing money in."

So, yes, passion is great. But if you don't make any money for your time... well, you need to decide.