What knowledge, expertise, passion, hobby, or interest do you have? Which is best for your Site Concept? How do you position it to be "uniquely you"? Is your Niche too broad or too narrow? Too broad will stretch a solopreneur's available time beyond its limits. Too narrow may limit income potential. Get help to find the right niche for you!

Moderator: Carol from East Anglia

#1389536 by Jerry from Pell City
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:22 am
Just wanted to throw this out for some help. I recently worked on a topic around budgeting, but I am not super passionate about it at this point... maybe because I have been teaching this to my clients for 3 years.

Here is my true passion:

To connect with and build a community or mastermind type group where we are all helping each other pursue our dreams with more purpose and passion, through regular get togethers, small adventure trips, and through unique and practical resources.

My dream role would be the curator and facilitator.

If this was your passion, where would you start to research on how to build a business around this?

Thank you.
#1389543 by Jacki from Macleod
Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:21 am
Jerry from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[St Petersburg] wrote:My dream role would be the curator and facilitator.
That sounds awesome! Not sure how you would go about researching it, sorry :(
#1389548 by Maria from Agness
Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:46 am
Hi Jerry,

I think I understand what you mean but it seems a bit vague. What dreams and passions would you help others with?
There are several of these types of retreats within the artistic community, you can go on crafty cruises or hire a cabin in the woods with other writers to help your creativity. I've never done this but I see them all the time in the creative magazines I buy, I think many have membership sites that you can join for a montly/yearly fee.
There are articles in the monetization HQ about membership sites http://mhq.sitesell.com/#MEMBER

If this is the sort of thing you mean then you will probably need to narrow it down to a common theme. Something that everyone visiting the site and joining you on retreats has as a common interest. You could then start by creating a public site about the subject in general and offering membership to those who want a more in depth experience.
Arranging get togethers and organising everything is out of my experience, but you may later be able to get discounts in return for advertising and reviewing the places you may want to visit.

You may want to start by looking at what is already available in your areas of interest and perhaps even joining a membership site. Not to copy their ideas but to help you to understand how it all works.

I may have completely misunderstood your post (this happens a lot :lol: ) if so just ignore or clarify what you actually mean if you can.

#1389552 by Jerry from Pell City
Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:45 am

You made some great points. The original idea comes as an extension of my job. I am the Dream Manager for my company... and yes, that is a real title. My job is to help the employees at my company to go after their dreams, both personal and professional.

One of the things that many men face is that they feel isolated and alone in their challenges and think they are the only one going through it. Many men also feel stuck and they are lacking meaning and purpose in their lives. Many of them have been in a job that is no longer fulfilling and really only pays the bills.

They have trouble pursuing dreams in their lives because they have a hard time dreaming when they are just trying to deal with the stuff in their lives... all by themselves.

The goal would be to help these men start to dream again, whether it is going after bucket list items (aka the Bucket List Brigade) or bigger dreams, but within a community of like minded people who are supporting and helping each other in the journey.

I would provide resources and facilitate material that would help them in their journey and we all would learn from the wisdom and resources of the others.

We would also have monthly get togethers, like the Boys Night Out, where we just get together, do fun things and connect and support each other.

We would also try to do larger adventures and outings (based on people's bucket list items) a few times during the year.

So, I guess the common elements are:

Christian Men
Want to be in a supportive and fun community
Helping others reach their personal or professional dreams
Doing fun stuff with other men
Doing life together

The key parts are: Christian Men, dreams, community, adventures

I could probably put something small together within my church friends and my network, but I would love to be able to eventually have this as my dream career where it is my main focus and I have an income stream that allows me to focus on this.

That is my goal that really lights me up... just starting to look at ways to do this in a fun, practical and profitable way.

Any more thoughts on how to start would be appreciated.
#1389554 by Geoffrey from Lennox Head
Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:59 am
Hello Peter,

I feel you may be wanting to offer a way of 'support' for people who are wanting to fulfill their dreams... being connected and having others who 'get' them and facilitate them to believe and act on their dreams...

Membership to a Community of Dream Makers... could be interesting...

What tools do you use in your present work?

Geoff - I am interested in Passionate Mythical Living - could be a Dream in the Making :-)
#1389565 by Debs from SiteSell
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:04 pm
The key parts are: Christian Men, dreams, community, adventures

How about researching

Christian men (watch out for dating/sex results)
Christian adventures (here you may have to add the "male" focus as part of your value add)
Christian community (same as above, adding "male" focus)

Hope this helps,

#1389580 by Jerry from Pell City
Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:37 pm

It seems like you get the idea pretty well.

Here is the process I take my clients through in my coaching practice:

Dreamstorming - brainstorming to come up with all of their dreams in different categories
Putting those dreams into different category of dreams - short term, medium term, long term, bucket list, process driven, effort driven, etc...
Defining what dream they want to pursue first and defining what they really want using the outcome frame exercise
Putting together a practical plan with compelling goals
The proper mindset around pursuing goals using After Action Reports process and the experiment list process
Money and dreams - creating a sound financial pan to help you reach your dreams and finding an extra money hidden in your current paycheck
Money and your future - creating a plan to reach your financial dreams in the future - getting out of debt, retirement, etc...
Personality profiles - understanding your personality profile and how it affects your dreams and your life
Time management - understanding your schedule and how to create your perfect schedule based on your priorities and what energizes you
Relationships - understanding the 7 levels of relationships and how to use that to reach your dreams and improve your life
Values - understanding what your core values are, defining them and how they play a role in your life and your dreams
Passions - how to define your top level passions and become more intentional about them
Superpowers - how to discover your top 3 superpowers and become more intentional about them
Drivers - how to discover your top 3-5 drivers and become more intentional about them
Spiritual - how your faith plays a role in reaching your dreams and in your life
Physical - how to be more intentional about your health and the role it plays in your dreams
Intellectual - what would you love to learn more about and how can you be more intentional about doing that

Those are some of the topics we cover with some resources and worksheets at a basic level. Sometimes those topics spur people to want to go deeper and that is when I will coach them on those topics and hopefully help them come up with their own solutions by facilitating programs or questions.

Budgeting, time management, finding more passion and purpose, and giving themselves permission to do things they want to do seem to be the bigger topics that keep coming up.

The other interesting thing is that I did a survey on how to improve the program and one of the big things that came up was more connection with the other people in the program so they could be more involved with other people who are also pursuing their dreams.

The second biggest request was for me to continue the weekly motivational and inspirational emails I sent out. They were a combination of success stories and helpful tips and resources.

There are a lot more resources I could use, such as 90 day coaching programs, great books that we could read together and discuss, online programs we could go through together, etc...

Here are my Superpowers that I would love to use to build this:

1. Making this simple, fun, unique and practical
2. Making things into a system
3. Providing unique resources (by putting something together or experiencing it myself and then sharing it with others if it works)
4. Connecting
5. Exploring

So my goal is to find a way to turn this into something that is simple, fun, has that WOW factor, valuable and extremely practical.

I would still love some more feedback or insights on this.
#1389591 by Jerry from Pell City
Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:02 pm
I entered Christian, men, and achieve in the vertical search and here were the results:

The word men did not return any value, so I deleted it.

The words Christian and achieve yielded the following results ranked by Demand Value:
Results 1.PNG
Results 1.PNG (38.04 KiB) Viewed 354 times
Last edited by Jerry from Pell City on Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#1389593 by Jacki from Macleod
Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:11 pm
Jerry from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[St Petersburg] wrote:The words Christian and achieve yielded the following results ranked by Demand Value:
Good work! Those look good, almost good enough for a site concept. Somewhere on these forums is a discussion about combining niches, maybe think about that?
#1389605 by Maria from Agness
Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:24 pm

Hi Jerry,

This is great, I was just wondering how you would narrow it down but targeting christian men does that. It gives you all a common thread.

You have some great keywords there. Look at those with supply near or above 20,000. As per AG guidelines.
Achieve success, achieve your goals are both good as far as the numbers go.
Dreams Come True is the name of UK charity that helps seriously ill children to make their dreams come true so that may be skewing the results for that keyword. Do check keywords in google to make sure that there isn't something skewing the results.
Christian life and christian living also have good numbers and as you want to target christian men this could be a good start.
Your VPP could be something like - Helping Christian Men Achieve their Goals or Christian Men living their dream, not great but you get the idea.
Don't forget your domain name does not necessarily need to contain your keyword, so you could still find a short snappy domain name eg. DreamLiving, DreamGoals etc.
This sounds like a really great idea and definitely worth working through.

I could probably put something small together within my church friends and my network, but I would love to be able to eventually have this as my dream career where it is my main focus and I have an income stream that allows me to focus on this.

Perhaps your church friends would be happy to get you started, if you could organise and arrange something for them on a small scale it would help you to work out the things you would need to do on a larger scale for your site. And of course if you arranged a get together, night out or adventure day you would have original photo's to put on your site and even some testimonials from those that enjoyed it.

You may have to cherry pick keywords that fit into all the different things you wish to cover. There are several articles in the tips and techniques HQ that help with this.
Three Ways to Find the Perfect Keywords for Your Niche

You will find others in The Laying The Foundations section including brainstorming tips.

I hope that helps,
#1389619 by Jerry from Pell City
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:43 pm

Thanks for you help. I am checking out your links now.

I am still stuck on what the demand and supply numbers mean. I thought you would want a larger demand (what people are wanting) and a lower supply (what people are finding) so that you can be the one who supplies what the customers are looking for.

What is the significance of having the supply be around or over 20,000?

With that, what would the demand numbers need to be in relation to that to make it a winnable idea?
#1389621 by Maria from Agness
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:13 pm

Hi Jerry,

I am still stuck on what the demand and supply numbers mean. I thought you would want a larger demand (what people are wanting) and a lower supply (what people are finding) so that you can be the one who supplies what the customers are looking for.

This is a common misconception. Stick with the AG guidelines and you will be fine.
Demand > 2,000 (preferably >3,000)
2+ Keywords with Demand > 1,000
10+ Keywords With Demand > 100
Supply < 200,000 (sweet spot 20,000 to 60,000)

Also make sure that the search engines (SE), search intent for the keywords are the same as what you think they are. Some companies have a monopoly on certain keywords and this can skew the results. Or terms can have different meanings in different places.

Here's a post I wrote a while back explaining why the supply should be quite high for your site concept keyword.
Hi Paolo,

Isn't the ideal supply 0?

This is a common misconception supply of 0 is not ideal for your site concept keyword.

Demand shows how many people are searching for a site so it's obvious that the higher demand the more people are looking for that information.
Supply is your competition so it seems that you would want as little competition as possible but that's not correct.
Your competition will also be the ones buying ads and supplying goods that you can sell on your site for a commission.
If there is no competition then it often means that there is no money to be made in that niche. So you need to look for a site concept that has healthy competition, the 'sweet spot' being between 30,000 and 70,000.
Once you have found the niche and made sure you can make money in that niche then you look for ways to position your site that is slightly different to what is already out there. There are gaps in any market brainstorm it helps us to find those gaps.

The tier 2 pages and tier 3's pages can and should have much lower supply but not your site concept keyword. There are exception to the rule (isn't there always). If you have found a new and upcoming niche that you are sure is going to get big or if you are selling your services in your local area. There are probably others where a low supply is okay, but in general you do need to have a much higher supply for your site concept keyword than 2,000.

I hope that makes it clearer,

Sweet spot numbers have changed since then but the principle is still the same.

This thread has some interesting points that may help you understand the process further.

I hope that helps,