What knowledge, expertise, passion, hobby, or interest do you have? Which is best for your Site Concept? How do you position it to be "uniquely you"? Is your Niche too broad or too narrow? Too broad will stretch a solopreneur's available time beyond its limits. Too narrow may limit income potential. Get help to find the right niche for you!

Moderator: Carol from East Anglia

#1392634 by Jacky from Lambertsbaai
Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:16 pm
Hi SBI'ers!

I've had my site for a few months now. I also know that I should not become number bound, but there is nothing more disappointing seeing the search engines ranking your site: >30!

My main niche is "Cake Decorating" which I know is broad, but all my Tier 2 pages are in the sweet spot! Even some Tier 3 pages. What are the changes that when Google shift algorithm it will look better or should I make my niche smaller to maybe just Cake Recipe or something more specific?

Problem is that I am a Cake Decorator and can write about all Cake Decorating goodies? Do not really want to be bound to just one thing!

Do not want to waste my time if the search engines will never consider me, because of a too broad niche.

Advise appreciated.
#1392640 by Maria from Agness
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:18 pm
Hi Jacky,

I don't think cake decorating is too broad. I've just checked the numbers for you and the supply is well within the 'sweet spot' as suggested by the AG.
I think it's possibly more a matter of time, my site didn't get much traffic or start to rank until it was over a year old and had more than 100 pages.

I'm not sure what numbers you are looking for for your tier 2 and 3 keywords but the supply should be a lot lower for the individual pages. The Site Concept Keyword covers the whole site so can be higher.

These are the general guidelines I go by -
The numbers that are good can vary depending on the niche so it's hard to give absolute guidelines. In general though this is the numbers I look for.
Tier 2 demand over 1,000 amd supply under 1,000.
Tier 3 demand over 100 or preferably 150 and supply under 100.
But it depends on your niche, how narrow or broad it is. How new or localized etc.

If your keywords fall into these ranges then you will probably just need to give the site time. There are also going to be lots of subjects to cover so you will probably need lots of pages for google to start taking your site seriously. As your subject matter is decorative getting followers on facebook and pinterest will probably help as they may follow links back to your site which in turn will show google people like it.

I hope that helps,
#1392641 by Dee from Cape Cod
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:21 pm

Hi Jacky -

Jacky from Lambertsbaai wrote:I've had my site for a few months now. I also know that I should not become number bound, but there is nothing more disappointing seeing the search engines ranking your site: >30!

Even with "perfect numbers", it still takes time for a new site to catch hold with the search engines. If you did you keyword research according to the Action Guide process and found keywords that fit within the guidelines, then don't second-guess yourself now. :wink:

I know ... a few months seems like forever when you're waiting for your pages to begin ranking. But really, your site is still in its infancy. So take a deep breath, and don't do anything rash. Just keep writing content that over-delivers, and be patient.
In no time at all, your "snowball" will start to roll and grow. Really, it will! :)

Best Regards,

#1392645 by Jacki from Macleod
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:49 pm
So, five months, hey? My site didn't start seeing good traction for several years, but now it's paying for itself and much more. This is a long game, not get rich quick. Stay the course. There is no point in second guessing it now, especially if you specialize in cake decorating - your first hand experience is gold! Start doing videos that can go on your pages. Those will bring your knowledge and skill to the fore. Stick to your strengths. You can do this :D
#1392691 by Jacky from Lambertsbaai
Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:44 am
I am so overwelmed by all your kindness! Thank you so much for responding to me! I do feel better now as I know I followed the AG! My nature/personality is a little bit rushed, but will keep going! Ive looked at your sites and they are amazing....what wonderful mentors you all are! Appreciate the input! Be blessed"!
#1392712 by Jacki from Macleod
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:43 pm
Jacky from Lambertsbaai wrote: Thank you so much for responding to me!
You're so welcome! I didn't ask questions at first, that's my nature - stumble through, making all the mistakes. So do what I suggest, not what I did :?

Keep on Tortoising :D