What knowledge, expertise, passion, hobby, or interest do you have? Which is best for your Site Concept? How do you position it to be "uniquely you"? Is your Niche too broad or too narrow? Too broad will stretch a solopreneur's available time beyond its limits. Too narrow may limit income potential. Get help to find the right niche for you!

Moderator: Carol from East Anglia

#253844 by ken-admin
Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:00 pm

Back in June, 2005, Jeff from Cedar Springs wrote this brilliant piece of choosing what we've called (in DAY 2 of the Action Guide) the "goldilocks" niche... not too narrow, not too broad... just right! I was either asleep at the wheel or in Nova Scotia (we often go there last week of June), or both, not to have called attention to its eloquence.

But it's sooooo good, it deserves to be revived. Belated thanks for this, JP! I hope many find it helpful.

All the best,

Here it is...

Jeff from Cedar Springs wrote:Let's choose a random broad subject and see how it figures into life and the web...I don't know, how about "cars". Through the eyes of a typical neophyte, this topic would look like this with respect to a web site: "Well, literally millions of people look for something related to cars every day, so I'll create a web site about cars, and some small portion of those millions of people will come to my site every day and I'll be rich.

It actual fact, this is true, a small portion of them would come to your site...probably one or two a day once it's well established. The problem here is that the traffic (please excuse the pun) looking for info on cars does not get evenly spread across all car related sites. A few sites "own" that rather large topic, and they get most of the traffic. Those few sites are HUGE and belong to companies that spend horrific amounts of money on advertising to "own" that search term. Even if you're really good, compared to them, well, you got nothing.

Does that mean that if you're into cars, then you've got no chance of creating a profitable site about cars? Nope. It means you have to get smart and design a site that is about cars, but which gets around these guys who "own" that topic. The way you do that is by "owning" some small corner of "cars" that the big guys don't happen to care about. Let's say "left side mirror from 67 mustang". You could "own" that niche pretty easily. Problem is, it's a small niche, so you wouldn't get a whole lot of traffic from that.

So we've established that you can own a small unprofitable niche, or you can get a few crumbs from a big profitable topic. Maybe the solution is somewhere in the middle. It is, and it isn't. Let's say you were now going to look around in the middle and you choose "parts for classic cars". This is a big enough niche to pull traffic, and it's small enough that none of the HUGE guys are putting all of their efforts into this category, so it's got some potential.

So now you go out and try to write a bunch of pages about "parts for classic cars", and you find that you get a little traffic, but you still can't seem to find your way to the top of the google pages for "parts for classic cars". This is where the true genious of Ken's approach comes in. Instead of trying really hard to "own" your chosen niche of "parts for classic cars", you very easily "own" dozens and dozens of tiny niches that are sub-niches of "parts for classic cars". You spend maybe an hour owning "left side mirror from 67 mustang". You create a great page about just that one thing, and the next time somebody types in "left side mirror from 67 mustang" (with the quotes), they get your page. Now you spend just as much time "owning" "right side mirror from 67 mustang". Then you do that 50, 100, 200 more times for other classic car parts. That's how you come to "own" your niche of "parts for classic cars". Along the way, some magic starts to happen. Because you are ranked at the top of so many "parts for classic cars" mini-topics, you are now an "expert site" for "parts for classic cars". Now you will find that your site will start to rank very high for "parts for classic cars" as a topic, not just for the many many sub topics you've chosen to own. In essence, by owning enough of the pieces, the search engines will just up and give you the whole niche. They won't give you "cars", but they will give you "parts for classic cars".

Even if somebody else "owns" "classic car pictures" and some other guy owns "classic car care tips", YOU own "parts for classic cars", and if you keep at it, the guy who owns "cars", will eventually just give up trying to sell any classic car parts, and just put a link in his "cars" site to your "parts for classic cars" site. He knows when he's beaten.

#253875 by Erwin from Oudeschoot
Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:05 pm

This one deserves to be in the TNT HQ, IMHO.
Just my 2 cents, of course! :-)

Kind regards,

#253932 by Jennifer from Menasha
Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:11 pm
Fantastic! It really clarifies the whole issue for me. Thanks for writing it, JP, and thanks for reviving it, KE! :D

#254856 by Claude from hamradiosecrets.com
Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:21 pm
Front page stuff!

Thanks Ken for dusting off Jeff's masterpiece. This is IT in a nutshell. No question about it.

Thanks Jeff. I am in awe.

#255292 by Sherry from Hoodsport
Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:07 pm
Thanks for putting this up, IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE!

#255340 by Raymond from Gridley
Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:04 pm
Thanks Ken and JP for this classic piece. It really puts things into perspective.

I agree with Erwin it really does belong in the TNT HQ.
#262718 by from Fpo
Tue May 08, 2007 7:15 pm
Wow! :idea:

JP's post is still such a Pearl even two years down the road! Wow!

I love the way he explained it... it really helps to clarify that DAY 2 quagmire so many of us find ourselves in.

Thanks Ken, for bringing it to the fore, and JP, thanks for taking the time to illuminate the brainstorming process.

Carol :D

#268034 by Nony from Shawanese
Wed May 23, 2007 4:45 am
Perfect timing - again!

Thanks Ken and Jeff for sharing that very clear example of brainstorming. My head started spinning with thoughts and ideas for the 100's of mini niches I can write about related to the key concept of my website.

This turtle got sidetracked for awhile, but I'm super inspired to get back on the path.

There is So Much to learn here! I know you advise the newbies not to get sidetracked from the Action Guide, but I love the side-trips.

I never could resist finding out what's over the hill or down the road. Great education - this SBI stuff!

#299814 by Naeemul from Swansea
Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:17 am
Brain storming for a niche, and can't narrow it down due to ideas I want to cover and the moentization plan, this came really handy how you put small bits and top the chart. It is GOOD, two thumbs way... up!

#299825 by Tove from Patíssia
Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:58 am
#309097 by paul from Richer
Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:21 pm
Thank you for the very interesting post. I have been stuck on how to bring my offline business online due to the demand being too low for my Niche.
This gave me some unique ideas about my topic.
Thank you again.
Now it's back to work.

#309174 by B. B. from Mc Guffey
Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:35 pm
This is awesome, thank you!

I chose a very broad topic, health. I truly feel that my niche will be established by my "spin" on it, (VPP, Valuable Preselling Proposition, covered in "Make Your Content Presell") and by my individual Voice, my writing style which I hope communicates my attitude and passion and experience on the subject. All I know so far is that I'm having a blast writing my articles :D

I've been reading health websites for several years and to me, they're all pretty dry and impersonal. It's rare to find one that helps you look at what to do to go from your existing condition to an improved condition and in a personal, lighthearted way... so that is my niche :)

I regularly comb the forums for tips and ideas that I feel I can use to grow my site. The information about "Mining Your MKL" (LouAnn's info) really got me going on what topic to focus on and in what order.

I did have a general site blueprint with topics in T2 and T3 format, but I wasn't sure what topic to start with and in what order I should write my articles.

This article by Jeff has increased my understanding of the concept of creating successful content even more!

Thank you again,
#318144 by Paul from Mesilla
Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:40 am
ken-admin wrote:Back in June, 2005, Jeff Pritchard from San Diego wrote this brilliant piece of choosing what we've called (in DAY 2 of the Action Guide) the "goldilocks" niche... not too narrow, not too broad... just right!

Wow, website savvy people do live in San Diego! I had read this article by Jeff before but doing so again gave me new perspective on owning my niche.

Thanks for the insight Jeff.

Onward with purpose,

Chaplain Paul Slater in San Diego,
#318187 by RAKESH from Chinchwad
Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:01 am
i am stuck in only one site concept,i want a site around that only,i used yahoo and wordtracker to refine it,although i got a not too broad not too narrow concept,but i donot have and even i donot want to compare it with any other site concept.pls guide me......
#318251 by B. B. from Mc Guffey
Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:26 pm

Hi Surinder,

This is from the Action Guide, Day 2:

Three Site Concepts? Why Three?

What if you only have one idea for a niche? Well, you won't have anything to compare against. In general, it's best to develop a "top 3" and then use Brainstorm It! and Niche Choose It! to compare and pick the best.

Only Know And Love One General Area?

Is there only one subject that really turns you on? For example...
Are you a jazz lover? Great! Develop 3 jazz-related Site Concepts for keyword research and evaluation...

"Jazz Canada?" "Jazz Festivals?" "Jazz Guitarists?"

There's more than one way to skin the jazz cat. And if you were to skin that cat using Brainstorm It!, you would find that one has great potential, one's a loser, and one is in-between.

Which would you rather build a business upon?

Hope this helps,

P.S. "skin the cat" means "solve a problem" :)