What knowledge, expertise, passion, hobby, or interest do you have? Which is best for your Site Concept? How do you position it to be "uniquely you"? Is your Niche too broad or too narrow? Too broad will stretch a solopreneur's available time beyond its limits. Too narrow may limit income potential. Get help to find the right niche for you!

Moderator: Carol from East Anglia

#385328 by Jessica from Greenlawn
Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:19 am
Thank you so much for your great view point on this. it really helps me as i try to find my niche in the nutrition industry.

#389400 by DAGOGO from Dowell
Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:14 pm

Thank you much for the post.

I just got done reading "The Long Tail" by Chris Anderson (oops, I think the library deadline is actually today).

Jeff Pritchard's post could literally be called..."Long Tail Marketing Applied" or "You And The Long Tail". :wink:

#416267 by Shelli from Sidnaw
Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:34 pm
Old post, but still Brilliant!!! This really helped me feel like I'm on the right track with my broad topic. I don't know how I missed it before!

Can we take this example a step further to the point where I seem to be stuck? (and I apologize in advance if I should've put this post somewhere else - I'm blaming it on newbie-ism for now...hope to get better with time).

How does this “goldilocks carâ€

#416490 by Tracy from Convoy
Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:38 am
Your Tier 1/Home page/domain would be 'parts for classic cars'.

Your Tier2s would be things like 'parts for mustangs'; 'parts for chevvies' etc.

Your mustang Tier3 would have pages like 'wing mirror for 1959 mustang', 'fender for 1961 mustang'.

Likewise for the chevvies etc.

#416609 by Curtis from Limekiln
Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:51 pm

Now that small piece was very powerful and I am glad that I opened it up. What a difference this has made in my thought process. Thank you very much for posting!

#416679 by Shelli from Sidnaw
Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:47 pm
Thanks, Tracy! I don't know why I've been floundering around for so many weeks...I'm glad I stumbled on to this post - it FINALLY makes sense to me! :idea:

I think I'll take the plunge and order my domain name and get to building! Thanks for confirming I was on the right track...

PS I've always thought I've got a good book in me somewhere...perhaps I'll be able to utilize your services one of these days!

#456959 by mario from Haymarket
Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:03 am
This is an awesome answer to a truly befuddling question! I had a hard time trying to figure out what is too narrow and what is too broad. The frustration has been indescribable...

But now things are starting to clear up. The forest is beginning to look like trees and nut just a mass of green.

I am going to do exactly what Mr. Pritchard recommends. From the responses his post has received (not to mention the accolades of SBI! mastermind Ken Evoy), he seems to know what he is writing about.

Here I go.

Thanks JP!

#460895 by Jennifer from Corriganville
Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:14 pm
This is really great advice, it really helps me out a lot with getting ready for my second SBI site. Thanks Ken and Jeff!!!!!

#508359 by John from Xenia, Ohio
Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:16 pm
Having owned 2 sbi sites within the last 5 years, I have never really understood until today what I have just read above about getting your site concept just right. It all makes perfectly good sense now.

However, there is one question that I have that is causing me much confusion.

If you have made the mistake of choosing a site concept that is too broad and only several of your t2 pages are getting good traffic, can you go back and redo your home page main concept keyword? Then redo your entire site, probably based on one of the several t2 pages that are getting good traffic?
#983203 by Amanda from Rosendale
Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:42 pm
Well, I just got one of those aha! moments after reading this, along with a smile on my face because it made so much sense. A clear explanation, which has brought clarity to my mind and opened a door for me. Thank you!
#983233 by Kirby from Winchester
Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:40 pm
Hi folks;

Great post but don't forget .... You still want keywords with demand. It pretty useless to write 100 pages for keywords that no one is looking for. "Left side mirror for 67 mustang" still better have demand. And being longtail you likely wont see any data in the Brainstormer. You may have to resort to the Google keyword selector tool.Yes you could get to the top of Google for 100 long tail keywords ... But it's pretty useless for traffic if all of these keywords have a demand of 20 or 30.

Use your MKL data to organize your plan before you jump in and start writing on a bunch of 5 and 6 word long tail keywords. You want demand greater than 300 or 500 per keyword, not anything less. Inventing your own keywords with no one looking for those keywords won't get you much traffic. Come back and scape the bottom of the barrel later if you want to .... But personally I'd rather focus on "in demand keywords". Just something to consider.

Kirby in Ottawa
#983317 by Ilse from Kamsack
Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:46 am
You want demand greater than 300 or 500 per keyword, not anything less.

While I agree, mostly, with what you're saying I'd like to add a bit, if I may. Depending on the niche, and depending on what you want to accomplish with your site, some of those 20 -30 demand keywords might be exactly what you're looking for.

If you plan to sell some affiliate products, or your own product, those highly targeted keywords can be worth gold. Left side mirror for 67 mustang, is pretty specific, but remember you're doing a site on classic car parts. Someone redoing a car may very well be looking for that exact part - and if your site happens to have an aff link for that part - instant sale :D . That's only one page on your site, now put up about 1000 of them :shock: . While that may seem like too much work and a waste of time - couldn't you just say 67 mustang parts put up your aff link and go home? You could, but likely you're not going to get as many sales. Likely this person has already searched high and low for that part, they're close to desperate :wink: , give them that part, fast and easy and they'll be your new best friend.

While I still find it difficult to write out a site this way (sigh) it makes perfect sense to do it. You want to grab those folks that are in the "I want it right now" camp. If you make it easy for folks to find exactly what they want, you likely will get your sale.

I do understand that traffic is important, and you should check to make sure that altogether your site will bring in enough traffic to accomplish what you want from it. For a site dependent on adsense, the more traffic the better, for an aff site, or your own product site - targeted customers are what you're looking for.
#993252 by Carl from Grand Rivers
Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:46 am
I had been "stuck" for a few days, a bit unsure if I should go through with my niche (stock market technical analysis) or not. After reading this post however, I now KNOW I can make it work using this method of targeting keywords. By going after the little "guy's", you end up owning the BIG BOY himself.... I had been used to targeting a "little" niche and rank for that niche to the exclusion of anything else. Yes it's a bad idea, I know that now... :):):)

Little story behind this........
I have been building "websites" and SEO-ing for the past two and a half years after I quit my job in 2009. Coming from an IT background, I was always on the lookout to "get the trick" right (or maybe I should say crack the code?). (Get on the first page of google for your main keyword.) In some cases (very few) I was able to do that in less than a month, but in most cases not at all. I now own 14 websites and only 2 of which rank for their main KW with niches so small you can hardly do anything else with the doamin. The problem with my method is that the niches (and keywords) are very tight and small. (e.g. menozacreviews.co ) The problem with this approach is that the niche and KW (menozac reviews) are so small that it's difficult to rank for anything else. ( Just try ranking for menopause :D )

But it's only logical that once you have the soldiers (long tailed keywords) under your command, you'll automatically get respect from the SE's for the general (site concept).

This is a fantastic post and I loved it. Thank you.
#1297645 by Chris from Inadan
Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:09 am
I am now near the end of my second month in SBI! and all I've been doing is read. At first I thought I'm doing it too widely, but I could not get to grips with a few concepts. However; this has paid off well. The penny dropped this morning.

It is all very well that you know and love your subject, but there is one thing all of us newbies do not know - the internet. Long ago someone said to me; "people fail for only one reason; they do not know enough about their subject". We're dealing with two things here and I think it well to keep in mind not to confuse them. There is a vast difference between my knowledge of my voice subject and my knowledge of the internet and its workings. So I have to get my proficiency in negotiating the internet up to par with my subject knowledge.

Great post JP! Thanks Ken, after seven years this still holds true.