User-Generated Content includes SBI!'s Content 2.0 (C2) and the many apps, widgets and plugins that allow your visitors to submit their stories and/or comment on your pages. Tried Disqus? Facebook Comments? Google Forms? Other apps and plugins? Problems? Successes? Share here! And the biggie...
Content 2.0 (C2) is important! Visitors contribute their own topic-related content for you! Questions? Problems? What strategies are working for you? Get help building the invitation, managing submissions and comments, etc. This is THE place to share ideas and help others use C2 to build yet more traffic to your site.
#1383638 by Scott from Florida
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:15 pm
We are in a free 7-day trial of AddSearch for site search for this website ([Domain Private]), as well as my wife's ([Domain Private]) and ([Domain Private]) websites.

So far we love it; very attractive site search!

But we want to exclude the thousands of C-2.0 submission pages from my wife's 2 sites from the AddSearch site search results listing.

Do these C2 submission pages have some sort of a tag that differentiates them from my regular site pages? I certainly don't have the time or inclination to exclude each submission page separately!

Here is a link to AddSearch's instructions for excluding certain areas of your site from search listings:
https://www.addsearch.com/support/including-excluding-content/

Any help or ideas appreciated!
#1383645 by Jacki from Macleod
Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:06 pm
Part 3 of their instructions gives you code - however, this looks like it will disallow ALL search (even search engines to serve your pages on the web)

3. Excluding pages using robots meta tags and index/noindex & follow/nofollow rules

You can also use robots meta tags and the index/noindex and follow/nofollow rules. These need to be placed in the HEAD section of your page.

To make AddSearch and other search engines exclude a page from the search, insert the following into the HEAD section of that page:
<meta name="robots" content="noindex">

Reading further, they say this;
If you want to have the robots meta tags apply to AddSearch only, change name="robots" in the above examples to name="AddSearchBot".
So that's what I would do. Go into the page in Page Manager called C2 submissions, click on the Head button, put that code in, build the page. Done.
#1383669 by Scott from Florida
Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:16 pm
Seems like this would work if the submission pages all had a common path or tag:

How can I exclude pages from the search?
If you don’t want certain site areas or pages to appear in the search, you can do that in multiple ways:

1. Excluding pages via the AddSearch Dashboard

You can exclude content from the search without touching your site code, by logging in to the AddSearch Dashboard and using the Site Areas tool under Settings. This is the easiest method.

To exclude all pages that reside under /temp/, just enter /temp/ into the text field and select Exclude from the dropdown box. Changes done in the Site Areas tool take effect with the next recrawl of your site, which for large sites might take some time.
--------------

Site areas
You can also exclude site areas from the search completely if you wish.

For example, if you want to decrease the importance of all pages in your discussion forum that resides in the path /forum/, click “Add new URL” below, insert /forum/ in the Path field and select a percentage less than 100% from the dropdown. To exclude the forum completely, select 0% from the dropdown.

The URL patterns will be matched against URLs on your site in the order they are listed here. Arrange the list so that the highest priority patterns are on the top.
#1383672 by Jeff from dogquotations.com
Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:58 pm
Scott, edit the C2 Submissions template in Page Manager. Add a Raw HTML Block right at the top, first thing on the page. Put this code in it.

<div data-addsearch="exclude">Content that is excluded from the search</div>

Rebuild. Do the same with the C2 Comments template and C2 TY/Comment-Form template.
#1383738 by Will from Los Ojos
Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:45 pm
Hi Scott,

I've just read section 4 on this page

https://www.addsearch.com/support/inclu ... g-content/

My understanding is you need 2 raw html blocks. The one at the beginning says

<div data-addsearch="exclude">

Then you need one at the end of the page, that says

</div>

Give both these blocks a name so you know later what you've done e.g., adsearch-exclude-start and addsearch-exclude-stop. In 6 months time, you'll forget what you've done, and this will jog your memory.

If you just write
<div data-addsearch="exclude">Content that is excluded from the search</div>
at the top of the template,

then every C2 page will start with the words
"Content that is excluded from the search"
but those words will be excluded from the Search.

That would be funny :D

Will
#1383789 by Jeff from dogquotations.com
Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:42 am
Scott, I apologize. I was in a hurry when I wrote that, and didn't check that it made sense as an instruction. Will's correct, you need an HTML block with the div tag, and another at the end with the </div> tag.