User-Generated Content includes SBI!'s Content 2.0 (C2) and the many apps, widgets and plugins that allow your visitors to submit their stories and/or comment on your pages. Tried Disqus? Facebook Comments? Google Forms? Other apps and plugins? Problems? Successes? Share here! And the biggie...
Content 2.0 (C2) is important! Visitors contribute their own topic-related content for you! Questions? Problems? What strategies are working for you? Get help building the invitation, managing submissions and comments, etc. This is THE place to share ideas and help others use C2 to build yet more traffic to your site.
33% OFF The World’s Most Effective Web Business-Builder - Solo Build It!
#1386171 by Leyla from Lacaze
Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:33 pm
Hello all... I have three types of C2 contribution I want to change... and I'd love your thoughts.

First, the "good" stories by readers. Easy. I'll move them to BB2, spruce them up and we're good to go. If there are good comments, I'll manually copy and paste them at the bottom of the page, in a box or something.

Second, the "medium" contributions. I can see some value in them, but not too much. I was thinking I could simply take them out of the Search Engines. That way the authors could still take people to the stories, and I wouldn't have to worry about Google and thin content.

Third, I have the "bad" content. Too short, not interesting, no traffic at all. I was thinking I'd simply delete them and redirect to a page with a similar topic.

If they contain a pearl, I might copy a sentence and add it to one of my existing pages in a box with the author's name, but that's pretty much it.

Any other ideas of how I can handle this? I hate to bulk delete stories painstakingly written by readers but I don't want Google to see them...

:? Not feeling very creative about this... (Have made my decision about leaving C2, and I don't want to merge with anything...)
#1386186 by Support Admin from SiteSell.com
Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:57 pm
Hi Leyla,

If you don't want to use C2 to merge shorter submissions, perhaps you can create BB2
pages (just as you mentioned for your longer submissions) with multiple like/related
submissions (and their corresponding comments) on a page. Your content on the page
will be sufficient for search engines and visitors can see multiple entries for related
content within one page (just as they would for a C2 merged page).

Just one idea that might help. :-)
#1386192 by Leyla from Lacaze
Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:48 pm
Thanks Cheryl, I think that will work for some of the content. I'm a bit worried about the content that is worth keeping but that I cannot improve for SEO - personal stories people have written, for example... I'd like to keep them on the site but don't want anyone other than the author and her friends to find them... it would make sense to simply keep the same URL and move them out of the search engines, wouldn't it?
#1386209 by Support Admin from SiteSell.com
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:54 pm
That's an option, Leyla. However, if the content is valuable enough to keep
on the site, then why would you not want other visitors to find it as well?

If I understand correctly, these pages aren't ranking well with search engines. All pages
don't have to rank well to be relevant valuable content for your "visitors." Visitors
generally like reading personal stories that they can relate to.

Unless you think you are being penalized for these pages for some reason, I don't think
it's of any concern if you don't remove them from SEs. Of course, this is not my area of
expertise, just my own logic. ;)
#1386214 by Support Admin from SiteSell.com
Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:32 am

If you are "getting out of C2" and have no submissions that you really want to be
indexed by search engines, you can add a noindex/nofollow meta tag to your
C2 Submissions Pages template in BB2. That template would apply to all C2
submissions.

- Select edit for the "C2 Submissions Pages" page listed in Page Manager.
- Open the Head option (top right of BlockBuilder).
- Place this code for the meta tag in the "This Page Only" section...

Code: Select all <meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow">

- Click "Add to Head" and then Build the page to save the changes.

Here is a screencast video of me performing this task in one of our support test sites...

https://www.screencast.com/t/6XhA34ycZfeY
#1386217 by Dee from Cape Cod
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:25 am

Hi Leyla -

This really jumped out at me:

Leyla from Lacaze wrote:Thanks Cheryl... it's not really valuable - but readers have taken the time to write it so I'm loath to simply delete it... I was hoping to keep it "just for them" and their friends and that's it...

I totally understand why (emotionally) you're hesitant to delete a story that one of your visitors has taken time to write for your site. You're obviously a kind-hearted person, and scrapping your visitor's story feels like a not-nice thing to do. But realistically, being nice doesn't pay the bills! :wink:

At this point, what are the chances that the people who wrote those stories will come back to read them again? And what are the chances that they'll send their friends to read their story now or in the future? My guess is the chances are slim, at best.

IMHO, if you - as a savvy business person rather than as a nice person - decide that a C2 submission isn't valuable for other site visitors, for monetizing, or for some other business purpose, then it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to keep it - especially if keeping the page could hurt your standing with the search engines.

Just my opinion, for whatever it's worth ...

Best Regards,

Dee
#1386222 by Leyla from Lacaze
Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:09 am
You're right, Dee... I have such an active and supportive community that I'd hate someone to come back at me for deleting an entry... as it stands, when I delete something I make sure I copy the entire page first, just in case I need to put it back up for some reason but yes, some of these stories were only posted because I was being nice and had no business on my site (especially with an 84% bounce rate!!!!)

That said, a few are nicely written and would add to UX, even if the SEs never found them. They're the ones I thought of putting into an "archive" section, keeping them out of sight of the search engines but leading my own readers there with a general "women's travel stories" section, explaining that these had been submitted to me over time and that I thought they might like them. But in view of your initial email - maybe I should just be sensible and... DELETE.
#1386227 by Dee from Cape Cod
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:57 pm

Hi Leyla -

Leyla from Lacaze wrote:That said, a few are nicely written and would add to UX, even if the SEs never found them. They're the ones I thought of putting into an "archive" section, keeping them out of sight of the search engines but leading my own readers there with a general "women's travel stories" section, explaining that these had been submitted to me over time and that I thought they might like them. ...

I'd definitely keep the ones that add real value for your site visitors. Even better if you have (or can come up with) a way to monetize the stories in your archive section! :wink::)

Best Regards,

Dee