User-Generated Content includes SBI!'s Content 2.0 (C2) and the many apps, widgets and plugins that allow your visitors to submit their stories and/or comment on your pages. Tried Disqus? Facebook Comments? Google Forms? Other apps and plugins? Problems? Successes? Share here! And the biggie...
Content 2.0 (C2) is important! Visitors contribute their own topic-related content for you! Questions? Problems? What strategies are working for you? Get help building the invitation, managing submissions and comments, etc. This is THE place to share ideas and help others use C2 to build yet more traffic to your site.
#1393849 by erin from Climax
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:42 pm

Hi folks,

I had a vibrant Disqus comments section going on, although I found it fairly impossible to reply promptly to questions. Then they started charging OR putting up offensive and misleading ads on my site. :shock:

So I removed Disqus from my pages while I considered what to do about this. ( :!: Warning: If you do this, turns out all those previous comments are lost forever.)

Now it's time to decide: :?: is it worth paying Disqus for commentability? :?:

I've wondered...

whether comments in Disqus boost SE ratings -- frequent updates of pages, new content, long tail keywords, etc.

Or whether it boosts traffic in other ways.

Or if it increases conversions -- do people trust me more and want to work with me, based on interactions they may see/post in Disqus?

Or... whatever else I'm missing. :wink:
Is there any definitive answer? Or at least educated guesses?

It's not an inconsequential fee, IMO, so I'd like to know that there's actually a benefit, and not just a drain of time and money. Opinions, anyone?

Last edited by Debs from SiteSell on Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Edited subject to attract attention.
#1394056 by Wendy C (EelKat) from La Puente
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:34 pm
I used to love Disqus. Part of the lure of them was that they WERE NEVER GOING TO USE ADS and you could log in from any of 80+ social networks, all your comments from everywhere could be found on you "disqus blog" that they made out of your comments, and they added a set of "here's other posts from this site" at the end of each article.

I started using them around 2007. Loved them to pieces...

Until last year, when suddenly, super spammy (I lost 30lbs in 2 days, find out how drivers in your town beat the system, etc), HIGHLY OFFENSIVE (close up of boobs about to burst out of bra, gory-bloody close ups of surgery, etc), and outright fake news (*name of famous celebrity* died!!!, etc) all of them completely off topic to my site and many of them with gross, stomach turning, disgusting pictures (including close ups of pimples and vomit no less!) begane to show up on my site. It was like the ads went out of their way to be the MOST offensive and shocking as possible.

I couldn't figure out what in the heck was going on. Where the hell did these *@#%&*@# ads come from?

And you couldn't find the comment box from Disqus ay more. You had to scroll under the ads, and there'd be 16 ads, 4 across, 4 down to scroll under.

For over a decade, Disqus has always promoted the fat: "Use us, we are ad free, we'll NEVER add ads to your site".

It wasn't the ads themselves that bothered me so much as the over the top gross, disgusting photos they were using for the ads. I did not want those kinds of images and photos showing up on my site. So, I removed Disqus.

I think they now have a paid option so you can remove the ads, but, I never got enough comments over all for it to be worth the trouble.

Now, where I used to have the comment box, I've instead put the "AddThis" social media icon list instead. ( So, if someone has a comment they can post it on my FaceBook, Tumblr, Twitter, LinkedIn, LiveJournel, etc account instead. I also added the "AddThis" share button list ( and since doing so, I've had way more interactions on social media. It seems that people are more likely to share a page then comment on it, so in my case removing comments turned out to be a good thing, seeing how I replaced it with social media interaction ability and far more people are sharing pages then ever commented on them.

I don't know if the addition of or lack of comments had any effect on my SEO rankings or not. I didn't notice any change resulting from it.
Last edited by Wendy C (EelKat) from La Puente on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#1394057 by Elly from
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:37 pm
Erin, I deleted the Disqus code off when they wanted to place ads on my site a couple of years ago. I let the comments go.

I have been using IntenseDebate ever since and I'm very happy with it. :)
See: where I have over 90 comments.

It's easy to moderate right on your site. I click on the link in the email notification. The only thing that doesn't appear reliable is the delete function in the email. I do that on the page also, where I can block the IP too.

#1394127 by erin from Climax
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:33 pm

Thanks for your input, Elly & Wendy! (And for the bump, Debs :) )

I hadn't heard of IntenseDebate; I might give them a go instead. Until they start charging. ;)

I agree about the absolutely disgusting, offensive, and manipulative/deceitful nature of the ads :o I don't mind the idea of ads per se, but there's no way I could have those on my site and retain any sort of integrity.

BTW, Elly, I enjoyed your article... too relevant! ;)

Wendy C (EelKat) from La Puente wrote:It seems that people are more likely to share a page then comment on it, so in my case removing comments turned out to be a good thing, seeing how I replaced it with social media interaction ability and far more people are sharing pages then ever commented on them.

I wonder if IntenseDebate would achieve the same benefit, with people logging in via FB or Twitter to comment...?

#1394134 by Elly from
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:14 pm
No Twitter or FB log-in/comments with IntenseDebate, Erin.

I'm glad you liked the article. I hope it was of help. ;-)

All the best,

#1394153 by Elly from
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:46 am
Found it, Erin! Thank you very much. :-)

It isn't showing on my site just yet, but I'm sure it'll sort itself.