SBI! Internal Stats, Google Analytics, StatCounter and other traffic tracking systems. Discuss your traffic stats, and get help understanding them.

Moderator: Antoinette from Bedford

#1366000 by Mark from Clearlake
Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:16 pm
Hello,

Thanks to the recent article on Google Analytics I have discovered why my bounce rate was so bad. Hovering around the 70% region for a long time, I have constantly been updating my pages with links to encourage visitors to click through, but to no avail. Until now...

It turns out the problem was coming mainly from my mobile users. Many of my pages were not very well laid out for mobile visitors and they were staying for a moment and then clicking back.

How did I find out....?

In your GA account, go to Audience/mobile/overview. That will give you a list of three - desktop, tablet and mobile. You can make a judgement just for that list, but you need to know which specific pages are the offenders.

So...

At the top of the columns, select the secondary dimension drop down menu. From there select behaviour/landing page.

Now you have a list of your pages divided up by mobile, tablet and desktop with all the corresponding data. You can clearly see what pages work on desktop but not on mobile.

I have now began to tweak and change some pages by adding 'mobile only' and 'desktop/tablet only' containers to make the poorly performing mobile pages more friendly. Time will tell but I reckon I'm onto a good thing.

Just thought I would share.
Cheers
Mark

ps - the article by the way: http://www.sitesell.com/blog/2017/02/go ... -204871341
#1366034 by Theona from Maple Shade
Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:33 am
I'm confused. I thought that as long as I selected a responsive template I wouldn't have to worry about whether or not my website appeared properly in mobile devices.
#1366035 by Jacki from Macleod
Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:36 am
It's not about the appearance, it's about the content. Long, detailed pages could be intimidating if you're on a mobile device, so they would prefer the TLDR version. (That stands for 'Too Long, Didn't Read).
#1366070 by Debs from barkinista.com
Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:33 pm
Theona,

You should always check your pages on mobile after building.

Responsive means the template is responsive; but something you put into the template may not be. Keeping an eye on new pages/edited pages means you run a much lower risk something won't look right in mobile.

Debs
#1366076 by Theona from Maple Shade
Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:39 pm
Debs from barkinista.com

Theona,

You should always check your pages on mobile after building.

Responsive means the template is responsive; but something you put into the template may not be. Keeping an eye on new pages/edited pages means you run a much lower risk something won't look right in mobile.

Does this mean images? Such as the main image I place on each page. I realize that I looks fine in desktop preview but when I preview it the mobile views the image is cut in half. Also, although I place my "You May Also Be Interested In...." images in a responsive grid some them are cut off in IPhone 3 preview.

Any thoughts on why this is so. So I have to go back and place every image in a responsive grid block??

Thanks
#1366077 by Theona from Maple Shade
Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:41 pm
Jacki from [Domain Private]

It's not about the appearance, it's about the content. Long, detailed pages could be intimidating if you're on a mobile device, so they would prefer the TLDR version. (That stands for 'Too Long, Didn't Read).

????? Would you mind explaining this?
#1366086 by Jacki from Macleod
Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:48 pm
Theona from Maple Shade wrote:????? Would you mind explaining this?
What don't you understand, Theona? This may be one of those things that really isn't that important at this particular time (for you) so come back to it later and it will make sense then. There's so much to learn!

The content that you put on your site may not display correctly on mobile but the images should, as SBI! makes them responsive. Not sure why yours would be cut off, mine did that in mobile but it was only the (obviously non-responsive) MOM template. Every other image has special code to make it responsive.
#1366098 by Theona from Maple Shade
Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:58 am
Jacki from [Domain Private]

What don't you understand, Theona?

This may be one of those things that really isn't that important at this particular time (for you) so come back to it later and it will make sense then. There's so much to learn!

Jacki what I didn't understand was the whole page is too long thing. It sounded like too much content was a bad thing for mobile.

The content that you put on your site may not display correctly on mobile but the images should, as SBI! makes them responsive. Not sure why yours would be cut off, mine did that in mobile but it was only the (obviously non-responsive) MOM template.

I found out that not all images are mobile friendly. Even when placed in responsive grids. When I viewed the pages using the devices drop down menu I was disheartened to learn that even with a responsive grid my "You may also be interested in..." menu doesn't display images properly when viewed in the horizontal mobile phone view.

Every other image has special code to make it responsive.

Well, I don't know about that because I had to take ALL of my images and resize them for mobile. So I basically had one image block to appear only on tables/desktops/laptops and another image block and resized a duplicate image specifically to be shown only on mobile devises.

Plus some images are small for IPhone 5,6 and Samsung previews because I based the sizing from the IPhone 3/4 preview. When I tried to resize the mobile images using the IPhone, Samsung previews the images were always cut off.

Boy, that was a lot of work! But hopefully that will improve my bounce rate and newsletter sign ups.

I'm glad I read this particular thread today or I wouldn't have been aware of my mobile unfriendliness.

Thanks Mark! :)
#1366101 by Jacki from Macleod
Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:31 am
Theona from Maple Shade wrote:It sounded like too much content was a bad thing for mobile.
It kind of is. People generally wouldn't have either the data or the patience to scroll through page after page (on a cell phone) to find out one little piece of information. That's why it's so important to have sub headings, so they can scan.

Theona from Maple Shade wrote:I had to take ALL of my images and resize them for mobile
There is no way I could do this. I have literally thousands of pictures on my sites.

Anyway, let's not take this thread too far off topic :wink:
#1366126 by Debs from barkinista.com
Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:01 pm
Jacki is right, let's stay on topic. If you need help on how to do something, just start your own thread in the proper forum.

BTW Long content on mobile is NOT bad; it is all in how you present it, subheadings for scanning and/or jump to links FAQ style with Text Link questions that jump to the answers further down would help too.

Debs