SBI! Internal Stats, Google Analytics, StatCounter and other traffic tracking systems. Discuss your traffic stats, and get help understanding them.

Moderator: Antoinette from Bedford

#1369302 by Paul from Nashotah
Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:03 pm
Hi,

Has anyone else experienced the following?

Google Analytics / Audience / User Explorer shows user behaviour for individuals that visit the site.

Well, when I checked this, I noticed that, between 1 mar and 16 Apr17, my top user has…

…visited 62 times (basically every day including multiple visits on 14 days), at times that range from 0545 to 2254 (including virtually every hour in between), stays on site for what is recorded as zero secs on 55 occasions (leaving just 7 sessions with recorded session times that vary between 20 sec and 9 min 30 sec) all of which together give an average session duration of 35 secs, and always to the same page (alopecia-areata.html).

The next 5 top users do much the same - one page only, multiple times, for 0 secs. In total, there were 192 sessions from just six individuals.

Surely this is not normal behaviour! Do other SBIers have similarly strange User Explorer results like this?

Note: The only thing I could think of that might explain all this was if my page simply appeared in a SERP and so was not clicked. But Google Analytics clearly refers to users being "on your site".

Source: https://support.google.com/analytics/an ... 9208?hl=en

Obviously this will negatively distort my bounce rate stats. So, is someone or something trying to undermine my site performance/reputation at the SE's by doing this? I could not find anything in Analytics about reporting suspicious User Explorer behaviour to Google.

Any help appreciated.
Paul
#1369343 by Will from Los Ojos
Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:51 pm
Paul from Nashotah wrote:Obviously this will negatively distort my bounce rate stats. So, is someone or something trying to undermine my site performance/reputation at the SE's by doing this? I could not find anything in Analytics about reporting suspicious User Explorer behaviour to Google
l

Hi Paul,

It sounds like bots to me. There are hundreds of them these days. Pinterest, Amazon, Alexa etc all have crawlers on the WWW. If you're interested, you could install the free version of Statcounter, and have a closer look at some of the visits.
https://statcounter.com/
In the end, you'll find they're just background noise.

Also Google doesn't use Google Analytics to rank your site, so the GA bounce rate is really only a number for your personal use. There's a lot of referrer spam these days in GA that is making a real mess of bounce rate stats.

Will