SBI! Internal Stats, Google Analytics, StatCounter and other traffic tracking systems. Discuss your traffic stats, and get help understanding them.

Moderator: Antoinette from Bedford

#1373713 by Claude from hamradiosecrets.com
Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:27 pm
Here's an odd one.

Something happened in the early hours of June 1, 2017.

According to my traffic stats in Site Central, my visitor traffic jumped by something like 35% when compared to what it was reporting last month.

However, my Google Analytics do not show this increase. :shock:

Furthermore, I don't see any corresponding increase in my ebook sales. There should be, at least a little.

Something does not seem right. Of course, this is only been going on for the past 12 days. Maybe this flurry of activity will die down and my SBI! stats will fall back in line with my GA stats :roll:

Has something changed in the way that SBI! identifies / counts visitors?

Is anyone else experiencing this same phenomenon?

Claude
#1373807 by Debs Seeber from Palm Coast
Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:56 pm
Nothing has changed in the way that SBI! traffic stats identifies or counts visitors.

Debs
#1373810 by Claude from hamradiosecrets.com
Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:10 pm
Well, that's good news... I think :D

My work to improve pages and add some more might be starting to pay off.

Still, I find it very odd that my GA stats do not reflect the increase in visitor traffic.

Might it be that SBI! counts visiting bots while GA doesn't? :shock:

Claude
#1373827 by Claude from hamradiosecrets.com
Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:15 pm
Thanks Debs for providing this information/confirmation so quickly.

Well, it looks like my recent improvements have stirred a bunch of bot activity then :(

I'm hoping that some of those bots will report back to their masters that my content is worthy of some additional human attention/recognition :wink:

Claude
#1373834 by Will from Los Ojos
Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:20 pm
Hi Claude,

Think of it like this. For the sake of argument, let's say the SiteSell servers are in Pointe-Claire, Canada.

When a visitor finds you in the Google SERPS, and clicks the link, it sends a request to the SiteSell computers that hold your site for everything that makes up the page. That request knocks at the doors of the servers, and the elves inside mark up one knock on their clip board, (ie one visitor) as having come to the door. They look at the request, get the various packages together (in the case of your Home page, that's 72 packages) and send them all off to the address they've been given.

They'll do this to any knock on the door, whether it's a bot or a human. They can't tell the difference, they're all just knocks on the door. The bots even sometimes give false addresses, say bot^(@)^trumptowers.com.

When the html file arrives at the visitor's computer, the browser puts the page together from the packages that are arriving. In the process of doing this, they come across the Google Analytics code. When the browser assembles the code, at some point it fires off a message to GA HQ, saying this page has just been loaded.

You can see these are 2 quite different scenarios. The SBI elves measure everything that comes to the door. GA is only fired when the page is assembled. If the visitor leaves very quickly, GA may not even fire. Maybe the bots at trumptowers don't even assemble the page, just read, absorb and mark their own clipboards.

If your SBI stats show an increase for a few days, and it's not on GA or Statcounter, then it's an increase in activity at the SBI server level, and likely an increase in bots.

Will
Last edited by Debs from SiteSell on Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Edited email to not be clickable or readable as email by bots.
#1373839 by Claude from hamradiosecrets.com
Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:30 pm
Hi Will,

Thanks for the detailed explanation in layman's terms. Others, silently wondering what's happening, will also benefit. Much appreciated.

Your explanation would also explain why, some days, my SBI! stats show more visitors than visits. :shock::lol:

Have a great day :D

Claude