SBI! Internal Stats, Google Analytics, StatCounter and other traffic tracking systems. Discuss your traffic stats, and get help understanding them.

Moderator: Antoinette from Bedford

#1378892 by Daniel from boosturstocks.com
Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:48 pm
My website is barely two months old. Looking at Traffic Stats I see for August there is a total of 135 visits from 80 visitors averaging 15 visits per day from an average of 10 visitors per day.

When I look at total keywords it shows zero. The referers window shows 3 from Google.

My question is this: If there are no visitors brought in by my keywords and there are only 3 page views from Google where are the visits and visitors coming from?

Curiously the average number of visitors per day is almost equal to the number of pages in my site. Does this mean that each day each page in my site is counted as a visit by SBI traffic stats? Or is this just a coincidence?

Daniel
#1378904 by Wendy C (EelKat) from La Puente
Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:37 am
Daniel from boosturstocks.com wrote:My website is barely two months old. Looking at Traffic Stats I see for August there is a total of 135 visits from 80 visitors averaging 15 visits per day from an average of 10 visitors per day.

When I look at total keywords it shows zero. The referers window shows 3 from Google.

My question is this: If there are no visitors brought in by my keywords and there are only 3 page views from Google where are the visits and visitors coming from?

Daniel

Do you have Google Analytics, Google Search Console, or Bing Analytics codes on your site yet? Checking those will give you highly detailed information on what traffic each is sending to you.

Google Search Console is especially good because it tells you the rank your pages have in search results (is your page #35 on page 3 of Google? or #450 on page 45 of Google? This tells you exactly.) Bing Webmaster Dashboard has a page which tells you your page rankings on Bing and Yahoo search results as well.

Google Analytics tells you how many people visited each page AND how long they stayed, what browser they used, what device they searched from, as well as their age, gender, favorite hobbies, city/state/zip code, and the ispn they used. (This feature is why you see so many people talk about Google privacy issues, because with a person's zip code and ispn you can also locate their home address... thus why some people refuse to search via Google or use Chrome browser)

Most of my traffic comes from Bing, but I was unaware of this until I added Bing Analytics tracking code to my site and then saw the stats on my Bing dashboard. My site gets about 60 to 80 visits a day from Google, but 200+ visits a day from Bing. It's quite a big difference. (My site is a little over 3 years old, btw)

Also, the keywords that send traffic to my site are almost never the primary keyword of the page.

For a while the top keyword to my site was "yacht" and to this day I can not figure out why because my site is about writing fantasy novels and the word yacht is on my site NO WHERE!! :?::shock: It's just weird the logic search engines have sometimes. LOL!

Also, content sites like those made with SBI, have a high rate od showing up in search results on the little search engines like DuckDuckGo and DogPile.

There are more than 3,000 search engines out there that are hosted by schools, colleges, universities, geeks, nerds, etc. Those get used a lot by college students and geeky types, and could account for most of the non-Google and non-Bing based traffic you get as well.

Daniel from boosturstocks.com wrote:Curiously the average number of visitors per day is almost equal to the number of pages in my site. Does this mean that each day each page in my site is counted as a visit by SBI traffic stats? Or is this just a coincidence?

Daniel

Back when I first joined SBI, someone on the forum had said to me, that, the sites with the most pages got the most traffic, because nearly every page gets visited at least once a day. They had said to try to get 1,000 pages up as quickly as possible, because once you do that, you'll be guaranteed at least 1,000 visits to your site a day.

Is that true?

I don't know.

What I do know is this:

As of today, my site now has 1,439 pages live (though several are password protected and can only be accessed by members of my local writing group; so I think it's around 700 that can be found by search engines), 572 pages are indexed by Bing, 427 pages are indexed by Google.

By the logic of the advice I was given back in 2013, my site should therefore now be getting at minimum 1,439 pages views a day, right?

Is it?

No.

I have 1 page that consistently gets 20 to 30 views every day, and people stay an average of 20 minutes, (it's a long article about 5,000 words) with a bounce rate of 30% (meaning 70% went to another page of my site while 30% left my site after reading that page). I checked the flow stats (Google Dashboard) and after leaving that page, most people go to one of 3 other pages, all my other highest viewed pages, and most of them go on to a 3rd page, many move on to a 4th page, and a few go on to a 5th page before leaving my site. This in total accounts for about 200 page views every day.

There are about 70 other pages that each get 3 to 5 visits a week.

The remainder of my 1,439 pages get 1 or 2 visits per month each.

So, I don't know about other people, but that theory that "every page gets a visit a day" thing, doesn't seem to be true of my niche at least. Maybe it is true for some niches, but I'm not seeing it with my niche.

But basing that result against what you are seeing in yours, I don't think it's counting each page on yours, I think you must actually be seeing that many visitors.

You need to check on Google analytics and see what kind of traffic you are getting on each pages itself. Because that'll give you a better idea of which topics will bring more traffic to your site.
#1378911 by Jacki from Macleod
Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:57 am
Being so brand new, those visitors are most likely bots and spiders. Don't worry, they'll take the information back to the mother ship (search engines) and traffic will start to roll.
#1378945 by Daniel from boosturstocks.com
Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:53 pm
Thanks Wendy for the lengthy explanation which was certainly useful.
Thanks also Jacki for your contribution.

Daniel
#1379002 by Debs from SiteSell
Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:44 pm
Do you have Google Analytics, Google Search Console, or Bing Analytics codes on your site yet?

Just to clarify on Wendy's post. You set up code for traffic stats (Analytics) in your pages, but you submit your Search Engine Sitemap to Bing Webmaster Tools and Google Search Console (and verify your site as they direct) so those 2 spiders will spider your site.

All good things to do ;)

Debs
#1379008 by Daniel from boosturstocks.com
Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:33 pm
Debs, thanks for your further clarification. I do have a problem getting into the bing webmaster tools. Whenever I try to log in I keep getting this message:

Something went wrong and we can't sign you in right now. Please try again later.
The Microsoft account login server has detected too many repeated authentication attempts. Please wait a moment and try again

I've been getting that same message in the past two days. I have not done repeated authentication attempts so I don't know what to make of this message and how to remedy it.

Any suggestions?

Daniel
#1379257 by Daniel from boosturstocks.com
Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:55 pm
Debs, yes, I did what you suggested and it did solve the problem. Thank you,

Daniel