Adding audio, video (including YouTube, Vimeo, Snapchat, etc.) and full-blogging (and other advanced functionality) gives a whole new flavor to your Solo Build It! site. This is the place to help or be helped for these topics.

Moderator: Paul from Mollymook Beach, NSW

#1378576 by Paul from Mollymook Beach, NSW
Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:30 pm
Really! How effective is it for you? Do the videos you have on there disappear down a black hole, lurking like some old long forgotten can of bake beans in the back cupboard of your kitchen?
blackhole.gif
blackhole.gif (1.18 MiB) Viewed 982 times

Or do they bring you wonderful, consistent traffic, new clients and pay you money?

This is your opportunity to crow, to complain and to ask any question you like about making your YouTube account work better. But most of all, it is an opportunity to learn from this thread and from each other what you are doing right and what you could be doing better to attract new visitors.

What's your experience with YouTube? What would you like to know? Roll Up, Roll Up and lets find out how we can help you make things better!

If you have a YouTube chanel ad that in as well if you are looking for some specifc pointers.

Paul :idea:
#1378607 by Jacki from Macleod
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:44 pm
I have a few videos, mostly slideshows on YT, but I use it more to host videos that go on my site pages. I don't know if this is the correct way to use it.
#1378618 by Cath from Italy
Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:50 pm
Ugh! I back off from doing videos because a) I don't like myself on camera either to look at or to listen to and b) Video seems to take me such a looooooong time to edit, I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Having said that, I have one little video there which now has over 338,000 views. :shock: It is one of the worst videos I have ever seen. It's poor quality, the voicing is awful, my husband sat totally the wrong way... But people like it.

They like it because it answers a problem they have, I think, not because it's a great video. It's about how simple it is to clip chickens' wings (the live sort, not those for the BBQ :lol: ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfYcR8N8eAs

I have some others too, and like Jacki I embed them on my site in the hopes of reducing my bounce rate. But none brings me that much traffic. In fact, I don't think my SBI! stats show any referrers from YT.

What would I like to know? Something about making money with YT. I have no idea how that would be possible except for maybe selling courses?

Thanks for asking, Paul! :D
#1378641 by Paul from Mollymook Beach, NSW
Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:33 am
Jacki from Macleod wrote:I have a few videos, mostly slideshows on YT, but I use it more to host videos that go on my site pages. I don't know if this is the correct way to use it.

Hi Jacki. Thanks for being first in.

I don't think there is a CORRECT way of using YT or any video host. In the end, the question has to be - is it working for you?

There are definitely some things you can do at a basic level to increase the traffic you are already getting. These include a fuller and more passionate description for each video and links to specific pages (or the home page). You can see a lot more of this at http://sbitips.sitesell.com/setting-up- ... -time.html but if there are some specific guidelines that you think may apply to you then I can can cover that here.

The slide shows are OK especially for someone who loves seeing the plants and learning what they are. (I have actually just started planting some of these at home because I love that they just grow! I am a very low-maintenance gardener :roll: !!)

But I would suggest adding the names of the plants in the description of each video linked together with a few regions where they grow well.

I don't know if you know this but if you look at Traffic Sources, (Creator Studio (within your account name top right corner) /Analytics/Traffic Sources/YouTubeSearch) -scroll the image below, then you will be able to see the kinds of keywords that are finding your channel. I definitely would include them in your descriptions (and related keywords) to enhance how you are found.

Hope this is useful
Paul

YT Analytics.png
YT Analytics.png (193.44 KiB) Viewed 894 times
#1378645 by Paul from Mollymook Beach, NSW
Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:46 am
Cath from Italy wrote:Ugh! I back off from doing videos because a) I don't like myself on camera either to look at or to listen to ...

Ahh Cath! This is the realllyyy good thing about chickens. They have no opinion about their presentation skills.

But seriously. Without knowing your traffic sources I don't know how your video is being watched but my guess it that it is being referred by other videos (see image in my reply above for referral stats). What that tells me is that people are watching enough of it to make YT think its good...
and b) Video seems to take me such a looooooong time to edit, I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Well - its only worth it if you are getting the results you want! But of course you won't know until you consciously chose to go down the video path.

So - let me say a couple of things before we get onto monetizing.

1) Your presentation is terrific. I have said this before in other posts but, as a new or infrequent presenter, you are the worst person to judge how you are.

As an infrequent presenter, you are experiencing ourself in a way we aren't used to and so that little voice in the head (yes - the one that's going 'what little voice?') jumps in with all sorts of judgements about how good/bad we are. Oh- , there are plenty of people that DON'T do a good job presenting to camera or doing VO but Cath, you are not one of them. :D

When I first started doing voice overs I would re-record material umpteen times so it was perfect but, in the end, I had to stop doing that and let other people I trusted tell me how I was doing. That was the only way I got confident. So don't stop yourself because of that.

2) The length of time it takes can be annoying at times but how long are you thinking? How long does it take to do a page (incl images) by comparison? Once you get practiced the process will become a lot more fluid and natural, I promise. You will actually start to THINK video stories, which is what these are.
They like it because it answers a problem they have, I think, not because it's a great video. It's about how simple it is to clip chickens' wings (the live sort, not those for the BBQ :lol: ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfYcR8N8eAs

Having said that, I have one little video there which now has over 338,000 views. :shock: It is one of the worst videos I have ever seen. It's poor quality, the voicing is awful, my husband sat totally the wrong way... But people like it.

The only thing I'd say stands out is that it looks like it may have been heavily (and unnecessarily) compressed before you uploaded it. You do lose the value of the slide at the end because of that but what really works is your personality, essence and, to use one of Ken's words - your VOICE.

I definitely think you are underselling yourself and you could become the Davida Attenborough of chicken broadcasting.

I have some others too, and like Jacki I embed them on my site in the hopes of reducing my bounce rate. But none brings me that much traffic. In fact, I don't think my SBI! stats show any referrers from YT.

Hmm Some of it may have to do with how the video is presented on the page. We'd have to look more at that but as you know, there are so many things that affect bounce its hard to say that one will solve it!

It's quite likely there are few or no referrers from YT and this is one of the things I am hoping to bring out with this thread. If there is no referred traffic, why not? In your case, I'd experiment with cards to see if that creates an impact on traffic. But, in the end, YouTube is all about YouTube and if you are solving a problem for the viewer and it is solved, ironically you are sort of shooting yourself in the foot.

This is where strategy comes in. One approach is to create a teaser on YT and the 'Full Monty' version on your page. This will enable you to use video SEO to attract people directly to your site. YouTube is almost no help in getting traffic to your site under most circumstances, mostly because , as I said above, once a problem is solved, they are done with you. :) Think of your own behaviour when you search.

What would I like to know? Something about making money with YT. I have no idea how that would be possible except for maybe selling courses?

But you could also not bother about sending traffic to the site and enable monetizing as Jacki has done. It may not bring much with the small traffic but it does add up.

Courses using YT? Not really practical - they have Paywall restrictions anyway. You may find Facebook or Periscope useful but it requires a bit of manual handling if registrations or logins so that may be too much (but a good place to start). Alternatively Udemy or even using FBI! with password protected pages (and a 3rd party host) may be better.

Vimeo and their paid video service may be ideal. Have a look at http://mhq.sitesell.com/how-5-sbiers-pr ... video.html to see how Suzanne Vennard uses Vimeo. (She has a good tip about thumbnails too). AND there is another service which I really like and am currently trialling which would enable you to use YouTube, privatize AND monetize it. Stay tuned for more on that.

Nevertheless, videos promoting the courses makes absolute sense.... but only if you are already getting traffic and have an engaged audience! (It's not unlike the SBI! 30 page guideline)

Always the question has to be is... "Why am I making these videos" and "How can I achieve that outcome?" I know a couple of colleagues that make a motza out of YT (10's of thousands of subscribers) and if they pick up website traffic along the way its a nice bonus. :) Up to you which way you want to play the video game :wink: .

Hope this is interesting
Paul
PS I noticed you have automatic captions set on at least on of the videos. You are absolutely shooting yourself in the foot because, knowing how bad they are YT ignores them. This may help; http://sbitips.sitesell.com/video-trans ... tions.html
#1378657 by Cath from Italy
Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:21 am
Hi Paul,

Wow! What a lot of great information! Thank you so much for taking the time. I need to take a break and read through it all later today with an ice cup of coffee, or maybe even a nice glass of something cold...

But yes, it was heavily compressed - the uploading time from where I was living in Italy at the time was showing as something like 4 days :shock: and I didn't know what else to do. I don't even have the original - but in any event I don't want to lose those view numbers by changing it.

I like this idea...
I definitely think you are underselling yourself and you could become the David Attenborough of chicken broadcasting.
:lol::lol:

and I'm wondering what you think about the value of using FB Live over YT? Is it a matter of either / or, or are both worth doing? (I'm guessing the answer is "it depends"...). I tried Periscope but got lots of weird people making weird comments (and only some of them were SBIers! :lol: ) so kicked that into touch.

Also about this...
I noticed you have automatic captions set on at least on of the videos

I don't even know what those are! But I will go in search, and take them off!

Thank you again for your input!

Cath.
#1378662 by Jacki from Macleod
Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:04 pm
Thanks, Paul. Great ideas, and I'll definitely go and have a look. As far as I can tell, very little traffic from YT, but there are some people that get lots. I plan on being more visible :shock: and make more videos to pre-sell my e-courses, but the hold up seems to be that I hate seeing myself on video, so I film it, download to my computer, then cringe. I don't know. I have to get over it!
#1378718 by Paul from Mollymook Beach, NSW
Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:59 pm
Jacki from Macleod wrote:I plan on being more visible :shock: and make more videos to pre-sell my e-courses, but the hold up seems to be that I hate seeing myself on video, so I film it, download to my computer, then cringe. I don't know. I have to get over it!

Hi Jacki
You are definitely not alone (see comments to Cath above) but you don't have to be. Do you have anything you could let me see? You could even do it privately if you like. :D it can be confronting - I acknowledge that but are so many ways around that....
Don't let it get in the way.

Happy recording
Paul
#1378748 by Paul from Mollymook Beach, NSW
Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:49 am
Hi Cath,
Wow! What a lot of great information! Thank you so much for taking the time. I need to take a break and read through it all later today with an ice cup of coffee, or maybe even a nice glass of something cold...

The perfect way to read it - but not the best way to present. I remember when I did a lot of corporate interviewing for video, I eventually had to ban alcohol on the set. Participants lost their brains...

But yes, it was heavily compressed - the uploading time from where I was living in Italy at the time was showing as something like 4 days :shock: and I didn't know what else to do. I don't even have the original - but in any event I don't want to lose those view numbers by changing it.

Yes - changing it is a problem with YouTube. But you would still be well advised to reload the Captions manually (and clean up the punctuation). Some more description will be great and check your tags.

I'm wondering what you think about the value of using FB Live over YT? Is it a matter of either / or, or are both worth doing? (I'm guessing the answer is "it depends"...). I tried Periscope but got lots of weird people making weird comments (and only some of them were SBIers! :lol: ) so kicked that into touch.

I'm going to get into this with another thread. It will be interesting to see how many are using Live Video, one way or another. But, to answer your question - it depends. For example, if you have built up a Social Group on FB and you want to provide material to them, and only them, then that is the way to go. If you want to get found more broadly then YT is the way. However, I presume you want to broadcast live from the Chookorama and so you would want to use your mobile (and external mic!) As it turns out, YT dropped the number of subscribers you need to 1000 so you are good to go!

I actually think Periscope could work for public broadcasts. Its most likely a completely different audience but if you have already got a base someone else, better to see how you can work better with them...

Also about this...
I noticed you have automatic captions set on at least on of the videos

I don't even know what those are! But I will go in search, and take them off!

Yep! Or edit them, download and re-upload the edited version, manually which wouldn't take too long...

Cheers
#1378777 by Jacki from Macleod
Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:47 pm
Paul from Mollymook Beach, NSW wrote:Do you have anything you could let me see?
I don't, really. I just have a video or two that I downloaded from my camera onto the computer, and that's as far as I got. I don't know how to share that with you. :?
#1378888 by Dean from NYC
Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:36 pm
Hello!

Great topic! I've just started to revamp my site and wanted to implement videos where possible. My 14 year old son and I have been watching Casey Neistat for more than a year and we've been inspired to shoot and edit - thankfully my son is a whizz at this stuff.

I originally thought that the videos would be a way to drive traffic to my site. I even thought to create videos based on keywords/pages. But from Paul's comment I see that maybe I was naive about this. Maybe I will look to monetize just through YT. But, it all seems like a shot in the dark.

Anyway, I know all niches differ but is there a general sweet-spot length for videos? Or is this unanswerable - like... "How long should a page on my site be?"

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Dean
#1378891 by Jacki from Macleod
Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:56 pm
Dean from NYC wrote:Anyway, I know all niches differ but is there a general sweet-spot length for videos?
Some of this would depend on your niche, and what you hope to achieve with the videos. Teasers would be maybe two minutes long. A tutorial would be up to thirty or more. I've seen the advice to have varying lengths, and see what works best on your site. And, if you're embedding the video and transcribing it. There are so many options, I get analysis paralysis, and nothing gets done :roll:
#1378917 by Paul from Mollymook Beach, NSW
Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:19 am
Hi Dean,
Great topic! I've just started to revamp my site and wanted to implement videos where possible. My 14 year old son and I have been watching Casey Neistat for more than a year and we've been inspired to shoot and edit - thankfully my son is a whizz at this stuff.

This made me smile. :) My grandson began making "How To" videos about Minecraft when he was about 14. He got picked up by Machinima which was one of the agencies that had the licence to create videos about this game and generated a lot of views. Of course Google and Machinima took their cut but he still ended up when he left school last year at 18 being able to buy his own $7,000 car, outright. He had more money than anyone else in the school. Plus, and even more importantly perhaps, he learned some excellent skills, scripting, editing and VO, along the way.

One of the things I often write about is getting someone like a family friend, neighbour or local club to help you out if you are not inclined to do the whole video creation thing by yourself. Not only does it create another spark of energy and enthusiasm, they will love it (if they enjoy doing that sort of thing) and you will have a whole load off your back.

However you go about it, there is a global benefit to going through the process of creating videos for YouTube. Don't look at it in isolation about just getting traffic. For example, the educational benefits for you and your son will be huge.

I would say you also definitely need to think of it as a long term process as your online business is long term. If you can consistently create content, thats the first step. If you find that YT doesn’t support your plans then embed the videos on your pages using another host, which is more supportive of driving traffic to your site. (That would be just about anyone except YT! - or FB for that matter, but it has other benefits.)

I originally thought that the videos would be a way to drive traffic to my site. I even thought to create videos based on keywords/pages. But from Paul's comment I see that maybe I was naive about this. Maybe I will look to monetize just through YT. But, it all seems like a shot in the dark.

If you are using Casey Neistat as a role model, he has a very distinctive style of delivery and energy. What ever you do, make sure the video voice matches your voice on the site. For example, if he was doing your videos for [Domain Private], there could potentially be a mis-match. So whatever style you develop, do it so it fits with the voice of your site.

You could absolutely make money on YT but you will need volume, consistency, style, good SEO and just a little luck. I read somewhere that it takes 10,000 hrs to get to become an overnight success. Along the way, creating videos on the lines of a keyword is very smart. But do your research too. The same principles of search intent apply as for when you are choosing keywords for your pages.

(Do a normal google search and then choose the video category to see the results. Always use an incognito/private window)

Anyway, I know all niches differ but is there a general sweet-spot length for videos? Or is this unanswerable - like... "How long should a page on my site be?”

Jacki was pretty right about this and to add my tuppence, it is a really good question. As someone said to me recently - a video needs to be as long as it needs to be.

However, the overall rule is keeping your visitor engaged with a compelling story. Just having it short or long because there is a an ideal length makes no sense. HOWEVER there has been recent research….

https://wistia.com/blog/optimal-video-length (read all the comments thoroughly too)

The other factor is the platform. We haven’t mentioned FB here but this will get your mind buzzing..
http://tubularinsights.com/optimal-vide ... -facebook/

So Dean, in the end, get making, get creating and find out what works for you. Do something other than long shots of cruising up and down the river and the classic travel brochure and you will really carve out a niche for yourselves.

Happy creating.
Paul
#1378919 by Dean from NYC
Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:49 am
Wow, thanks a million Paul!

I will save and re-read this a few times, I'm sure.

You are right about focusing on the process and seeing where it takes us. I will concentrate on creating new videos consistently. Learning as we go. For now, we also want to be creative and just have fun. (The Casey reference was more about being motivated to create and edit, in our own style. I could never try to emulate him for sure.)

Thanks,

Dean
#1378921 by Elizabeth from Chatham, Kent UK
Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:35 am
Brilliant thread and thanks for starting it.

I've had a channel for ages but did nothing with it until about 10 weeks ago. I decided I really had to try and build back my traffic for my herb website. My seafood website seems to be responding to other more traditional, pinning, editing etc methods.

So - I begged and cajoled 100 people to subscribe so I could get my name in the url https://www.youtube.com/c/TheHerbGuideTV

I only do slides with voice overs. I have a face for radio, I think is the saying. I do not have confidence to present to camera. Also, my kitchen is not good for filming as it's quite small and there's nowhere to film comfortably, so the photos and words work best for me.

I've set myself a challenge of uploading one video a week - they're mostly 'How to' videos which are popular in my niche.

They don't take that long to do - I have a folder of projects I'd already prepared for my website, so instead of doing photo tutorials, I'm making videos out of them. Obviously, as more things crop up, then it takes the time of actually *doing* the How To - but that's no big issue as I like making things anyway.

I have a list I work to and I use iMovie.
So:
Upload photos
Order photos (an intro, a photo of me and an outro plus the thumbnail I've created as part of the slide show)
Write script - including 'pause for intro' as I end up talking over it too many times - once I read it out too!
Speak script - I've read through it out loud a couple of times before I actually record it
Adjust timings - the slides are extended or contracted to fit my speech
Upload to YouTube
Write descriptions, tags etc while the upload is happening - make it 'unlisted' for now
Do the Captions
Add cards - I really don't know what I'm doing there to be honest, but I just add links to my website!
Publish
Share on Facebook
Add to the page of Herb Guide TV and make a content page for it - just the video, an intro and the script - or add it to a page I've already written as some of them are old content pages.
I also try and make the videos so that they form part of next month's Herb Guide News - that way I've got another chance of getting them in front of people.

I'd like to know how to make things more ordered, get more views, more subscribers and more traffic to my website. That's the whole point of doing them, for traffic and retention on my site.

I'd also like to know about courses - not necessarily on YT of course, as you say, but I was thinking about making more explanatory videos/audios to go with a course.

I try and keep the videos as short as possible as I've been led to believe that's best - is it? I could waffle on for ever about some of the reasons *why* but that would be extending the time. Also, I was thinking that if I do go ahead and make courses, then that sort of extra could be saved for that. The 'keep it short' also presents a problem in that I have a tendency to talk too fast - I've tried to address that, but a lot of it is nerves anyway!

I'm really pushed for time at the moment, lots going on, but I wanted to jump in to get notifications of this and keep up to date - I've got a busy week ahead, but by the weekend, I'll be captive stuck on a racecourse with no computer, so maybe the iPad will let me join in the forums and catch up with stuff. If I don't join in, I'm not being rude, but I will be back :-)

'see' you soon.

Bye for now

Liz