Adding audio, video (including YouTube, Vimeo, Snapchat, etc.) and full-blogging (and other advanced functionality) gives a whole new flavor to your Solo Build It! site. This is the place to help or be helped for these topics.

Moderator: Paul from Mollymook Beach, NSW

#1386617 by Rhonda from Vineburg
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:23 pm
Hello.

I recently met a professional website developer who was kind enough to look at my (very) new site - only 4 pages - and give me a few tips. One of the things he said was that he loves my "Peedie Adventures" page but felt that it needed a call to action. Of course, I haven't begun monetizing, yet. For now, he suggested a making stronger request asking people to sign up for my newsletter, which got me to thinking about offering a freebie for enticement.

My husband is a storyteller with a great voice, so I thought I might offer a free audio file of him telling his favorite story and explaining why it's his favorite - the story behind the story. It would be exclusive to those who sign up.

I don't need help with the actual audio recording or editing right now. I have Audacity tutorials that I think I can manage with. But before I get on with writing more pages, I hope to figure out how to do this. I've searched as many posts and articles as I can stand to wade through and still don't have much of a clue.

Can anyone advise me: is there a way to send people a private audio link in an automatic email after they sign up? Thanks!

Rhonda
#1386640 by Paul from Mollymook Beach, NSW
Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:11 am
Hi Rhonda

Ahh beautiful Orkney. Might just have to come and visit you!

Jacki and Gerhild have pretty much covered some good options. I have a couple of other small things to add.

An MP3 or .wav audio file can be stored on the SBI! Special File Manager and using the code supplied in the TNT article; Embedding Audio Files Using the HTML5 <audio> Tag probably about 95% of your visitors will be able to play it.

This will make Jacki's suggestion 'in-house' so to speak. Podbean and also Soundcloud provide some external options which are well worth exploring on one of those dreich days but it all depends how much of it you want to do.

If Tom has a great storytelling voice you could perhaps do well to consider podcasting (Podbean) to begin to be discovered by a new audience or simply embedding the file on your page in the same way that Jacki is suggesting. (Just make sure you get a good mic!)

At the very least this will assist listener engagement. I reckon you could have so much fun creating audio and even video material for this site it is such a magnificent subject area.

This link will take you to the article I mentioned and some other useful audio material... http://sbitips.sitesell.com/#AUDIO

Hope this helps
Paul
#1386648 by Rhonda from Vineburg
Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:08 pm
Thank you all - such helpful suggestions! Just to make sure I understand ... I could do the recording on Audacity, for example, then put the mp3 file in Special File Manager. Then make a thank you form in Form Build It, and when someone signs up for emails, they get an automatic reply containing a link for them to access the recording? Will a link be automatically produced for me to use when I save the recording in the Special File Manager? I think I'm confused as to where the link comes from. Thanks again. You guys are great! (And get in touch if you do come to Orkney.) :o
#1386665 by Paul from Mollymook Beach, NSW
Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:31 am
Rhonda from Vineburg wrote:Thank you all - such helpful suggestions! Just to make sure I understand ... I could do the recording on Audacity, for example, then put the mp3 file in Special File Manager. Then make a thank you form in Form Build It, and when someone signs up for emails, they get an automatic reply containing a link for them to access the recording? Will a link be automatically produced for me to use when I save the recording in the Special File Manager? I think I'm confused as to where the link comes from. Thanks again. You guys are great! (And get in touch if you do come to Orkney.) :o

The link will be automatically created when you upload to Special File Manager. (You use Quick Upload It! for this)

Look at the Special File Manager help for more info or just open it up. You will see each file has an address which (if you displayed the audio file on a page) you would add into the code found in the article I referenced in my last posting. eg: [Domain Private]

You can test how how the Special File Manager works just by uploading an audio file - any Mp3 or wav and seeing how it works. :)

If you add the link simply in an email, as an attachment, make sure it is compressed as small as possible to avoid risk of being caught up in peoples email programs. Also, how it plays and displays will depend on the email program people are using. So how you set that part of it up is up to you. To use the code I have referenced you will need a web page.

Hope this helps
Paul
#1387691 by Rhonda from Vineburg
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:37 pm
Hi, guys.

It's been awhile. I've been traveling. Still trying to figure out the actual mechanics of putting the link to my audio file into my thank you/confirmation email. Exactly how do you get the link into the email? (I'm using MOM.) Or add it as an attachment, for that matter. I don't see an option in the email customizing page for adding links or attachments. I had some success, I thought, using the code, but the file didn't show up in either of my email addresses when I tested it. Would it just be simpler just to add the link to the thank you page?
I feel very dense right now. Thank you all.
Rhonda