How do you use Social Media for your business? Do you know whether to use FB or Twitter? Instagram or Pinterest? How do you leverage a growing social presence? Having trouble with "personal-social" networking? Question about hashtags? Share your best social media strategies and ideas and ask your Q's right here.

Moderator: Erin from Sikes

#1374355 by Sharon from Maple Springs
Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:49 pm
Hmmm something I noticed. I was choosing an image for my board cover but didn't really find one already pinned so I decided to pin my homepage and use an image I liked.

I pinned the image, and it immediately shows up in pinterest with 4 hundred and something pins. How could that image be pinned so many times so immediately?
#1374360 by Sabine from the Netherlands
Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:23 pm
Hi Pinners,

I don't know about you guys, but I could need a little help with choosing which boards to create. Especially how it would be related to our site.

I identified the following problems for which people would create Pin boards in our niche:
1) Which destination to go on vacation (with kids)
2) Which activities to undertake on vacation (with kids)
3) Which (child-friendly) accomodations to choose (monetization potential!!)
4) How to kill time in the car (or plane)

Items 2) and 3) are related to item 1). So we could create boards for different destinations. We also do that on our website.

The question now rises to which level we choose our boards. For instance: with respect to destinations we could choose Europe. Or France, or the Provence. On our website, Europe is a Tier 2 page. All European countries are Tier 3 pages. And France went from Tier 3 to a Tier 2 page since it's so popular. Under that, regions like the Provence are now Tier 3 pages.

So how should we reflect that structure in our Pin boards? Should I create a board "France with children"? With Pins for all the regions? Or should I create boards like "Provence with children"? In that board, we could pin activities, accommodations, etcetera. But, on the other hand, we only have one Tier 3 page to link to. On which all (or most) of these activities, accommodations etcetera (or not all) are listed.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Patrick (and Sabine)
#1374364 by Jacki from Macleod
Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:47 pm
Sabine from the Netherlands wrote:So how should we reflect that structure in our Pin boards? Should I create a board "France with children"? With Pins for all the regions? Or should I create boards like "Provence with children"? In that board, we could pin activities, accommodations, etcetera. But, on the other hand, we only have one Tier 3 page to link to. On which all (or most) of these activities, accommodations etcetera (or not all) are listed.
First, create your designated site board. Then pin from that onto your other split off boards. Don't pin directly from your site to those (it just adds another layer of repins = good if you pin from it to other boards). Use the other split off boards to pin other peoples pins - ie: curate.
#1374370 by Ruth from Kampong Bahru
Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:18 pm
Hi Cath and Erin

I love creating posters for my honey site and Pinterest is naturally one of my favorite social media platforms. Currently I have about 3600 followers and following only about 120 sites. I have not really analyzed how much traffic Pinterest is giving me but I believe it does have a certain contribution in bringing me visitors. I am not a newbie in Pinterest but I feel my level of knowledge about optimizing pins in Pinterest for traffic is very limited. I am keen on finding out:
- if there is a certain kind of pins that I should create to attract visitors to my site
- if there is a certain kind of image description that is the most effective in driving traffic
- if I am following too few sites and if this would pose any issue
- if there are any tips and advice on analyzing effectiveness of my pins for my site.
- if it is important to interact with others who commented or saved my pins
- if I need to do any house cleaning for the very old pins.
Thank you everyone!
Ruth
#1374373 by James from CA
Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:51 pm
Hello Everyone!
My name is JD and I am happy to be here!
Aside from the few articles i've read about how other people use it to get traffic, I do not know much about Pinterest. I just created an account and downloaded the app. Spent about fifteen minutes clicking pictures I like. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. I did search a very specific term that is related to my site concept idea and found zero pictures. IDK if this is good or bad. We will see.
Thanks everyone, for being helpful,friendly and positive!
#1374375 by Linda from wrinkle-free-skin-tips.com
Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:55 pm
Hi All,

I'm behind the challenge and am finishing up reading Day 2 of the PAG. In reference to business names.....

My already have a business account for my website (set this up a long time ago). But, for some reason I included dashes in between each word? Don't know why, because that's not how it's spelled. If I change that now will I lose my followers and any traffic? Like I said, it's been this way for years......
#1374377 by Janice from Creede
Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:11 pm
Hi

I'm ready to start week two but I'm confused about a couple of things. We're working on boards today, but when I do a search on Pinterest, all I get are individual pins from a variety of pinners. I click on the pin only to get to the original website and not necessarily the person who repinned it. Do people search for boards?

The other thing that is confusing me is how to get followers. I have followers to individual boards, followers for my Pinterest account and people who save pins. I know this is totally basic, and we'll probably deal with this on another day, but I'm not sure how this fits into the big picture. Since we're trying to get people to get to our website, maybe this isn't important, but if it is, I don't want to miss it.

Any thoughts?
#1374379 by Karen from Mackey
Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:43 pm
Hi Janice,
I can answer one of your questions. If you want to search for pinterest boards - put your keyword in the search bar then under the list of keywords you should see
all pins, your pins, buyable pins, people, and boards.
If you want to search for boards you can click on boards then you will find boards with your keyword.
Hope this helps.
#1374383 by Forum Admin
Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:42 pm
David, had to ask Mike about that one! He said...

1. You can’t pin background images period. That’s not unique to BB2.

2. Yes, the pinned image will be the original size not the readjusted displayed size.

Oh and I'm guessing you'll appreciate this additional info from Jeff...

Background images are usually added via CSS so they don’t even reside in the page code. If a background is added to a stripe, it’s there in the code, but there’s no way to pin it.

Hope this helps, David!

-Erin
#1374385 by Trent from Alberta
Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:45 pm
Elizabeth from Chatham, Kent UK wrote:Michelle - you are amazing! Thank you so much for that critique of my descriptions - the suggestions are so good and I love the way you've done it 'step by step' with methods and reasoning. It's going to be so much easier when it comes down to each individual board and pin to write good descriptions with that knowledge.

Again - thanks :-)

Liz

You are welcome Liz.

Cath and Erin, I see a lot of people use 'welcome' language and actually think that the comparison to our sites tier structure throughout the PAG is part of that problem. Maybe add a paragraph or 2 in the PAG saying that the your pinterest page is like a "CONVERSION" page. We are trying to convincee the pinner to join our free 'club.'

Sabine from the Netherlands wrote:
So how should we reflect that structure in our Pin boards? Should I create a board "France with children"? With Pins for all the regions? Or should I create boards like "Provence with children"? In that board, we could pin activities, accommodations, etcetera. But, on the other hand, we only have one Tier 3 page to link to. On which all (or most) of these activities, accommodations etcetera (or not all) are listed.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Patrick (and Sabine)

Patrick and Sabine,

DO BOTH!!!! :D

Seriously, Let's pretend I am using pinterest to plan my next vacation. I want to see another continent, hubby doesn't want to do the middle east and as seen Asia so we choose Europe, I want to spend HOURS looking at THOUSANDS of options and take the time to see which ones I dream about - that is were I am going. THEN I need a board about France and maybe about individual provences or cities.

Janice from Creede wrote:Hi
. Do people search for boards?

The other thing that is confusing me is how to get followers. I have followers to individual boards, followers for my Pinterest account and people who save pins. I know this is totally basic, and we'll probably deal with this on another day, but I'm not sure how this fits into the big picture. Since we're trying to get people to get to our website, maybe this isn't important, but if it is, I don't want to miss it.

Any thoughts?

Janice,
Yes, people search for boards all the time. The board is about adding personality or style to the pins. It could be part of the collection or the personality in their pin descriptions.

Some people may love what you are doing and want everything - they follow you.
Some people just want a slice of the action: puppy training, breeds, whatever - they follow just that board.
Some people might only care about a certain issue: how to keep dogs out of my garden for example. I don't want a dog right now, I am not an ideal fit for your boards but I want to pin your "keep dogs out of the garden" pin to my gardening board. I pin but don't follow.

That is all OK. Because that person who just pinned one pin still has an issue that you can help with and could still be traffic to your site or even a customer.

~Michelle
#1374389 by Cath, SiteSell Content Team
Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:20 pm
Hi guys,

I'm back for a while - Pinning Before Bedtime. Has to be a book in there somewhere! :lol:

Some welcomes first - Ruth and James - it's great to have you here! Our advice to new people is always, don't be put off by the number of posts! Start at the first post where you'll find links to every day's tasks. Work your way through those and you'll be caught up in no time. :D

Cheryl - wow that was quick! Well done for catching up and glad it's feeling better for you now.

Sharon - that image must have been Pinned before, without you realising - that's a great find for you! Is it showing up on your SBI! stats as a referrer?

Patrick - I agree with Michelle. There's no limit to the number of boards you can have so why not have them all? We need to think of Pinterest exactly as we think of our websites - from the visitor (or in this case, follower)'s perspective. And remember, you can post one Pin to as many boards as it fits.

Janice - yep, as Karen says, people do search boards. Pinterest automatically shows you individual pins, but if you look in this image, where the red marker is (You may have to scroll along - I made the image too wide), you'll see the option to click on "boards".
boards-01.jpg
boards-01.jpg (39.59 KiB) Viewed 203 times

That happens whatever you search for. (Some would say I'm obsessed with chickens. I would say, well maybe. :lol: ).

We will deal with followers a little later. Don't worry about it for now. We have ways and means... :wink:

Michelle - do you mean you're seeing "Welcome" messages on boards? Hmmm - that's a great point. Ken once looked at my chickens home page when I still said "Welcome to the home page..." and he near had apoplexy, so I learned the hard way! :lol::lol:

This...
Maybe add a paragraph or 2 in the PAG saying that the your pinterest page is like a "CONVERSION" page. We are trying to convince the pinner to join our free 'club.'

is a really helpful observation. Thank you!

How are we all going on, Pinners? Catching our breath? Any burning questions we've missed? If we have please forgive us - there are so many posts and so many great questions, and we're working across two very different time zones so it's bound to happen.

Cath.
#1374390 by Janice from Creede
Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:24 pm
Thanks Karen, that method works and makes perfect sense.

Trent/Michelle,
Great example and thanks for the explanation. I think I'm actually getting the hang of this.

Cath,
Thanks for the visual. That really helps
#1374391 by Netta from Giva'at Ada
Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:40 pm
Ok, I've created several boards, it's all new, for a new site, so they're all secret, but here are the titles and descriptions I've come up with - I would appreciate feedback - I really need to know if this is a good way to go about it.
I've tried a couple of descriptions that are KW based (amazing posts from Michelle, Thanks!)
But I've also tried a more "Storyteller style" like the Israeli Food and the Graffiti boards.
What do you think?

water saving ideas
Water saving ideas - how to save water at home, collect rainwater and AC water condensate. Learn all about Aquaponics, drip irrigation, and water saving devices.

Israeli Food
Israelis LOVE to eat : Hear the vendors shout out praise for their tomatoes at the Mahne-Yehuda Market in Jerusalem, or try the extra-fine french pastries in the Sharona Market foodies-heaven. From the famous Israeli Breakfast to the best falafel stand in Tel Aviv, here are some of my favourite Israeli foods:

Israeli recipes
Israeli Recipes: Israeli Couscous, Homemade Labane cheese, Israeli salad recipes, how to make Hummus and Tahini dips, and all the good foods that Israelis like to put on the grill :-)

Living in Israel or how about: "Israeli Snapshots" as a title for this board?
There's stuff you can only see in Israel, and most of it is very very human: From women fighter pilots to emergency archeological excavations - life in Israel is never boring!

Archeology in Israel (maybe "Holy Land" instead?)
Israel is Archeology Heaven. You can't turn a rock over without discovering some ancient Roman Ruin. Don't miss these must-see sites: Massada, City of David, Armageddon (Megiddo), Tel Beer Sheva, Avdat and the caves of Qumran. Bring a hat and a bottle of water - there's more archeology in Israel than you can see in a lifetime.

Tel Aviv Street Art Graffiti
Street art in Tel Aviv comes in stencil, paste-ups, spray-can art - and in Hebrew. Hebrew text based graffiti is an interesting phenomenon. It comes from a culture that forbade creating images for 3,500 years. Israeli graffiti then, talks a lot. Come join a guided tour in the white city, and see the writing on the wall for yourself.

Site-Board: Israel Illustrated
Life in Israel is complex. Allow me to illustrate:

Seriously, that one sentence is what this website is all about.
It's not a travel site - there are several good ones for Israel (a couple of them SBI! sites) and that is not what I want.
I'm talking about the harder aspects of life here, like this page for example [Domain Private]/negev-desert-economics-of-stone-throwing.html
After writing a few pages I've finally found "The Ground Rule":
Anything I write about - salad recipe, ancient water tunnel in Jerusalem, whatever - it must tell you something about what life here is really like.

I'd like the Pinterest account to show that, somehow.