How do you use Social Media for your business? Do you know whether to use FB or Twitter? Instagram or Pinterest? How do you leverage a growing social presence? Having trouble with "personal-social" networking? Question about hashtags? Share your best social media strategies and ideas and ask your Q's right here.

Moderator: Erin from Sikes

#1390118 by Frank from Osburn
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:25 pm
I do have a Facebook page that relates to my website business. But I hardly use it.
Now I see that Facebook is changing their attitude from business comments from businesses towards more family and friends comments.

I know many of you use Facebook as a way to gain customers, and or visitors to your business websites. I hope this new Facebook action does not hurt you.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-01-12/facebook-tumbles-after

Frank
#1390126 by David from California
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:04 pm
Facebook has had about the most cost-effective reach for those of us who advertise products, so this will take away a very useable form of advertising

Also, "Facebook opened lower by 5 percent and was last down 4 percent during Friday trading" due to the announced changes (4 hours ago)

Personally, I would rather enjoy a world without Facebook but I'm sure that there is something else just as time-wasting rising on the scene now.
#1390172 by Mark from Northern Taiwan
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:26 pm
FB advertising can be very targeted and useful, but it's too soon to see what they're going to do exactly. I doubt they'll kill it all off.
#1390186 by Jill from Westbury
Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:58 pm
It sounds like the plan is to decrease views for posts that don't get much engagement. I'm doing quite a bit on my site in anticipation of this and to increase social shares by my visitors.

I wonder if we should start a thread about what everyone should be doing to increase Facebook engagement on their posts. It sounds like they will favor fewer posts with higher engagement.

If anyone is up for this, I would be happy to start a new thread to start the brainstorming on how we increase engagement on our Facebook posts. Just let me know!

Jill
#1390217 by Judith from Quarryville
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:11 pm
Jill, yes please, and please post a link here to it!

I have been working on FB lately and starting to get a little engagement, but I doubt FB would think it is enough to get excited about. Some help would be appreciated! :D
#1390218 by Judith from Quarryville
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:13 pm
I am surprised there is not more talk about FB's changes here in the forums. :shock::?

Too early maybe? :|
#1390223 by Don from Tsiigehtchic
Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:24 am
wrote:We built Facebook to help people stay connected and bring us closer together with the people that matter to us. That's why we've always put friends and family at the core of the experience. Research shows that strengthening our relationships improves our well-being and happiness.

But recently we've gotten feedback from our community that public content -- posts from businesses, brands and media -- is crowding out the personal moments that lead us to connect more with each other.

It's easy to understand how we got here. Video and other public content have exploded on Facebook in the past couple of years. Since there's more public content than posts from your friends and family, the balance of what's in News Feed has shifted away from the most important thing Facebook can do -- help us connect with each other.

- - -

Based on this, we're making a major change to how we build Facebook. I'm changing the goal I give our product teams from focusing on helping you find relevant content to helping you have more meaningful social interactions.

We started making changes in this direction last year, but it will take months for this new focus to make its way through all our products. The first changes you'll see will be in News Feed, where you can expect to see more from your friends, family and groups.

As we roll this out, you'll see less public content like posts from businesses, brands, and media. And the public content you see more will be held to the same standard -- it should encourage meaningful interactions between people.

Here's a link to the complete text of Zuckerberg's Facebook post:

https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10104413015393571

It will be interesting to see how this plays out and in many ways it's not surprising. There's so much brand and business and fake news on Facebook now that I cannot help wondering whether Zuckerberg is implementing Facebook's own version of Panda and Penguin to regain control.
#1390227 by Mark from Northern Taiwan
Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:26 am
How much do you engage with comments on your ads on FB? I always answer comments (unless they're abusive). Sometimes it can be fun.
#1390248 by Jill from Westbury
Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:47 pm
Judith,

I thought there would be more chatter about it too. Maybe everyone is just waiting to see what the changes might be before jumping to make any changes.

Give me a day or two and I'll get a post started so we can share ways to still leverage Facebook for our sites.

Jill
#1390307 by Nancy from 90% Persistence-10% Inspiration
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 am

Don, It may be fun to watch all the cockroaches wailing and scurrying for the dark corners...

I cannot help wondering whether Zuckerberg is implementing Facebook's own version of Panda and Penguin to regain control.
#1390310 by Cath, SiteSell Content Team
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:19 am
Morning all,

We're keeping an eye on this at SiteSell. At the moment it's unclear as to exactly what it will mean - as those who use FB will know, reach for business pages has been decreasing for a while now, and this seems to imply that higher priority will be given to business group pages, largely because that's where a lot of engagement happens. Groups can be very effective, but can also be very time-consuming to moderate.

Anyone have experience with FB groups? It would be good to get some first-hand experiences.

Mike Allton, our Chief Marketing Officer who is also a well known and respected blogger in the social media world, wrote a great post about it when the news first broke last week, encouraging people to think about what this should mean for businesses (i.e. look at increasing engagement and don't panic!) - you can find it here.

Mari Smith, who's a FB expert, wrote her own FB post about it here.

And FB put out a video about it which you can find here.

"Increase engagement and don't panic" seems to me to be the best advice out there, at least at the moment! Watch this space...

Cath.