How do you use Social Media for your business? Do you know whether to use FB or Twitter? Instagram or Pinterest? How do you leverage a growing social presence? Having trouble with "personal-social" networking? Question about hashtags? Share your best social media strategies and ideas and ask your Q's right here.

Moderator: Erin from Sikes

#1393922 by Cath from Italy
Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:30 pm

Morning all,

My main website is about raising backyard chickens. I'm about to launch a paid for course about hatching, for which I'll have a FB group linked to my FB page.

My question is about the images we use for our Social Media profiles. I've never been able to quite make my mind up about which to use: my personal photo, or my website logo.

On the one hand, I want my logo to become well known because I use it (for example) as branding on my Pinterest images. On the other hand, I think people like to see a friendly face rather than a company logo. And for my new hatching course, subscribers will have some personal contact with me, at least in the FB group and maybe via email.

At the moment I have different images across all my social channels. For example, I have the logo on FB and Pinterest (and it's also my site favicon)...

squarepurplewhite192.jpg (9.36 KiB) Viewed 171 times

and a pic on Twitter, Periscope and You Tube (not that I use Periscope any more)...

cathprofile1.jpg (10.79 KiB) Viewed 171 times

(Come to look at it, I look a bit on the manic side there!).

So what do you think? Which do you use in your Social Media platforms - pic or logo - and why?

#1393933 by Michael from New Limerick
Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:52 pm
Hi Cath,

Do you own the Raising Happy Chickens site? I have looked at that a few times while trying to get ideas on how to build mine. :)

I am a novice, so my thoughts are being expressed purely on my initial response. I think that the power of facebook is enhanced by its "personal" feel. With that in mind, I like the idea of having an actual face on that platform.

I hope you are enjoying your day.

#1394308 by Cath from Italy
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:18 pm
Hi Teesta,

Yes, the chickens site is my baby. :) The Italian site which shows in my profile is also mine, but I haven't worked on it for a long time. It just sits there, earning its keep and more. :D

Thanks for your comments. I'm going to go with the personal look for now, see how it goes. :)

Kind regards

#1394319 by Susan from Ash Flat
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:25 pm
Hi Cath. My vote would be for the personal photo :) I think your friendliness and personal touch are one of the things that makes your site so great, and that will carry over onto your social media and your e-course too. I'd prefer to see the face behind the logo, if you know what I mean. Just my 2 cents!
#1394329 by Mary from Mico
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:00 am
Hi Cath,

I agree with Sue. Is there a way you could put your logo in the bottom right of your photo? Kind of "click bait"?

I have seen better pictures of you so maybe you could update this one?

Thank you for all your help here!