How do you use Social Media for your business? Do you know whether to use FB or Twitter? Instagram or Pinterest? How do you leverage a growing social presence? Having trouble with "personal-social" networking? Question about hashtags? Share your best social media strategies and ideas and ask your Q's right here.

Moderator: Erin from Sikes

#1393959 by Sharon from Maple Springs
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:24 pm

This post has both a question and suggestion.

I’m updating pages with Pinterest images. As I’m adding these images and also adding the pin button, description, and title text, I thought I’d review page titles and descriptions as well. (They need to be reviewed anyway, I'm not very good at creative descriptions)

If I’m understanding correctly Pinterest sometimes uses the pin button description, and sometimes uses the page description. Sooooo I decided to use the same text in both. So they are both Pinterest and Google friendly. (Does that make sense?)

Then I also use the same text for the page title and the Pinterest image title.

(My question is this.) Am I understanding correctly how Pinterest pulls it’s descriptions when people share?

This is my formula I’m using for the descriptions and titles of both page and Pinterest image.

description for both the page and pinterest image will be:

up to 250 characters
    Start with keyword
    include some type of call to action or verbiage that gets the click.
    Include my site name [Domain Private]

title for both the page and the pinterest image will be:
    up to 70 characters
    include keyword first

I think these parameters fall into what is required for both Google and Pinterest.

(here’s my suggestion) I’m also creating a spreadsheet with these titles and descriptions. A swipe file with this text already prepared will save me time. No thinking, just copy/paste text that has already been thought through. I can use these for my newsletter, and/or social sharing.

I want to be sure I understand the relationship between all the various description and titles. Does this sound like a good system?
#1394048 by Cath, SiteSell Content Team
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:21 pm

It sounds like a great system to me, Sharon! Thanks for sharing it!

Pinterest (as you know!) changes things all the time. So it now wants hashtags in the description, too (see this P help) and there's some evidence that it's cutting description lengths considerably.

Here's how we see it (and it's the info we have in the Pinterest Action Guide [PAG]).

• You're absolutely right about the title: the Pin title is always taken from the page title meta tag - the one in the Information Box.
  • The description should be taken (but isn't always) from the pin button. That should be Pinterest's first port of call.
  • Sometimes, though, it can be taken from your page description, and
  • Sometimes it's taken from the image's alt tag.

Eeeeek! :shock::shock::shock:

We keep the PAG up to date with the latest information - you can find the part about descriptions here (you need to scroll down the section a little).

So to try to answer your question :lol: , I do exactly what you're doing: my page title and description and pin title and description are the same. I also add hashtags into both descriptions. That's not something we necessarily recommend in the PAG, I'm just testing it out for myself at this stage.

I also look at Pinterest Search keyword suggestions, as well as using Brainstorm It! Sometimes they match, sometimes they don't. If they don't, I generally go with Pinterest's because I want my pin found on that platform.

In terms of the length, in the PAG we suggest keeping the description to under 200 characters because Pinterest cuts it off if it's longer.

We're due to do the monthly update on the PAG yet again in a few days, so Erin and I will take a look to see if we can find completely up-to-date information about this.

If anything changes, it will be announced in the SBIX and in the forums.

Pinterest: making your head spin, without taking a single drop of bubbly. :roll::lol:

#1394050 by Mary from Mico
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:25 pm

Thank you for these notes Cath. I sure had not caught the idea of using the same descriptions....

#1394080 by Mary from Mico
Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:28 am

I'm back just to double check that I remembered well that Cath said this:

I also add hashtags into both descriptions. That's not something we necessarily recommend in the PAG, I'm just testing it out for myself at this stage.

Putting hastags in my page description felt too weird to try tonight, so I'm watching here.

#1394120 by Sharon from Maple Springs
Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:01 pm
I didn't even think about hashtags. So maybe what I should do is instead of my site name.... [Domain Private]. I could make that the hashtag and a second hashtag with my keyword. I wonder if that too many times for the keyword.

And I've never heard of putting the hashtag in the page description box, I don't suppose it would hurt anything though.

Thanks for helping me think this through before I start in earnest. It will be a big project. In fact if I can narrow down to just the formula I want for this I may hire it out!