How do you use Social Media for your business? Do you know whether to use FB or Twitter? Instagram or Pinterest? How do you leverage a growing social presence? Having trouble with "personal-social" networking? Question about hashtags? Share your best social media strategies and ideas and ask your Q's right here.

Moderator: Erin from Sikes

#1393960 by Elizabeth from Somewhere near the sea!
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:33 pm
I have noticed the growth in the last week of pins where there is just a colored background and words.

Not sure how they are created, but they are starting to be around 10 percent of my pinterest feed.

Anyone know if this is a new idea or what? I saw a couple of them that were from my own site too, and I didn't pin them :shock:
#1393964 by Elizabeth from Somewhere near the sea!
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:09 pm
So how does it work? Is it pinterest doing it or the site owner?

The page of mine that was there has lots of pictures. What is a suitable picture? Have the rules changed again?
#1393975 by Jacki from Macleod
Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:21 am
This is Pinterest's default if there is no picture. It can be any size.

Not sure why it would be picking up on no pic if you have lots - is this you pinning, or someone else?
#1393978 by Elizabeth from Somewhere near the sea!
Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:45 am
No I have been manually pinning, rather than pinning from my site.

But of course I have been on pinterest with my big site from when it started and for a long time ignored it as I could not see how it could be beneficial.

Unless it relates to pictures that were pinned a few years ago, and later replaced with a better picture, or larger etc when I started taking notice of pinterest as a traffic source.

Every page on both of my sites has some sort of image on it. On this particular site every page has lots of pictures.

I just noticed how many of this type of pins are there on pinterest. Wonder if its a glitch?

I must check and see if the pages behind these pins have pinnable pictures on... must do some investigation :roll:
#1393985 by Dee from Cape Cod
Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:35 am
Hi Liz -

It's interesting that you raised this topic. I noticed the same thing today while I was researching to see what people were pinning from my site.

One of the really odd things (to me, at least) is that there's no rhyme nor reason to what appears when someone pins from a page on my site.

For example: my Cape Cod Towns page. When some people pin from that page, a photo of my map of Cape Cod towns appears as the pin - as it should. Other times, it's simply a colored background and words.

It makes no sense to me! :shock::?

#1393990 by Elizabeth from Somewhere near the sea!
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:26 am

I am glad you noticed it too! Its not just me looking too hard at stuff that may not matter!

You might be right Jacki. They might be changing things.... again!

Guess they are trying to work out how to make money from it. Somehow... they want us to pay for the privilege of using them.
#1394012 by Laura from Golden
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:15 pm
Hi Liz,

Here is my experience using the Pinterest app for mobile. When I'm in the Pinterest app and click on a pin in my feed and click to go to the actual page, I can save the 'page' to my Pinterest. When I click the Save button, I'm presented with all the images from that page to choose from, including a text only pin. It is then the pinner's choice to choose which they prefer.

So it would appear that pinners using the app prefer the text-only pin sometimes. I have also saved the text-only pin sometimes when it makes the most sense to me and what I'm saving the page for.

I hope that helps some.

Best regards,
SiteSell Support Team
#1394206 by Laura from Golden
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:22 pm
You're welcome. :-)

I'm thinking that it's Pinterest that adds the text-only pin as an option (but don't know for sure).

I personally like the text-only option or the image-with-text options for certain pins so I can remember what that pin was about later. Of course, many image-only pins are obvious what the pin was about. But take for example, if I save an image of a beach. I'll likely choose the text-only option or, if one is available, the image-with-text option so I can remember which beach is it. (No, I don't usually take notice of the descriptions :oops: ). For me the point is to remember later why I pinned it when I want to visit the pin/page later rather than having a bunch of 'pretty' pins. Although, I do save pins just for the pretty pictures, also. :-)

So I'm thinking that if you, as a site owner, prefer people pin your images, you may want to offer images with text when it makes sense to do so.

Just my personal user experience. Hope it helps. :-)

Best regards,
SiteSell Support Team
#1394259 by Elizabeth from Somewhere near the sea!
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:12 pm
Laura, are you saying that is a site related thing with the beach or personally when you are looking at a site with lovely beaches?

I just saw one come up a minute ago in my feed, and I did not pin it, and funnily although its a Tier2 page I have never pinned that page. Trying to pin a picture that is not quite right as no specific picture fits as a "picture" of the page as its a hub page really!

Strange that it was pinned by someone that way! I might save it myself if I can find it again...