High-value content that OVERdelivers on search intent is the key to business success with Solo Build It!. Master this to build a C T P engine that drives you to evergrowing "M" (Monetization). Best strategies and recommendations. Ask questions, and get help.

Moderator: Carol from East Anglia

#1381094 by Judith from Ayden
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:41 pm
I just built a page that is close to 3,000 words. I know that the general wisdom is to split long pages into several short pages. In this case it made sense (to me at least) to keep it all to one page.

Here is the page:

[Domain Private]

Judith
#1381112 by Christine from Elliottville
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:59 am
Over the years I've written many VERY long pages on all my sites. And they've always been my best performers. Like you, I've done it when it makes sense to me to keep all the info in one place. So I guess the moral is to go with what feels right :)
#1381153 by Mary from Mico
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:01 pm
Hi Judith,

I agree with Christine.

I think that 3000 words is fine. Just skimming that page, it seems very informational. If I were coming to Minnesota, I'd want a page just like it. Perhaps a few more images. Large images.

I hope this helps.

Mary
#1381154 by Mary from Mico
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:24 pm
More.

Hm... I missed the headline's question. My apologies. The only way I know to find a word count is to use SiteLiner.com.

I was not able to see the word count for all of my pages as I have more than their free 250 pages limit. I do see that I have about 30 pages that have more than 2500 and about 20 that have more than 3000 words.

Some of those words are my highest trafficked and ranked, yet some are not even ranked. :shock:

Perhaps SBI could put the page count in one of the places that lists our pages, especially now that the word count is in Site Builder? I'd love to see a SiteLiner type chart for SBI stats.

Mary
#1381158 by Judith from Ayden
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:07 am
Thank you Mary and Christine! I appreciate your positive feedback.

I will add another image or two. Since the page was already so long, I kind of hesitated to make it longer...even with images.

Judith
#1381180 by Cath, SiteSell Content Team
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:47 am
Hi Judith,

I love the photos and no, I don't think you've overdone it. They lead the eye down the page well and break up the text. The page loaded quickly for me so I don't think they're causing any problems there.

There's some evidence that long pages do well these days, although that doesn't seem to hold good for every niche (nor for every page of different niches). I have really long history pages on my Italian site (I'm talking 6,000+ words) which do well (in terms of time on page) because kids use them for their homework! And long pages elsewhere on the site that don't do well because people are wanting "quick and dirty" info about what time a museum opens, for example. So it's partly a question of knowing your audience, as ever.

When I have very long pages, I tend to put anchor links at the top of the page in a call-out box which go to the different sections. I used to dread doing anchor links and avoided them but BB2 now makes it so easy, I use them frequently. You can see an example here: [Domain Private] in the callout box which starts: "This is quite a long page". People can then go straight to whatever it is they've come to the page for.

Hope that helps.

Cath.
#1381198 by Mary from Mico
Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:37 pm
Hi Judith,

I agree with Cath. Your page looks great and it seems more inviting to me. I know Nori's got super long pages, but her photos really draw me. I love that blue!

I'm sorry that I forgot to mention the anchor links. Cath is right. They're very helpful. I have multiplication and addition pages that are huge. I myself use the jump links. :-)

Mary
#1381207 by Judith from Ayden
Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:44 pm
Thanks again for the affirmations and ideas about how to make this page even better. I will work on anchor links, etc.

This page "happened" when I found a really good keyword but was somewhat perplexed about how to use it. I already had quite a few "top 10" and "ten best" pages on my site. My first inclination was to just make it a "gathering place" to better showcase those pages that have always been some of my most visited.

I forced myself to think "bigger" about the vision for this page and realized that what I really wanted was for it to become somewhat of an "index" to my site. My first hurdle was that Minnesota is historically divided into seven distinct tourist regions. And I have pages about that. How to now claim ten???

As I went through all of my resource material I saw that I might have a different view of the state and one that would be helpful to my readers. All of my ongoing research affirmed that these ten actually were distinct enough to be come one of a "top ten" list. And, that after all the years of working on my site, I now had enough supporting pages to do this page.

I also decided to limit affiliate links on this page because my goal is to have my readers go to the other pages...not to an affiliate that might pay me .5 for my link to them. :lol:

Again, thank you, thank you for affirmations that I'm on the right track.

Judith