High-value content that OVERdelivers on search intent is the key to business success with Solo Build It!. Master this to build a C T P engine that drives you to evergrowing "M" (Monetization). Best strategies and recommendations. Ask questions, and get help.

Moderator: Carol from East Anglia

#1391820 by Carolyn V. from Ruffin
Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:14 pm
I have read here on the forum that pages that have under 400 words of copy will be blacklisted by Google.

My concern here is that all of my tier 2 pages (the ones you get to when you click on a nav bar) are “introductions” to my tier 3 pages, so most of my tier 2 pages are under 400 words. Even my home page, an introduction to my magazine, is under 400 words.

Now all of my tier 3 pages have at least 600 words or more, so I’m okay there.

Will Google blacklist my site just because some of the pages are short? Or will they only blacklist those particular pages?

Even so, I do have traffic, but of course I’d like more.

Should I go back and fluff up ALL my pages with more words?
#1391824 by Jacki from Macleod
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:47 pm
Carolyn V. from Ruffin wrote:will be blacklisted by Google.
There is no such thing. They most likely won't get indexed, but that's not the same thing.

Carolyn V. from Ruffin wrote:Should I go back and fluff up ALL my pages with more words?
Fluffing is definitely not the right way to go about it. Adding value, definitely. Add a video, so the page gets people to stay on it longer, but don't just add worthless 'padding'.
#1391830 by Cath, SiteSell Content Team
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:28 pm

Jacki's absolutely right, Carolyn. The reason Analyze It! sets the bar at 400 words is because short pages are less likely to get indexed. Analyze It! says this:

Search engines are unlikely to view this as a serious content page, meaning results will likely be poor.

... and adds...
Do not increase the word count by adding "filler content" to the page.

It also gives scope for ignoring the advice:
If you believe that your page already fully OVERdelivers (because it has an excellent infographic, for example), feel free to ignore this very important recommendation.

So, if you can add information which is useful to your site visitors, do. Otherwise, leave it alone.

If you can remember where you saw that information on the forums, please link to it here so we can make sure it's corrected.

Thank you!

Cath.
#1391957 by Igor from UK
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:31 pm
[quote=" Add a video, so the page gets people to stay on it longer, but don't just add worthless 'padding'.[/quote]

Hi, how do you add video to your page in a block builder? Does it always have to be a youtube video?
Thanks
#1391959 by Jacki from Macleod
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:38 pm
Igor from UK wrote:how do you add video to your page in a block builder?
Get the code from any video on Youtube, usually it's the Embed code, and paste it into a Raw Html block in your page.

Igor from UK wrote:Does it always have to be a youtube video?
No, there are others but I think you need a video player. YouTube is the easiest.
#1391965 by Carolyn V. from Ruffin
Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:28 am
I was thinking I could have the video transcribed and then people could choose to read it and/or watch the video... and that would add words to the page. What do you think about that idea?
#1391967 by Paul from Somewhere, out there...
Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:36 am

Hi

I'd like to weigh in on this as there are severl things I might be able to add value with.

1. Jacki is correct about the process of adding a video and that there are other hosts. Every commercial video host I know, has the player inbuilt so the process is generally very similar. The differences lie in the functionality and benefits each host brings. SBI! has a list of video hosts in resources; http://sbiresources.sitesell.com/#VIDEO.

2. To Igor's question

Does it always have to be a youtube video?
The answer is a resounding no. This is not the place for me to get into a conversation but Igor you may find this article (and it's linked series) useful: http://sbitips.sitesell.com/adding-video-choices.html . NB - this still refers to JWPlayer having a free player which they have discontinued just recently. The articles have been updated but not uploaded yet.

The bottom line is that you should choose your video host based on the kind or results you want from it and how you plan to use it. If you trawl through the video forum I have written about this a bit; viewforum.php?f=12 or if you want to ask a specific question over there, you can.

3. And finally, Carolyn
I was thinking I could have the video transcribed and then people could choose to read it and/or watch the video... and that would add words to the page. What do you think about that idea?

YES! with caveats... Again, this is a huge subject but may I point you to: http://sbitips.sitesell.com/video-trans ... tions.html

It mostly deals with YouTube and again, the article is slightly out of date (new one soon!). But you are definitely in the right ballpark. In summary - adding Captions (CC) to your video and then take advantage of the SEO advantages is a good plan.

Hope this helps
Paul
#1391982 by Martin from Big Flats
Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:39 pm

I saw a quote somewhere - I can't remember if it was within SBI or not ...

Your page should be like the length of a womans skirt -
Long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to keep it interesting.

I thought that summed it up rather well. :lol:

Martin
#1391998 by Jacki from Macleod
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:29 pm
Paul from Somewhere, out there... wrote:I'd like to weigh in on this as there are severl things I might be able to add value with.
Thank you Paul! I knew you would have the answers.