High-value content that OVERdelivers on search intent is the key to business success with Solo Build It!. Master this to build a C T P engine that drives you to evergrowing "M" (Monetization). Best strategies and recommendations. Ask questions, and get help.

Moderator: Carol from East Anglia

#1395645 by ken-admin
Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:56 am
Hi to all,

Anyone who gets through DAY 6 and MYCPS! has laid the most important part of the foundation for success. Don't get me wrong - you still need to do DAYs 7 TO 10 (I'm not letting you off that easy ;-) ).

But picking the just-right niche, figuring out your particular spin (positioning) and voice of your refined niche selection is the most important part of the process. Get it right and you'll be riding with the wind to your backs (instead of into your face). Assuming you've got that nailed down, along with a strong monetization plan and a superb, short, memorable domain to boot...

We next cover off how to write outstanding content that OVERdelivers on the search intent of the topics ("keywords") of your niche-based site. Do that and you can't really help but build traffic.

That said, I don't think I've ever mentioned that you should write THE WORLD'S BEST as your goal. "Just" be outstanding - that alone is pretty darn good.

But there's a difference. The latter deliverable ("outstanding" content) is suggestive, and subjective. But the former ("world's best") is a more precise and objective target. It also suggests a way to go about it and actually create the very best that's out there.

Yes, there's also a way to do it. Normally, we don't provide full links to an article. We prefer to incorporate bits and pieces (best ideas) from various articles, improving the AG here or an HQ article there. But this article is superb, stands on its own and deserves your full attention and credit...

https://meetedgar.com/blog/you-can-writ ... heres-how/

Go ahead. Create the world's best content.

Here's HOW to do that...

https://meetedgar.com/blog/you-can-writ ... heres-how/

I'd like to hear if you felt that this was as hopeful as I'm imagining it to be. Please let me know? :-)

All the best,
Ken
#1395667 by Cath from Italy
Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:25 am
I found it an exceptionally well-written article: clear, concise, jargon-free and with good step-by-steps (which as anyone who knows me knows is what I always want!). And these days, that's a rarity.

But to be honest, Ken (and always liking to be a little controversial) my first thought is "is it really saying anything SBI! doesn't already say?"

OK, so perhaps nothing in SBI! says "be the world's best", but it's certainly implied. Work at it, be the best you can be, and always know you can improve on that is the message I've always taken from SBI!.

But the rest of it? SBI! maybe doesn't say all those things in the same place, but none of them were new to me. Maybe that's because I've been around SBI! for a long time and learned hugely from all the resources, not just the AG - TNT / MHQ articles, webinars, the conferences when they existed, individual work with the Pros, and perhaps most of all, our forums.

And it's definitely an article I wish we had written. :?

But basing everything on the first article in Google Search ... hmmm - not at all sure about that. What I see in the top few positions is often not that great.

Still, very well worth reading and pondering. Thanks for sharing it.

Cath.
#1395669 by Nancy from 90% Persistence-10% Inspiration
Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:55 am

Ken, thank you for posting a link to this gem. There's a LOT there. I spent about an hour carefully reading it and copying it into my Evernote file with some added ideas.

Here's the most important of my additions:
1) Download and use the Hemingway Editor. A simple, but powerful tool for writers for the cheap price of $19.99. It helps me simplify my prose. The software has a Readability score and also counts and highlights:

• Adverbs
  • Sentences with simpler alternatives
  • Hard to read long sentences
  • Harder to read - very long sentences with lots of awkward clauses that run on and on and on....

2) Having trouble writing a good headline? Try the rather cheesily named Emotional Marketing Value Headline Analyzer.
It's a silly little tool, but it helps me change my very analytical, wordy (and boring) default style to something with a bit more snap. I just keep throwing ideas at it and noting the results for each one until I hit on several that score well. Then I step away from it for a couple of hours. I go for a walk, take a shower or sculpt some clay. Anything to distract me and take my mind off of writing headlines for a while. Then I come back and make my final choice.

3) And if I'm having an extremely hard time with my headlines I head for ridiculousness at Portent's Content Idea Generator and just play for a bit.
#1395733 by Claude from hamradiosecrets.com
Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:35 pm
ken-admin wrote:this article is superb, stands on its own and deserves your full attention and credit...

Excellent. I agree.

It's effective because it provides an easy to understand, step-by-step approach to craft the most outstanding article possible. (Notice I did not use write, or compose but craft).

I read it with my last article in mind (published March 28).

My article met 6 out of eight requirements/criteria. Not bad. But could be better! :D

I could have crafted a better headline.
Nancy from 90% Persistence-10% Inspiration wrote:2) Having trouble writing a good headline? Try the rather cheesily named Emotional Marketing Value Headline Analyzer.

Nancy, thanks for this. I will use it from now on.
Nancy from 90% Persistence-10% Inspiration wrote:3) And if I'm having an extremely hard time with my headlines I head for ridiculousness at Portent's Content Idea Generator and just play for a bit.

Yeah! Why not try this too before making a final decision?

I definitely could have backed up my research with some authoritative proof, and a few links to them. :roll:

I felt my last article was pretty good.

I am very happy to learn how I can improve it and the upcoming ones . . . (yeah, and some of my older ones too :shock:

Claude
#1395752 by Mary from Mico
Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:38 am
Hi Ken,

Wonderful article, yet....

I agree that it reminded me of what you've put forth here at Sitesell, the step by step par excellence!

Oh. You and Harvey. :D

And Cath.

Etc.

Thank you for the fresh perspective, though. I did find it interesting that sentences might do better for headlines. Al least Google could measure the different parts of speech....

Mary
#1395762 by Jackie from Yorkshire
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:27 am
I think this is an outstanding article, because I learned such a lot from it.

So much so I am going to print it off and use it like a template.

I think this topic is so important to peoples success I would like to ask for (the topic, not this specific article ) to be a seperate

1. action guide, like the pinterest one
2. Webinar
3.Video

If users don't get this bit right, then success is going to be difficult.

I liked the balanced use of words, and visuals and I liked the wheel with words on.

I liked the Tactical Takeaways at the bottom.

For me it resonated more than the SBI way of explaining (even though similar?) but that said, what works for me may not work for others but I immediately "got it" with this article.

I liked the additional informational/tools in the comments above so thank you everyone for that.

They helped too.

If I am truthful, I don't much like writing so anything that makes it easier is a bonus, especially if laid out as a process.

Hope that adds something to the conversation :D

Best Wishes

Jackie
#1395772 by Julie from Adona
Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:57 pm
Nice article, but nothing that I hadn't already gathered from SBI.

I like the emphasis on the 'research your competitors' part, 'cause if you don't know what they're doing, you don't know what you're up against.

A page should be as long as it needs to be. Right on.

Having a checklist that I can print out instead of pull together after reading is invaluable. Anything that cuts down on my needing to reorganize information is a godsend (the ol' there's only 24 hours in a day rule...even if you are a solopreneur!)

Thanks for sharing, Ken!

Julie
#1395850 by Susan from Ash Flat
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:44 pm

Thanks for sharing that article Ken. An interesting read. As you've all said it echoes a lot of what SBI has been teaching us from day one, the practical suggestions such as how to improve headlines and such was a timely reminder that I can do better... much better a lot of the time :lol: Thanks for the link to that tool Nancy, useful to know, I bookmarked it for future use.

I also clicked through to read the 'Why Depth not Breadth will be the Rallying Cry...' and there's mention of something in there which I found interesting because it's related to a stats thing that always has me a bit confused :roll:

....our top-line metric is “TTR,” which stands for total time reading. It’s an imperfect measure of time people spend on story pages. We think this is a better estimate of whether people are actually getting value out of Medium.

Many of my pages are long, right up there with the page-length recommended in the meetedgar post as being optimum, some even longer. These are consistently the most trafficked pages, and people spend a fair amount of time reading them... anywhere from 3 to 7 minutes, with 5 or 6 being average. Which is good, in my opinion anyway, but then comes the bad news...

Visitors leave. Because they've got the information they need from that very comprehensive page. This means my bounce rate is consistently very high, and has always been that way, in spite of any attempts I make to lower it.

I know currently that a high bounce rate is seen as a negative by the SE's, my hope has always been that Google (and others) will also factor in the amount of time spent on a page and not consider it a 'bounce' after several minutes even though GA counts it as one.

So, seeing what the contently article said about 'time-spent-reading' as being a positive factor in terms of measuring whether people get value from an article reinforces my hope that time spent on a page is important, and a positive thing :)
#1396104 by Karen from WA
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:17 am
This IS an outstanding article, with actionable and measurable steps that I can take to raise the bar of my writing and garner top SERP rankings. I certainly concur that SBI materials have always set the bar high, but the article delivered very well on its title, imo ("You Can Write the Internet's Best Article on Any Subject - Here's How"). What a challenge!

I may look through my MKL for a pertinent, powerful keyword, and then see if I can rise to the challenge, following the "how-to" of this article. It'll be fun, and should result in more traffic, yay!
#1396106 by Rob from Thabakhubedu
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:10 am

Great article Ken. Pretty much ratifies exactly what you and SBI! teach and stand for, plus with some additional brilliant takeaways.

In reply to "Susan from [Domain Private]":

I know currently that a high bounce rate is seen as a negative by the SE's, my hope has always been that Google (and others) will also factor in the amount of time spent on a page and not consider it a 'bounce' after several minutes even though GA counts it as one.

I'm pretty sure that Google would consider 7 minutes on one article as the same as spending 7 minutes looking at 3 different articles on one site.

(Disclaimer: that is just my opinion and not backed up by any data.)

They want to provide value to their users and if their users on average spend "7 minutes" reading an article on a specific Keyword/Topic that's certainly adding value to their users who are searching for solution to that specific topic...

Possibly more value then a page that people only spend 2 minutes on before they move off to another page on that website.

I also think a better way to assess your page/websites health from a bounce rate perspective is to rather think of "bounced visitors" as the problem, instead of the data returned for "bounced rate."

A "bounced visitor" for me, is someone who arrives on your site, has a quick look and then leaves in the first 30 secs to 1 min, because he/she is not engaged in the content (it has not provided value for him/her). That is a negative metric for your SEO...

That is the "Bounce Rate" figure you should be paying attention to.

A person who engages in your content for a good period of time (7 mins average is a pretty darn good engagement), for me is not a "bounced visitor" regardless of whether they look at another page on your site or not.

You have provided a solution to their problem. High Fives from Google to you!

Your next thoughts should be...

How am "I" capturing and retaining those visitors who I have clearly provided great value to and now pre-sold to a degree, so that I can benefit longer term from their traffic, the relationship I've started to build with them and their potential future customer purchases (sorry, couldn't think of a better way/wording to say future customer purchases - haha).

Now... you can start looking at Content Upgrades to grow your email list; Content Upgrades for viral sharing (Go Viral / Smart Bride is a great free tool for this: https://smartbribe.com/ ); etc.

Okay - time for me to stop waffling and get back to some work :D . Got TO-DO lists for daysss :shock: ... now that I'm back in the swing of things!

Regards,
Rob
#1396174 by Moorea S. from USA
Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:08 pm
This was a great article. Thanks for sharing it. I'll echo the sentiment that SBI has already been providing a lot of this advice.

I have a question. What this article calls the "headline" would be Blockbuilder's "Page Title," right? At first I assumed this would correspond to Blockbuilder's Headline, but when I thought about what visitors typically see in the search engine results, I think it would usually be Blockbuilder's Page Title.

Happy writing,
Moorea
#1396182 by Bill from Talos IV
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:48 pm

Hey Ken!

Thanks for posting that article. It came at the perfect time for me since I'm in the process of doing a major overhaul of my site. Like others wrote, the article rehashes what SBI has been saying for years, but it's nice to see it from a different perspective.

Today I decided to write the best page on the 'net about how to smoke a pre-cooked ham. No content yet other than lots of pics of my smoker, the ham, the ham glaze I made... with many any more pics to follow. It's still cookin'. Best of all is the pic of my bare feet. I'm kicked back in my outdoor recliner by my travel trailer, the smoker in front of me, and the snow-capped La Sal mountain peaks in the distant background. Give my images a couple K quality words and I think the page will be a winner. :)

smokin-in-moab.JPG
smokin-in-moab.JPG (77.86 KiB) Viewed 258 times

**profanity auto removed**, this job is tough! :lol:

Thanks again. Wish you were around more. It would be nice.

And yes, I've been drinking some beers while working. But my boss doesn't mind.

Have a good one,