Share and discuss Solo Build It!'s BlockBuilder 2 strategies and tips. Get help using BlockBuilder. If you're converting pages from the old BlockBuilder, find tips to make the switch easier.

Moderators: A J from Somewhere Hot, Laura from Chautauqua

33% OFF The World’s Most Effective Web Business-Builder - Solo Build It!
#1371370 by Susan from Ash Flat
Wed May 17, 2017 10:13 pm
I'm not sure that I have a grip of when to use the 301 redirect, but I have a situation where I THINK it will be the right way to go, but would appreciate confirmation (or otherwise) on that.

Okay, so I have a page on my [Domain Private] site which was built waaayyyy back and in my excitement at getting started back then I managed to not notice that the keyword was spelled wrong :oops:

It has always bothered me that it's wrong but I didn't want to delete and rebuild the page with the correct spelling because it tends to get a fair number of visitors. So, it's sat there, with that incorrect keyword... just irritating me from time to time.

Well, now we have the 301 redirect, so would this be a good opportunity to build a new page with the correct spelling and use the 301 function? The page could do with a face lift anyway :roll: There isn't a downside to doing this is there?
#1371447 by Jacki from Macleod
Thu May 18, 2017 5:50 pm
I had another thought about this late last night :shock: I'm sure it tells you all about this in the help files, but before you go crazy, I would clone the page you want to delete, changing the file name to the correct one.
#1371559 by Susan from Ash Flat
Fri May 19, 2017 7:17 pm
Jacki... I had the same thought, after I got half-way through the re-write :lol::roll: but I've ended up changing so much that cloning it probably wouldn't have helped a whole lot.

But I also had another thought, not sure how this works.... the original page with the misspelled keyword is on page one at google for the correct spelling (the Goog is clever like that). Once I delete it and build the new one will the original page drop off the SE's even though it has a redirect to the new page with the correctly spelled word?

Does that make sense? I know what I'm trying to say but it sounds confusing even to me.

What I'm wondering is if the old page which ranks well gets dropped and I have to wait for the new one to work it's way up, I'm kind of shooting myself in the foot by reworking it. But as I don't want the keyword misspelled forever and I'm assuming it counts against the page anyway I intend to see this through, will just be sorry to lose traffic :(
#1371567 by Jacki from Macleod
Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm
Susan from Ash Flat wrote:Once I delete it and build the new one will the original page drop off the SE's even though it has a redirect to the new page with the correctly spelled word?
I think it will retain some of the credit, and hopefully, the bots will find it by using the link, and traffic won't stop entirely. With luck. You may have to be the guinea pig!

Edited; yes, the old page will no longer be indexed, once it drops off, because of course, you'll have deleted it. That's how this 301 thing works :wink: