Share and discuss Solo Build It!'s BlockBuilder 2 strategies and tips. Get help using BlockBuilder. If you're converting pages from the old BlockBuilder, find tips to make the switch easier.

Moderators: A J from Somewhere Hot, Laura from Chautauqua

#1374313 by Barrie from Curries Post
Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:06 am
I'm fairly sure that both the breadcrumb and the link containing the keyword on a T3 page should link back to a T2 page, preferably two different T2 pages. Otherewise Google won't recognise the page.

For example, both of these links at 'growing peppadews' (a T3 page) must link to a T2 page.
Return from growing peppadews to pathophysiology of atherosclerosis.
Bernard Preston » How to grow chilli » Growing peppadews

Both 'patho...' and 'how to grow chilli' are T2 pages.

But what about a T2 page? You can't have both the breadcrumb and your link with the keyword linking back to your T1 page. What are others doing?

Bernie
#1374314 by Paul from Mollymook Beach, NSW
Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:09 am
Hi Bernie

I wonder if you have seen this article in TNT; http://sbitips.sitesell.com/breadcrumb-navigation.html.

It lays out the process in detail and will cover your questions, I think. If I am understanding your quesiton you would only have the breadcrumbs (which also include the links back. The older method of 'Return To with the keyword included, would not remain - eg as you have here: [Domain Private]
Hope this helps
Paul
#1375109 by Barrie from Curries Post
Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:34 am
Thank you Paul for the reminder. I had seen the page, but it was good to revisit.

I still have a little dilemma with T2 pages. As I understand it, one can have a breadcrumb linking back to the homepage, AND a link using the keyword to another page.
For example, Return from VARICOSE VEINS AND HERBS to VARICOSE VEINS IN LEGS

My question is, must 'varicose veins in legs' be another T2 page? Or can it be a T3 page? Or should one scrap this format altogether?

I'm finding this is really important; get it wrong and Google relegates your page to the nether regions of the web universe!

Barrie
#1375137 by Paul from Mollymook Beach, NSW
Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:52 pm
Barrie from Curries Post wrote:I still have a little dilemma with T2 pages. As I understand it, one can have a breadcrumb linking back to the homepage, AND a link using the keyword to another page.
For example, Return from VARICOSE VEINS AND HERBS to VARICOSE VEINS IN LEGS

My question is, must 'varicose veins in legs' be another T2 page? Or can it be a T3 page? Or should one scrap this format altogether?

I'm finding this is really important; get it wrong and Google relegates your page to the nether regions of the web universe!

Hi Barrie,
Well, someone who is a real whiz at breadcrumbs may come along but here is my take.

The Breadcrumbs are specifically designed to tell the SE's the relationships between the pages. In my experience, that's their number one function. Any visitor interaction is a bonus.

The rest is all about making the page seriously human friendly within the AG guidelines. I think you will find there are many ways to send people to other pages. Many people use images (very visually appealing and good for the image searchers too) Others also include the link as a natural and logical part of the text.

Having links to other T3's and even T2's is a good plan and this article; http://sbitips.sitesell.com/best-practices.html recommends:

At the bottom of a Tier 3 page, it's also helpful to point sideways to other related Tier 3 pages. One way to do this is to create an "Other Pages That May Interest You" or "Related Information" section. Add a thumbnail photo and a link to each of 2-4 pages. Use the Responsive Grid Block for this.

Hope this helps
Paul
#1375204 by Mary from Mico
Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:46 pm
Hello Bernie.

The way I understand it, every T3 must connect to at least one T2 and then to the T1 (home).

If your page links mostly from a T3 that is linked from a T2 it could be a T4.

I do not think you would have a T3 that does not link through a T2 to your home page. It would itself be linked back as a T2 in this case. If it is not linked from the home page or a T2 (the very links that define the T2 and T3), it would then be an orphan even if it is linked back to to a T3.

Maybe I'm being silly, but I think our sight structure has to have at least one leg running down (out):

Home T1 > T2 > T3 > T4 etc.

Then at least one line needs to run back the same main path. It's your proof you do not have orphaned pages. You can have other branches to T3s, but must have at least one complete pathway back to the Home page missing no tier.

Maybe I'm missing the boat with your question. :-)

Mary
#1375244 by Vicki from Lilbourn
Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:57 am
My feeling is that Paul is correct about breadcrumbs being different than other links, because they are there to show the structure of how the page fits into the site. Other links on the page (except for nav links) are strictly editorial. That is, they are your recommendation to your visitor about where they should go to find out more info about the page topic. In those cases, the most important thing would be whether or not your visitors were following your recommendations and clicking on them. A link that no one uses is useless to an SE.

Vicki
#1375617 by Barrie from Curries Post
Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:03 am
Many thanks all; it's coming clearer. Specifically, Vicky, and I think I should know this, how do you know if anybody is clicking on links on a page?

B