Share and discuss Solo Build It!'s BlockBuilder 2 strategies and tips. Get help using BlockBuilder. If you're converting pages from the old BlockBuilder, find tips to make the switch easier.

Moderators: A J from Somewhere Hot, Laura from Chautauqua

33% OFF The World’s Most Effective Web Business-Builder - Solo Build It!
#1385412 by Susan from Mangawhai
Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:58 am

Does anyone know why the footer is missing on these pages?

I have done something while I was building them but don't know what and have been trying to work it out by myself for some time, without success. :?

Thanks,
Susan
#1385414 by Jacki from Macleod
Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:04 am
Is this BB2? You must have closed a site wide dot in the footer area.
#1385419 by Susan from Mangawhai
Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:54 am
Thank you for thinking of that possibility. I dived off to check hoping it would be the answer but unfortunately it's not. I've not closed the site wide footer dot. It's a mystery!
#1385451 by Debs from SiteSell
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:55 pm
You may have improperly closed a div or table, or not closed them at all. If you did, it is likely around the words where the footer actually starts. The
most likely option is missing a closing div </div> but it could be something else entirely ;)

I'd look at the div's first.

Debs
#1385498 by Joseph from Mount Laurel
Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:40 am
Susan,
You are missing all that is RED.
Plus any of the rest of the code that goes below what I have here.

The code in red is missing from [Domain Private]
Fix this one first then work on the other later.

<u>Back to top</u></a>&nbsp;</li><li><a href="[Domain Private]/index.html" onclick="return FIX.track(this);">Return to [Domain Private] homepage</a>&nbsp;</li></ul>
<!-- start: shared_blocks.93248674#below-h1 -->

<div class="" style="width: 100%; box-sizing: border-box"></div>
<!-- end: shared_blocks.93248674#below-h1 -->

<!-- start: shared_blocks.93248669#below-paragraph-1 -->

<!-- end: shared_blocks.93248669#below-paragraph-1 -->
<!-- start: shared_blocks.93248668#above-socialize-it -->

<!-- end: shared_blocks.93248668#above-socialize-it -->
<!-- start: shared_blocks.93248656#socialize-it -->

<!-- end: shared_blocks.93248656#socialize-it -->
<!-- start: shared_blocks.93248665#below-socialize-it -->

<!-- end: shared_blocks.93248665#below-socialize-it -->
</div><!-- end Liner -->
</div><!-- end ContentColumn -->
</div><!-- end ContentWrapper -->

Joe
#1385525 by Debs from SiteSell
Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:47 pm
It looks like most of the noted code above is PageSpeed view. You should compare the source of 2 pages without PageSpeed.

Put the URL in your browser, then add this to it to turn off PageSpeed:

?ModPagespeed=off

Debs
#1385564 by Will from Los Ojos
Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:24 pm
Hi Susan,

Here's a low tech method for tracking down a high tech problem.

First, make a noindex nofollow clone of your [Domain Private] page.

Then go to the clone, and remove all the BlockBuilder blocks in the Side Column, so that the column is completely empty. Then build the page. Has the Footer returned? If yes, then the problem lies somewhere in the Side Column.

Then delete this clone. Go to the original page and make another cloned page. Remove the raw html Blocks. Build the page. If the Footer doesn't come back, the problem lies in the code that is left. If the Footer does come back, the problem lies in the code that was removed.

Repeat process.

Within 3 or 4 goes, you should have narrowed down the field to something manageable.

If the problem is in the Side Column, I would suspect the most likely place would be in the raw html blocks at the foot of the Column. It's unlikely to be a problem in the Text Blocks.

If the problem is not in the Side Column, then it could be in the main column.
Repeat the process.

Again, it's most likely in the raw HTML blocks.

Will

PS My money is on the FB like button :)
#1385618 by Susan from Mangawhai
Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:29 am
Many thanks Debs, Joe and Will. I have just found your responses, and am very grateful that you've taken the time to post. I will check as suggested and report back. Here's hoping - fingers crossed the problem will be solved. :)
#1385674 by Juri from plainlight.com
Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:23 pm

Hi Susan,

As Will indicated, there are quite a few problems with this piece of HTML around your "Recommend this site" Facebook plugin on both pages:

<p><div style="float:center;clear:center;margin:10px;"><table border="0" width="220" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" align="center"><b><font size="3"><font color="#639a97">Recommend this site:</font></font></b> <tr> <td>
<iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.write

-out-

loud.com&layout=standard&show_faces=true&width=220&action=like&font=verdana&colorsc

heme=light&height=80" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border:none;

overflow:hidden; width:220px; height:80px;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>
</td></tr></table</p></div>

I'd suggest using a Raw HTML block instead of a text block, with the following content:

Code: Select all<div style="float:center;clear:center;margin:10px;"><table border="0" width="220" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" align="center"><b><font size="3"><font color="#639a97">Recommend this site:</font></font></b> <tr> <td>
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.[Domain Private]&layout=standard&show_faces=true&width=220&action=like&font=verdana&colorscheme=light&height=80" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border:none; overflow:hidden; width:220px; height:80px;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>
</td></tr></table></div>

At least, it's a well-formed HTML.

Kind regards,
J.
#1386168 by Susan from Mangawhai
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:13 am
Thanks to all the folk who've suggested fixes.

Unfortunately what's causing the disappearance of the footer remains unsolved, as yet.

I used your test page suggestion Will and have figured the glitch is not in the sidebar, and in particular not in the FB code - thank you Juri for looking. Neither is it a missing div in the central column.

I have yet to build an entirely new test page - block by block - previewing each addition before adding the next. Hopefully that should show me where the problem is. I have been so busy this week that I haven't got to it. It's on this week's list. :)
#1386181 by Will from Los Ojos
Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:23 pm
Hi Susan,

It sounds like something isn't quite right. I'll have a more in depth look.

Will
#1386261 by Susan from Mangawhai
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:40 pm
Thank you Will. That would be most appreciated.

It appears to be something happening in the right column code on the pages affected. The thing they have in common when I view source on each of them is that an older version of the column code appears below the newer version, regardless of whether is it a column made specifically for the page content ( eg: funeral poems and speech writer pages) or not ( eg: the building rapport page).

view-source: [Domain Private]

On pages showing the footer the older version of the column code is not there.
Eg: view-source: [Domain Private]

Thank you once more,
Susan
Last edited by Debs from SiteSell on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Made URLs clickable for easier viewing.
#1386331 by Will from Los Ojos
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:27 am
Hi Susan,

Here's what's happening.

Your site was originally a 3 column site (left to right > NavColumn, ContentColumn and ExtraColumn).

https://web.archive.org/web/20140305071346/[Domain Private]

The redesign changed the site to a 2 columns site (left to right > ContentColumn & NavColumn).

The way to do this is to empty all the SW dots in the ExtraColumn, and then hide the column using CSS.

However, these 3 particular pages contain some code in the ExtraColumn that was not in SW dots.

99.99% of the time, this is not a problem. The column is hidden and the code doesn't show on the page. However in this particular case, the code contained HTML faults that will impact on the other columns, even if the code itself is not displayed.

Situation A

[Domain Private]
[Domain Private]

At the bottom of the hidden column is an HTML table that holds some Facebook Like Button code, just below the words "Recommend this site".

There is a missing "greater than" sign in a closing table tag in the ExtraColumn. It's a very small thing, and difficult to spot, but if you search the source code for </table< you'll find it.

This is enough to throw the page out and stop the Footer displaying, even though the code itself is hidden.

Here's what the fault looks like.

Situation B

[Domain Private]

This ExtraColumn has a different code fault in which the div code and table code are in the wrong positions. Again, this causes a break in the Space/Time continuum that stops the Footer displaying.

The ExtraColumn of all 3 of these pages also contains an HTTP reference that conflicts with HTTPS.

One solution is to copy/paste the content onto a New BlockBuilder page, and over write the old one. This is probably the simplest solution. Another solution is to make the ExtraColumn temporarily visible again, remove the old code by hand, and then hide the ExtraColumn again.

On balance, I think it's more bullet proof just to make a new page. This will also get rid of the HTTPS conflicts.

Will

PS I ran the site through the HTTPS Checker and 4 pages showed up as a problem. Three of them were the above pages. The fourth is
[Domain Private]/fightorflightresponse.html

There is an image on the page that is causing a Mixed Content problem.
http://www.panicaway.com/images/banners/125x125.gif

If it's not available in HTTPS, then you can copy the image to your Image Library, and use the ImageBlock to place it on the page. As it will be one of your images, it will be HTTPS automatically.
#1386480 by Susan from Mangawhai
Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:01 pm
Thank you very much Will. So it's my bumbling code errors made years ago coming back to haunt me!
I will do as you say - rebuild the pages.

Thanks too for running the site through the https checker, and for the solution for turning the image from http to https. Again hugely appreciated.

These things seem so little and yet they're not!
#1386536 by Leslie from Swan River
Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:34 pm
I've read through this thread and it just shouts how amazing our community is here. Juri and Joseph gave super thoughts to possible solutions and then Will. OMG. Will you are an absolute treasure.

Cheers