Share and discuss Solo Build It!'s BlockBuilder 2 strategies and tips. Get help using BlockBuilder. If you're converting pages from the old BlockBuilder, find tips to make the switch easier.

Moderators: A J from Somewhere Hot, Laura from Chautauqua

#1387759 by Gary from Salinas
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:43 pm

Hi, I used the article on SBI breadcrumbs for my website and I agree it looks awesome. I had one question for my home page. I went with the attached code and all it displays is HOME. I see on other sites where the breadcrumb reads:

HOME --> Activities

--> Activites is just plain text. It isn't clickable like HOME. I think having some plain text... and not just HOME... would be better. Does anyone have code to offer which would append some plain text after my HOME breadcrumb?

Code: Select all<ol itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/BreadcrumbList" style="list-style-type:none;">
<li itemprop="itemListElement" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/ListItem" style="display:inline;margin-left:-40px;">
<a itemprop="item" href="[Domain Private]/">
<span itemprop="name">Home</span></a>
<meta itemprop="position" content="1">
</li>
</ol>
#1387763 by Jeff from dogquotations.com
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:21 pm
Hi Gary. The home page doesn't need a crumb, since there's nowhere higher to go. Sites that have one on the home page are usually WP sites that have it in the code, which is for all the pages.
#1387765 by Dee from Cape Cod
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:54 pm

Hi Gary -

Gary from Salinas wrote:I see on other sites where the breadcrumb reads:

HOME --> Activities

I expect that the page where you see that breadcrumb trail is an "Activities" page. In that set of breadcrumbs, HOME would be a clickable link to the site's home page, and the word "Activities" would not be clickable because it's showing that you're on the "Activities" page.

Which brings me to ...

I visited your site and looked at the breadcrumb trails on your T2s. As you have them now, you have two clickable links in your T2 breadcrumb trails. One link will take the visitor back to your Home page (that's good), and the other link will take your visitor to the page he/she is already on (not necessary and not advised). Just undo the "click-ability" on the second one and you'll be good to go. :D

When you get to creating breadcrumbs for T3s, then the first two items in the breadcrumb trail will be clickable, and the third won't.

Here's an example of a breadcrumb trail for a hypothetical T3 page "Best Hiking Boots for Kids", under your "Hiking Essentials" T2:

Home > Hiking Essentials > Best Hiking Boots for Kids

The bold and underlined ones will be clickable links, taking the visitor back "up" through the tiers. The third is simply to show visitors what page they're currently on.

I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Dee
#1387767 by Jeff from dogquotations.com
Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:00 pm
Regarding the current page having a link, that's the new standard schema setup. The older one, which is still in use, doesn't have the current page as a link.
#1387787 by Dee from Cape Cod
Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:19 pm
Hi Jeff -

Thanks so much for letting me know! I wasn't aware of the new set up (obviously :oops: ).

I wonder why the new standard would include a link to the current page. It seems unnecessary - and perhaps confusing - from a user standpoint. Hmmmm. :?

Hi Gary - Sorry for the bum steer!

Best Regards,

Dee
#1387792 by Dee from Cape Cod
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:24 am
Hi again, Jeff -

No need to enlighten me about the "why" of having a link to the current page. Mary was kind enough to send me a link to the TnT article where it's explained in an "Editor's Note".

http://sbitips.sitesell.com/breadcrumb-navigation.html

Just out of curiosity, though ... do you happen to know approximately when the new schema code (the one that's in the TnT article) became the standard? I know I read that TnT article back in the olden days when I was considering adding breadcrumbs to my site. And I thought for sure I had gotten my code from that article.

Of course, I could be wrong about that. I know for sure that I got my breadcrumb code from some SBI source. (I don't know enough to come up with it on my own! :roll: ) Perhaps I got it from someone's forum post.

Anyway, I'm now scratching my head, wondering where the heck my code came from and why it's entirely different from the one in the TnT article.

Ahh, the mystery of it all ... :lol::lol::lol:

Because my code is apparently pretty old and so different from the current standard, I'm also wondering if it's worth taking the time to replace my existing breadcrumbs. Would there be a benefit to doing that, do you think?

Best Regards,

Dee
#1387850 by Karen from Mackey
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:17 pm
Hi Dee,
I pretty sure that you got the old code from SBI. I have been using breadcrumbs since 2015 and pretty much only trust SBI sources. I have a note in my files about a new code that is dated June of 2017. I think that I heard about the change from someone in the forums, but I don't remember who.
#1387868 by Dee from Cape Cod
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:29 am
Hi Karen -

Thanks for your reply!

Although I'm heartened to know that my code wasn't pulled from thin air, I'm bummed that I somehow missed the posts about an updated code. :?

Too much to keep up with these days, and too little time in the day to do it all. :roll:

Best Regards,

Dee
#1387890 by Jeff from dogquotations.com
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:22 pm
Dee, the article when first published used the old code, because that's all there was. It was from data-vocabulary.org. Since then, schema.org created one, which is the current one in the article. I think the article was updated to reflect that earlier this year, as Karen mentioned.

Either one works fine, so there's no need to change them. You just can't mix and match in one crumb. On separate pages, yes, but not in the same crumb.