By the time mobile (smartphone) growth stabilizes, mobile will drive 40%-50%+ of your visitors! This is a tremendous opportunity to build a strong NEW stream of traffic. To maximize that, present a high-quality, highly usable "mobile" version of your site. Optimize for other mobile-specific issues. This forum discusses all that and, more generally, how to maximize this opportunity to grow your e-business income. Oh yes - tablets covered, too.

Moderator: A J from Somewhere Hot

#1358976 by Kate from Conception Junction
Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:59 pm
OK....I got a report about my site...everything is up in the 90s except
Mobile speed which is only 87.

Google offers suggestions for mobile.
1.Avoid plugins,
2Configure the viewport,
3Size content to viewport,
4Size tap targets appropriately
5See how to size tap targets appropriately »
6 Use legible font sizes

I do not know what 2 and 3 mean -so have I no clue how to fix them. I want to fix this since it seems mobile is the future. Can anyone help me out, enlighten me so I can revise the site? Thanks.
Kate
Last edited by Deb from barkinista.com on Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Moved from The Search Engines to here.
#1358981 by Douglas from Planet Earth
Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:36 pm
Hi Kate,

I don't know what they mean either but I won't get too concerned. I just checked mine (hadn't looked for a long time) and I had 90 for desktop and 84 for mobile with a 99 user experience. I'm quite happy with that and plan on spending zero time trying to "fix" anything.

I remember being in a "fix it" mode for far too long quite some time ago as I like getting 100% in everything I do. I'm much more laid back now. :roll: My wife doesn't agree. :?

Cheers,

Nutbar Doug C.
#1359009 by Jacki from Macleod
Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:40 pm
Kate, are you using a responsive template? I remember getting similar notifications, but after switching over my sites, that all went away.
#1364925 by Kate from Conception Junction
Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:56 pm
Thanks Jack. One site uses SBI template....the other does not. (Had it redeisnged a couple years ago to improve look and ranking. But I do not know what 'responsive template' means. Yes, technology is getting ahead of me.
Kate
#1365478 by Kevin from Pointe Aux Pins
Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:50 pm
Kate...

If you are using BB2 then do not worry about those Google messages, your site is using Mobilze-It!. :D

Most of the messages (viewport, etc.) are for webmasters using Upload Your Own HTML. We do not have Mobilze-It! As a result we create mobile pages separately from our desktop pages. It's like having 2 sites, 1 for desktop and another for mobile. Google has HTML requirements to tell them (Google) which is the desktop page and that a particular mobile page is for a particular desktop page. The HTML code is part of the <HEAD> section of the pages.

As for the Plug-In messages, it is more of a warning instead of an error message. Some Plug-Ins that work on desktop might not function correctly on a mobile device. You can always check to see that mobile pages are working by viewing/using them on a mobile device...If everything is looking and working OK then no worry.

Kevin
#1365487 by Debs from SiteSell
Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:58 pm
Hi Kate

Site Designer carries Mobilize It! ready templates as well as responsive. However, while the templates are ready for Mobilize It!, you still have to turn Mobilize It! on for them.

Please go into Site Designer, upper left, next to the Site Designer Gallery button is an "info" button. It tells you what template structure you are using and whether it is responsive. If it is, great. If not, then go into Mobilize It! and see if it is on or not. Do not turn it on if you are using a responsive structure. If your site is not responsive, you should go through the steps in the Help ? Icons on setting it up.

Just found out; if you search on the Site Central page for "mobilize" (CTRL F) and get 0 results; you are using a responsive structure for your site. If you get a result, then you are in a Mobilize It! ready structure.

Debs