By the time mobile (smartphone) growth stabilizes, mobile will drive 40%-50%+ of your visitors! This is a tremendous opportunity to build a strong NEW stream of traffic. To maximize that, present a high-quality, highly usable "mobile" version of your site. Optimize for other mobile-specific issues. This forum discusses all that and, more generally, how to maximize this opportunity to grow your e-business income. Oh yes - tablets covered, too.

Moderator: A J from Somewhere Hot

#1378143 by Scott from Florida
Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:05 am
Okay, I am using a responsive template for a new website I am creating. I actually have 2 related questions.

1. I create my pages in the Desktop mode, of course. Then, when I want to see what the completed page looks like on mobile phone, I choose one at the top where it says "Device", I choose iPhone 6. It then shows my page in a narrow phone-like case, but it just shows my BB2 Blockbuilder Blocks all lined up (not the finished page). If I click on "Preview" still with iPhone 6 selected, no change. I never get to see what the finished page looks like in mobile, just my "blocks" all nicely lined up. Am I expecting to see something that BlockBuilder doesn't have the capability to show?

[Note: We have another SBI site that is NOT responsive but has Mobilize it enabled, and the same thing happens.... shows what your Building Blocks look like on iPhone, but not the finished page]

Am I missing something?

2. Back to the responsive design website. I have embedded a YouTube video on one of my new pages. Looks great when I preview in "Desktop". Yet due to the situation in #1 above, I have no way to see if the YouTube video will show properly on a mobile phone.

I am concerned, because the YT vid embed link specifies a screen size. Here is the code:

<center><iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-ZKiJejNRtw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></center>

[I bolded the part I am concerned about, width 560. Will this play on a mobile screen?]
#1378189 by Will from Los Ojos
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:38 pm
Hi Scott,

Create your page as usual in the BlockBuilder. Press the Preview button, and a new tab opens next to the Build page. Switch to the tab with the Preview on it.

Then, if you're using Firefox, go to Tools > Web Developer > Responsive Design Mode

Your page will change to a mobile view.

You can select various phones via the drop down.

In Chrome, the easiest way is to pull the Preview tab away from the main window, so that it is in a new window. Then shrink the window down so that it is phone sized. The responsive design will kick in and change the layout to a single column phone layout.

Here is a small Chrome window sitting on my blue desktop.

Every time you press Preview, the window should give you the mobile view.

Will
#1378215 by Scott from Florida
Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:32 pm
Will, thanks so much for your help. I was able to get a mobile preview on Firefox following your instructions; However, in Google Chrome, I was unable to "Pull the Preview Tab away from the main window".

I am sorry, but I really don't follow what you are saying there. I tried to grab and drag the preview tab all over the place, up, down, to the side, but it would not move.

Can you describe more specifically what you did? I prefer Google Chrome to Firefox. But I think I remember reading somewhere that SBI recommends Firefox while working on your SBI website. Can you confirm that?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.
#1378234 by Will from Los Ojos
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:14 pm
Scott,

Move the mouse over the Preview tab (PC instructions). Then, press the left button on your mouse and hold it down. Then drag still holding down the left button.

I used Jing to make a small quick video to show you how to do it. It uses Flash, so if you've got a Mac, it won't work. Sorry. But if you're using a PC it should be fine.

https://www.screencast.com/t/BTfIOCONg

Will