By the time mobile (smartphone) growth stabilizes, mobile will drive 40%-50%+ of your visitors! This is a tremendous opportunity to build a strong NEW stream of traffic. To maximize that, present a high-quality, highly usable "mobile" version of your site. Optimize for other mobile-specific issues. This forum discusses all that and, more generally, how to maximize this opportunity to grow your e-business income. Oh yes - tablets covered, too.

Moderator: A J from Somewhere Hot

#1388162 by Will from Los Ojos
Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:06 pm
I posted a way of doing this a year or two ago, but it's become much, much easier to do since then.

You can use either of the 2 main browsers, Firefox or Chrome. These instructions are only for responsive sites, not Mobilize It sites.

1. In Firefox, open a page showing your site.

Then go to

Tools > Web Developer > Responsive Design Mode

The display on the page changes like this. In the little bar at the top of the image, (it's very little) are 2 arrows for a drop down menu.

When you open it, you can select from a number of devices. The footprint of your site will change to that of the device you've chosen. The columns will reflow, and you'll see what it looks like on a smartphone or tablet.

Firefox Add-Ons also has a number of extensions, but none of them are compatible with the latest version of Firefox Quantum, at the moment. I'm sure they'll catch up eventually.

2. In Chrome.

The easiest way to do this is to load a Chrome extension This is something you add to your browser, and it appears as a button on your toolbar. You press the button, and a list of devices opens up. You choose the device you want, portrait or landscape and a second window opens showing you what your site looks like on that phone.

First, you have to install the extension.

Go to this address on the Chrome Webstore.

Press "Add to Chrome" in the top right corner.

The extension will install in your browser and a small icon will appear to the right of the URL bar. This is the icon.

When you press the icon, a window will open up with a list of devices. The first one is for the iPhone 6.

Press either the portrait icon or landscape symbol on the right hand side, and a second window opens up that is the right size for an iPhone 6.

You can drag that window around your screen to where you want it. You can press the menu button on your site, or move from page to page to see what everything looks like on a phone. You can check how the responsive grids are behaving, and what the images look like.

In real life, the AddThis buttons are slightly higher up the screen, but otherwise this is a good substitute if you don't have a phone of your own. You can also choose iPad or one of the Samsung tablets to see what your site looks like on tablets.

#1388249 by Scott from
Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:38 am
Thanks Will...

I've got Firefox and Chrome (see Debs... I'm also a little deversified! :wink: ).

Just barely had time to read your post Will... I'll give it a shot when I get some sleep and let you know.

Guess you know your images aren't loading.

Support told me a while back that all you need to do is minimize your screen then "drag" the "arrows" to make the browser bigger or smaller. You can make it the same size of any mobile device you want to duplicate. I just don't know the sizes but works like a charm!

Please try it and let us know... thanks :) .

Bed time.

Nimble and Scott.
#1388285 by Will from Los Ojos
Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:35 pm
Scott from wrote:Guess you know your images aren't loading.

Yes, it's happened before. Something breaks with the forum code.

There's no problem with the images. Here's one repeated again - it's still live.

What seems to have happened is that the images were OK for a while. I saw them, Debs saw them when she posted, Mike saw them etc.

But at some point, the System decided not to show them, just on that one post.

I'm trying not to take it personally :)

I could repeat the post again, but that seems overkill. I'll see if I can get it fixed.

Mike from Isleta wrote:That Chrome extension really is brilliant. It also works while you're previewing a page so now I check everything on several devices. I've also got a few hobby sites on WordPress and use it for those too, so thanks again!

It gets over that common hurdle, which is that very few people look at their site on a phone. I look at a lot of site statistics and, for big sites, desktop viewers are now in a minority of about 3 to 1.

AJ was always making this point as well.

Basically, if you only look at your site on your laptop, most of your audience is looking at it on something else. The desktop design is not irrelevant, by any means, but it's a minority of people that see it.

#1392454 by Scott from
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:34 am

I only first saw your reply now.. accidently by scanning through the threads :? .

Thanks for your advice... I'm viewing my site now through the different mobile devices thanks to you.

I see I've got a lot of work to do.

Either way... tell me if I'm wrong... it seems to me that no matter how hard I try... I'll never make my site perfectly presentable for all devices. There's gon'na be some give and take... here and there?

Hope all is well...

Nimble & Scott.
#1392483 by Will from Los Ojos
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:31 pm
Scott from wrote:
Either way... tell me if I'm wrong... it seems to me that no matter how hard I try... I'll never make my site perfectly presentable for all devices. There's gon'na be some give and take... here and there?

Hope all is well...

Nimble & Scott.

Hi Scott,

Sounds like you have a page that isn't looking right. Wanna share the URL?

#1392489 by Scott from
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:52 pm
Thanks Debs and Will...

Will... I need to spend more time tweeking and then I'll let you know. Thanks.

Also... I need to do something with my Sharing Bar (in some devices it's huge and located right above my content column in smaller devices). It's small and out of the way on the right side of my extra column when viewed on my laptop).

Also... I need to move my Search Bar (maybe into the header?). Otherwise... it's not visible on the smaller devices.

If you have any suggestions great! I'm off to work now.. I'll get back here this evening.

Thanks again for your offer...

Nimble & Scott.