Announcements about Solo Build it!, SBI! for WP, WordPress, and other related news and announcements are posted here. You can either follow the news here, in Site Central, via the SBIX newsletter or in your WordPress dashboard (if using SBI! for WordPress).

Moderator: Debs from SiteSell

#1368487 by ken-admin
Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:36 pm
Hi all,

Today is the day when you get to reward folks who help you in the forums.

Due to popular demand, coming now to a computer (or mobile device) near you, we have launched the BAM voting button, along with some pretty useful features.

For example, you'll be able to drill down to the best answer in a 20-page thread!

Head to any thread in the forums. You'll see a button at the top of it, and at the top of each post in a thread.

A few forums don't use this feature. If you don't see the BAM button in the threads there, then voting is not available in that forum.

BTW, guests will not see the BAM voting button. They will, though, be able to see the best answer in a thread, and also the Tortoise winners (which I discuss below).

Here's what the BAM button looks like, nestled in between the Options (gear icon) and Quote (bubble icon) buttons. (Enlarged)

When you read someone's reply to a post (or even the original post itself) and think it's outstanding, click on that BAM button and your vote will be recorded. Also...

The button will change. You'll now see a checkmark on the image. This indicates that you have voted for this post. (Enlarged)

Try voting again for that same post. You can't. Nor can you unvote. Once you've voted, you've voted.

You can change your vote. Suppose you find a better answer. Simply click on the BAM button for that other post to change your vote to it. That button will now have the checkmark.

BTW, the only person you can't vote for is... you! You won't see the BAM button on any post you make. Yes, I know you'd never do that 😇 ...

But now there's no temptation!

Identifying the Best Answer

When you vote, you're choosing your favorite. But it's the "wisdom of crowds" that ultimately sorts out the best answers.

The first vote for a post is an indication that someone liked it. That post, though, needs a second vote to corroborate the first choice. At that point, it's eligible to become the best answer in the thread.

I'll repeat this since it's an important point...

A post may only become a best answer when it has 2 votes. If 5 posts in the thread each have just 1 vote each, then there is no best answer. Yet.

Visit the thread again in an hour or two and you'll probably see a best answer when more folks have voted.

How does a post become the best answer in a thread? Of all the posts that are eligible (i.e., each one has 2 votes), the one with the most votes wins!

When there is a single best answer (i.e., at least 1 post received 2 or more votes), you'll see a gray banner just below the post that started the thread. It will have a link to take you directly to the best answer, even if it's on page 10 or page 23 of a thread...

If you happen to miss that banner and start scrolling through the replies, you'll come across the best answer. You'll know it because it will have a large BAM image along with the words "Voted Best Answer!" (on an orange background, so it's hard to miss!)...

"Single" Best?

You may have noticed that I said "single best answer" above. That's because two or even three replies may receive the same number of votes. If that happens, you'll see a different banner just below the first post...

It will have the orange icon and will say "There is a tie for Best Answer. Please vote so that we can show you the best one."

What's With the Medal in the Mini Profile on the Right?

An excellent question! 😀😀

The medal indicates that this SBIer has been awarded at least one best answer. And just to the right of the medal is a number that indicates how many best answers the SBIer has received.

The more medals, the better the SBIer is at helping folks!

And What About That Tortoise at the Top of the Page?🐢

In one week, and every week thereafter, you'll see a Tortoise Of The Week award at the top of every page of the forums. This tortoise is awarded to the SBIer who gave you the most best answers during the previous week.

On May 1, you'll also see a Tortoise Of The Month award for April. On the first of each month, we'll award it to the person with the most best answers in the previous month.

Here's an example of what the Tortoise Of The Month award will look like...

The link will take you to all of that winner's posts.

Can I Make a Request?

We had a lot of fun doing v1 of this new feature. Everyone loves recognition. Now you can recognize folks who are helpful.

And, without stealing our own thunder, we have a little surprise planned, one each month for the SBIer who is voted "Tortoise of the Month."

Help Elf is going to "hide" what the surprise is, burying it in the forums somewhere. We're trying to figure out where to hide it, just in case you're curious about what the prize of the month is. 🏆 (No, it won't be an emoji!)

Here's the only hint re the monthly location...

Each month's hidden message will be findable without having to scan every single post in the entire history of the forums (over 1,000,000 of them!). ;-)A clever search or a simple hunch should enable you to discover what the prize is,

If you find it, go ahead an announce it!

ADDENDUM: HE has made and hiddent the prize announcement. Please see post about that...

A Final Note

This is not necessarily the final version of this fun and useful feature. We'll see how it shakes out for a bit. Obviously, all threads start at zero, so it's going to take some time before threads show you winning answers.

Still, we're all ears if you have ideas for useful features or changes. For example, depending on how many people use it (and we hope you do repay the generosity of others by registering a vote for them), we may increase the "eligibility level" to 3 votes and name the best two replies instead of just one.

It's going to evolve. So...

If you'd like to see additional functionality added to the Best Answer feature, please start a wish (or add your voice to an existing wish) in the Wish List forum...

And Pretty-Please... Let Us Know What You Think!

We want your feedback. Let us know how you like it, right here in this thread.

And if anything doesn't work the way you think it should, or the way I described above, please contact Support...

Please remember that not every forum has voting. If you don't see the BAM button in any thread in a particular forum, that's one where there's no voting.

Check out the forums and start voting today! ✔️

May the best (wo)man win and may the best answer help all! 😀

All the best,

P.S. One final note... SiteSell employees with special usernames (such as "H.E" or "ken-admin," and others) are not eligible.

Some SiteSellers and family members do SBI! seriously. Our own internal rules prohibit them from acting as SiteSell in these Forums - they comment on their own personal time and purely in the capacity of SBIers. In other words, they act as would any "non-SiteSeller" SBI! member.

For that reason, I'm inclined to let them be eligible for Tortoise of the Month, since we're not talking about $100,000 prizes here (sorry 🤑 ). This is all in good fun - adds a little motivation (prize values will vary from $100 to $300) to the monthly recognition.

There's no way we can favor them in the counting and they aren't paid to post as part of their SiteSell duties. That said, you may not see it the same way as I do. If so, post below that you would prefer if we excude "SBIer-SiteSellers."

P.P.S. from Help Elf: This award for April (announced on May 1) will be a 6-month extension to the winner's SBI! subscription.
#1368494 by Elly from
Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:23 pm
Hi Ken,

I was checking the unanswered posts (little time to do much else at the mo until after the regatta and a whole range of visits and visitors).

Yours was the only unanswered post! So, hereby.

You (and the team of course) have worked it all out again in detail! I can't wait to see how it's going to work.

#1368496 by Debs from SiteSell
Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:41 pm
Elly, go visit some threads and see if you can find a post to vote on. You can vote anywhere as much as you like, but only once in each thread.

Don't expect too much at first, but when others visit and vote, then things will start happening ;)

#1368498 by Cath, SiteSell Content Team
Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:05 pm
Look! Look!

I got toytoyse of the month, without even trying!
ken-admin wrote:
Here's an example of what the Tortoise Of The Month award will look like...

Thank you Ken and Help Elf and everyone else who's made this possible. Let's have some fun with it!

#1368508 by Marylyn from
Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:46 am
Well done Cath

And echoing Jacki's statement ...

Well, doesn't that make it fun? :D

#1368514 by Susan from Nolan
Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:38 am
Wow! As a frequent searcher-through-forums, I'm looking forward to Forums-on-Speed-Dial! where I'll find the info I need quicker than ever. Fun and fruitful. :D
#1368527 by Donna from Rocky Mountains
Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:57 am

Can anyone tell me where the "Subscribe to this thread..." option went? It disappeared a while ago (used to be at the bottom of the page). It was really helpful in being able to follow a conversation in a thread I had posted on.
#1368530 by Elly from
Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:00 am
Ah, misunderstanding, Debs. I meant - I'm interested to see the effect of the fun and how the forums work overall. I did understand Ken's notes. :-)

#1368541 by ken-admin
Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:30 pm
Hi to all,

Two quickie notes...

1) Please see the P.S. in my first post, up top. It excludes SiteSellers (those who are identified as such in these forums - e.g., "ken-admin," "HE," "SMELF," etc.), along with some details for SiteSellers who are also SBIers on their own personal time.

2) Help Elf has now hidden the secret message that reveals the prize, burying it in the forums somewhere. He chose a clever spot. It's a good way to challenge your search skills or play a hunch.

It's kind of like SBI! itself -- no need to scan over 1,000,000 posts in these forums to find his hidden announcement of this month's prize. Use a clever search or play a simple hunch to discover what the prize is. (H.E. will drop a hint if no one can find that announcement in a day or 2, but I don't think that's going to be necessary for this one. :-) )

Go ahead and take the "HE Challenge." If you do find that statement, post what the prize is, and where you found the hidden statement. :-)

All the best,

P.S. We've got a little pool going here in SiteSell, guessing who'll find it first. I can't name "my" SBIer, but I'd like to ask her now not to let me down. ;-)
#1368543 by Laura from Chautauqua
Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:03 pm
Hidden text in the original post...

"P.P.S. from Help Elf: This award for April (announced on May 1) will be a 6-month extension to the winner's SBI! subscription."

How I found it... I did a Quick Search for "may hidden prize". Ended up here...

You will see "May" highlighted at the end of the post all by itself. :-)

So I took my mouse pointer and highlighted all around it to see the hidden message.

Last edited by Laura from Chautauqua on Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#1368546 by Cat from
Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:08 pm
What a great way to support our forum friends and reward those who go the extra mile to help us out . . . I love sharing the "love". Thanks Ken and everyone for making this possible.!
#1368571 by Mary from Mico
Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:59 pm

Hey. That's neat Laura.

P.P.S. from Help Elf: This award for April (announced on May 1) will be a 6-month extension to the winner's SBI! subscription.

Thank you for explaining or I'd not ever been able to find it at the bottom of Ken's post. Does this mean that the search function is now improved, too? Awesome, if so!