Announcements about Solo Build it!, SBI! for WP, WordPress, and other related news and announcements are posted here. You can either follow the news here, in Site Central, via the SBIX newsletter or in your WordPress dashboard (if using SBI! for WordPress).

Moderator: Debs from SiteSell

#1371419 by Juri from
Thu May 18, 2017 11:00 am
Hello everybody,

I'm on my way back home after a mostly Internet-free holiday, and catching up with Forums posts.

Re: DDG results. I found out the best matches are delivered with "literal" searches, i.e., those with quotes in them (ex., "compression socks" instead of compression socks). This actually applies to single-word queries as well. So I add the quotes with JavaScript to what visitors type in. (You are welcome to try it on my site.)

If I get some time, I'll try to post instructions on implementing your own search form, or create a page generating ready-to-paste code for custom forms.

Kind regards,
#1372299 by Juri from
Sat May 27, 2017 8:51 pm
Juri from wrote:If I get some time, I'll try to post instructions on implementing your own search form, or create a page generating ready-to-paste code for custom forms.

It's done. The page is online, though not properly linked yet:

I would really like you to try it out and tell what you think. The page is meant to create a ready-to-use widget which can also be configured to search with Google, among other things.

So, is it of any use at all?

Kind regards,
#1372512 by Gerhild from Just like Oma
Tue May 30, 2017 7:52 pm

To follow up on my previous post

After going through the TNT article, I've decided to work with FreeFind ... and make it look like it's part of my site. The cost is actually less than I paid for the ad-free Google search bar on my page.

I've had the time to get it up onto my site.

Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 2.42.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 2.42.15 PM.png (231.33 KiB) Viewed 576 times

I plan on having the search result page HTML coded and uploaded to match my site totally, but for now, using FreeFind's customizing, I have my logo there (which is clickable) and the language changed to German (a great feature).

Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 2.34.16 PM.png
"Suchergerbnisse von dieser Seite" = "Search results from this page"
"Zurück zu Gottes Wort" = "Back to God's Word"

Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 2.34.16 PM.png (97.33 KiB) Viewed 576 times

If you want to check it out, go to [Domain Private]/ and try the following German word: glaube or your own :)

It's at the top of the right column. This, too, I'll be having coded to go to the top of my header, but for now ... I'm happy. There are no ads showing up, which is important for this site.

#1372587 by Mary from Mico
Wed May 31, 2017 4:13 pm

I've had a chance to read your page (we had a very family oriented Memorial Day weekend, so my apologies for not responding sooner). It looks super useful! That's neat that you made a code generator for various options.

I'm leaving it up to give it a try later this week.

Gerhild and HE, I'm also leaving up the TNT article to study Free Find.

Thank you all.

#1377103 by Gerhild from Just like Oma
Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:33 pm

I mentioned earlier that I was going to have my FreeFind search bar/results page properly coded to match my site.
I had SBI! Pro, Mike Fulson, (yes, my son :) ) tackle it, and here are the results.

He embedded the search bar in my header in the top right corner:

website-search-bar.jpg (208.19 KiB) Viewed 402 times

Then, he coded the Search Results page to match my site:
Search-results-top.jpg (115.98 KiB) Viewed 402 times

You'll notice a difference in the headers on both pages. That's because the photo header on the website changes seasonally. The Search Results page is a HTML template that's uploaded to FreeFind. In order that I wouldn't need to change it seasonally, I decided to put a minimal header on the search result page. Likewise, I had Mike remove several of the nav bar items to make updating my site easier for me.

If one had a header/logo that didn't change frequently, then the Search Results page would match perfectly. Likewise with the nav bar. That can all be made to be identical to one's own site. My site is still in the building/transitioning stage, so I only had Mike include items on the Search Results page that would be constant. Once I have my site the way 'I want it', I'll have him recode the HTML template to reflect that.

Want to try the search? Go to [Domain Private]/ and search for liebe or glauben or your own word. You'll notice that the search results page is a FreeFind URL. However, there's no link anywhere on the page that will take you to FreeFind. Clicking the back arrow, the logo, the return link, etc., will all take you right back to my site.

All-in-all, I'm very happy with the results. Mike was able to convert it to German, a HUGE plus for me. The FreeFind plan I'm using is the Personal one ... and at only $5/month, it's less than the $100 I paid to Google for their Ad-Free search.

So, if you're still looking for an Ad-Free search (since Google's is now no longer available), do take a look at FreeFind.