Announcements about Solo Build it!, SBI! for WP, WordPress, and other related news and announcements are posted here. You can either follow the news here, in Site Central, via the SBIX newsletter or in your WordPress dashboard (if using SBI! for WordPress).

Moderator: Debs from SiteSell

#1370082 by Scott from
Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:02 am

It worked this time! The search results are correct. :)

The color won't change for me though... I don't know what the deal is. If you look at my site's search box, you'll see the green. Under "Search Our Site" you'll see a long rusty looking brown color which is actually the bottom border. That's the color I selected but it's in the wrong "place." :?

Also, I tried to make the box heigth shorter... I changed the html code from 40px to 30px but that just chops off the bottom of the box.

This is the code...Our Site&bgcolor=CC6600" style="overflow:hidden;margin:0;padding:0;width:178px;height:40px;" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I would like the box more subtle... I tried to contact DDG but it won't connect.

I found a Help Center so I'll read through it and see if Ican figure out the color thing... maybe something with my computer?

Thanks... Scott & Nimble.
#1370094 by Juri from
Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:52 am

Hi Scott,

Unfortunately, you cannot modify the button since it actually sits inside a page on the DDG server. The iframe tag used in the code snippet lets this page appear on your own, but prevents you from modifying it.

The inability to modify stems from different protocols on SBI sites and the DDG server. The latter uses HTTPS.
So, what can you do? First, I would change the bgcolor attribute. It doesn't style the button, but the background behind the iframe, hence the rusty underline below the search box on your site. The setting to use for your site is FFFFEE, the background colour of your NavColumn.

And then, if you really need another look-and-feel -- which I can understand --, you'll need your own coding to achieve that. Meaning, instead of the iframe, you'll need a text input and a button of your own, which you'll be able to style at wish. The search query will still be sent to the DDG server, and the SERP will look the same.

You actually will be able to affect its look-and-feel, too, to an extent.
I did it for my site, and I could do it for yours as well, just with some time on my hands, perhaps next week.

Kind regards,
This is how your button might look like.
search_dropdown_homepage.png (2.77 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
#1370139 by Mary from
Mon May 01, 2017 8:36 am
Ken, thank your for this information. I can't believe I have gone this long without a site search box. I have it now!

Thank you Juri for telling us about DDG and your help!

Thank you Claude for the DDG search link! I went to your and Juri's site to check it out first and couldn't think of a single thing in you niche to search. But, your site sure looks nice. And Juri's site, I had plenty to search for there. I'll be visiting you again, Juri! :)

I put the search box on my site in a sitewide dot, did some searching of my site and am elated with the results. There were so many results returned, I didn't need a new window. Boy, I love Sitesell forums. :D

#1370168 by Scott from
Mon May 01, 2017 4:51 pm

Thanks for the offer... sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday... two 18 hour shifts.

I'll be here working on my site for the next two days...

Ok.. this is what I decided... I'll just leave the search box as is for now except for that rusty horizontal line at the bottom of the search box.

Yes, the background color is set at FFFFEE right now in Sitedesigner.

Where do I change the background color attribute? Probably on the DDG site? I'll give it a shot tonight.

Also, I really like the examples you sent me... thanks for taking your time to do that... I know you are busy.

The reason I said I'll wait to change the search box is because I would like to learn how to do it myself... but I know it will take time and I'm working on other more top priorioty stuff. By doing it myselt will help me w/other SBI functions. But, you'll kin'da have to coach me if that's ok. :wink:

I'll let you know when that time comes. Or, I may wake up tomorrow and decide to just let you do it. Nimble never knows about me (Poor dog).

Thanks J... I'll see if I can get rid of that rusty line tonight.

Scott & Nimble.
#1370181 by Mary from
Mon May 01, 2017 7:54 pm
Yes Scott, that is exactly where you set your background color. Personally, I like the way your have it set up, except your bottom line that you said you would remove. Great job!

#1370184 by Juri from
Mon May 01, 2017 8:27 pm

Hi Scott,

Scott from wrote:Where do I change the background color attribute?

Just use the following as your search box code:

Code: Select all<iframe src=";;prefill=Search Our Site&amp;bgcolor=FFFFEE" style="overflow:hidden;margin:0;padding:0;width:178px;height:40px;" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I simply replaced CC6600 with FFFFEE for bgcolor here.
Kind regards,
#1370561 by Isabelle from Penney Farms
Sat May 06, 2017 10:09 pm
Marie from Lutana wrote:Thanks for this Juri!
I have wanted a search facility for a while. It's not perfect but better than nothing I think.
Thanks again

Same situation for me. I was able to add this search function on my website too. Many Thanks.
#1371140 by Gerhild from Just like Oma
Mon May 15, 2017 4:42 pm
Thanks, Ken, for this post.

After going through the TNT article, I've decided to work with FreeFind ... and make it look like it's part of my site. The cost is actually less than I paid for the ad-free Google search bar on my page. Google is now showing ads on it :( ... and they made the change without letting me know. Thanks to the forums here, I was made aware to check it out!

I'll post back here once it's done. It will take a bit of coding to make it work the way I want ... but it's totally doable.

#1371303 by Nicole from Honeydew
Wed May 17, 2017 2:31 pm
I have been playing around with DDG and it looks promising. The big downside that I noticed was the search results. For instance I searched for "compression socks" on my running website and it came back with lots of pages on my site which I know are not about compression socks. What was happening was that I had recently updated my page on "compression socks" and so it was in the right hand column of all my pages as that is where I link to recently updated pages. This meant that DDG thought that "compression socks" was in every single page and thus listed it in the results. Is there are way round this?
#1371381 by Claude from
Wed May 17, 2017 11:31 pm

More on DuckDuckGo search box.

I did some more research because I was annoyed with DDG replacing my web site's page with its results page.

I was also annoyed by its apparent inability to list the most pertinent page at the top of the list for many of the keywords I tried. Here are the improvements that I tested. They seem to work every time.

DDG search facility code parameters
DDG-search-box-parameters.png (66.38 KiB) Viewed 921 times

kn=1 means to display results in a new page (on my Firefox browser, results get displayed under a new tab). I got this idea from

Also please note that I get much more accurate results by using a backslash (\) immediately after my websites URL. I got this idea from

Lastly, I found that - for best results - it is best to use single keyword query. Each time I tried a two-word (or more) DDG would use the last word of the query to fetch results ... which ended pointing all over the place where that last word was found :shock::roll:

So I'm thinking of adding a brief instruction above or below the DDG search box like, perhaps:

Single word queries work best. Use the most significant word of a multiple word query.

But that would be way too long.

I will probably have to settle on this for the sake of brevity:
Single word queries work best.

Any other suggestions, my fellow SBIers?

P.S. I tested DDG search on my iPhone, both with Safari and Firefox browsers. I did not find a way to access the search results page :( I must be getting old :roll: