Announcements about Solo Build it!, SBI! for WP, WordPress, and other related news and announcements are posted here. You can either follow the news here, in Site Central, via the SBIX newsletter or in your WordPress dashboard (if using SBI! for WordPress).

Moderator: Debs from SiteSell

#1370009 by Will from Los Ojos
Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:14 pm
ken-admin wrote:Please send the link re AdSense using this tag (i.e., a statement from Google or an employee). Again, there's a ton of misinformation on the Web -- don't believe it if it's not documented.

This is a quote direct from Google AdSense Help, about targeting ads by keywords.

At this time, AdSense only targets ads based on overall site content, not keywords or categories.

If you would like to display ads related to specific topics on your website, we recommend including more text-based content about these topics, including complete sentences and paragraphs, to assist our crawlers in gathering information about your pages and determining relevant ads to display. Please note that it may take up to 1 or 2 weeks before any changes you make have an effect on your ad targeting.

That looks like a pretty clear statement.

If anyone's interested, there's a bit more more information about the AdSense crawler here
#1370010 by Jue from Fantasyland
Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:16 pm
I usually try to use just 1 kw, but sometimes I can't decide between two top kws. So, I put the kw with the best numbers first, and include the other one second because AI analyzes better with that one.

I didn't realize the SEs don't even look it them.

Also, while creating the page, I often list several kws in the box, and eliminate the extras as my editing process reveals the best choice.

It's going to be a real irritation to live with not being able to do either of these things, but I vote Option 1, because it does force clearer thinking about each page.
#1370015 by Will from Los Ojos
Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:43 pm
Jue wrote:I didn't realize the SEs don't even look it them.

Hi Jue,

Google hasn't used the keyword meta tag for around the last 10 years, and probably more like 20.

In 2009, they said

Q: Does this mean that Google will always ignore the keywords meta tag?
A: It's possible that Google could use this information in the future, but it's unlikely. Google has ignored the keywords meta tag for years and currently we see no need to change that policy.

Here's a Matt Cutts video (the head of the Google web spam team) explaining this. I've never understood the Bob and Alice example, so don't get hung up about that, but he's pretty clear in saying Google doesn't use the keyword meta tag for determining Search rankings.

#1370020 by Mark from Northern Taiwan
Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:18 am
One KW is good for me, as long as I don't have to go back and start deleting dozens of KW's from old pages.

Since the advice changed I've saved time.
#1370026 by carolyn from Wilmer
Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:27 am
Thank you Ken.

I appreciate your reply very much!

Keyword "stuffing" refers to having too many keywords sprinkled within the pages content. That's why we have analyze it! and I agree with that 100%! Over the years, I've found that when I compose a page now, I have just the right amount most every time. This has been a lesson that's been well learned and I appreciate analyzer for having taught me how many is alright.

I vote to restore it to the way it was previously. Those who are in favor of keeping it ONE, are still free to do so.

Here's why...

I have NEVER keyword stuffed my pages, but I have optimized pages for one word (BIG keywords) for adsense, especially when I was first starting out. (Now I don't focus too much on the biggies...) Meta tags for me, help me drill down a pages content to several categories which help tie the content together. I give them as much thought as the description and title.

For example, my page with the keyword "makeup" is entitled Your Makeup Color Season.

So for the keywords I had "makeup, color season, skin tone, celebrities, how to apply makeup (H2 page linked to the H3)

It lets me know in an instant what the page talks about.

(makeup by itself is WAY too broad a category!)

It has 56 LIKES on FB so far... (or about that)

[Domain Private]/makeup.html

Of course, I could always change the page to your-makeup-color-season and that would help... but it's more work! :lol:

And although I am almost 60 years old now, I do not mind change, especially when it's necessary.

This just isn't one of those times.

Best always,

#1370029 by Coleen from
Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:05 am
The old way allowed those who want to use one keyword to use one keyword. It allowed those who wanted to use more, to use more. So, why would anyone be against the old way, where we have the choice?

And through all this, no one has answered the question -- at least I didn't see where it was answered -- as to what harm it does to have multiple keywords as long as they are relevant and used on the page.

Yes, I've read the the stuff about engines ignoring the extra keywords -- so, then, it doesn't hurt to have them. As for time, it seems that for some, using multiple keywords is a time saver, as it helps in organizing thoughts and content -- certainly no harm there.

So, again, I ask, could someone please tell me what harm it does to have multiple keywords?
#1370032 by Jill from Mullengudgery
Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:54 am
One is fine by me, although I usually use two or three. which help to remind me of my planned construction as I build the page. Thank goodness for 'save in draft'!
#1370033 by A J from Somewhere Hot
Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:00 am

I mentioned in a previous post, that it was my understanding that Bing might actually use the meta keyword tag against you, if you have too many or non relevant keywords in it. Ken said he had not seen Bing confirm this...

I've searched in the past for that and never found it being said by Bing itself. We're getting into hypotheticals, or statements made by blogs and making things more complex, but to simplify...

IF it's true, it's one more reason to just use the ONE page-Specific Keyword. But I only "buy" statements (in SEO especially) if it can be traced back to the original source (or if a compelling data-backed case is made, with data included).

So, here is an article by Danny Sullivan, where he shows his correspondence with a Bing project manager (who we suppose can be presumed to be speaking on Bing's behalf) who confirmed that with him... poor keyword meta tags could lead to your page getting penalized. Yes, the article is over 5yrs old, but I don't have any reason to think it doesn't still apply. ... e-it-96874

I would love to see a study done on the subject. A number of pages that have held steady in rankings and are using 3 or more keywords, and see how ranking change when that number is reduced to 1. Or even removed altogether, it would be interesting to see what happened. My guess would be no change, but you never know.

Cheers, AJ
#1370035 by Mary from Mico
Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:35 am

'Just thinking out loud here....

On the matter of benefits of choice #1 Ken, said that SBI could tighten Analyze It in sections 5 and 6, (Maybe it's a teensy weensy, maybe it's related to new BrainstormIt horizons?):

5) Simplify Analyze It!

HE forgot to mention that cutting down to 1 (i.e., after the first comma) lets us simplify AI!'s recommendation system. There were recommendations in there that aren't needed anymore.

If the tag is used at all, by any engine, and this is unlikely, having 5 could be a minor negative (ex., AJ's example). We also used this to tighten Analyze It!'s recommendations (ex., keywords derived from roots, etc. - complexity for nothing).