Time to clear your browser's cache. See below for the rest..
Cathy from North Carolina wrote:Hi all,
I converted my site more than 24 hours ago, but it seems that the pages are being converted slowly. When I run the checker app, it is good for the first 134 pages on the last run, then it times out on the remaining pages/items. I check every few hours and maybe one or two more are ok since the previous run.
Is this normal or should I open a support case?
The checker app can encounter some challenges every now and then.
The good news is that, as best as I can see, your site is indeed showing (the pages I saw) Secure with the lock.
If you are referring to how the page appears on the web, then 24 hours is not necessarily unusual. It takes time for the world to catch up. If you are talking about something within the Site Central conversion then yes - worthy of telling support.
However, the checker does show that there are a few HTTPS errors still. You may find it well worth your while to clear your browser's cache and try again.
Sometime the ISP also causes hiccoughs so if the checker stiil doesn't work, go into the advanced settings (just above Run) and select 'Desktop Windows Chrome' under the User Agent Switcher setting.