Announcements about Solo Build it!, SBI! for WP, WordPress, and other related news and announcements are posted here. You can either follow the news here, in Site Central, via the SBIX newsletter or in your WordPress dashboard (if using SBI! for WordPress).

Moderator: Debs from SiteSell

#1388521 by Tracey from Du Toitskloof
Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:01 pm
Pinterest has mystified me, so I'm looking forward to going through the PAG!

Hear! Hear!

Grateful to all the hardworking team!
#1388664 by David from California
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:00 pm
Under the point number 4, it states

Read the article connected to a couple of pins. Click on the pin itself and then on the Read It button at the bottom (see the screenshot below).

None of the pins I look at have a Read It button. They have a Visit button.
#1388709 by Cath, SiteSell Content Team
Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:42 pm
Hi David,

This is one of the anomalies we point out in the introduction and at various points in the PAG. Pinterest shows different things depending on where in the world you are, depending on which browser you’re in and sometimes, even which of your own Pinterest accounts you’re logged into!

It made it very frustrating for us in the writing because of course it meant we couldn’t possibly cover all eventualities. We had to go with what we were seeing (which almost always differed) and what we judged to be the most usual.

So in this example, “Read It” or “Visit” - whichever words you see, it means the same thing. :D

Hope that helps.

#1388711 by Cath, SiteSell Content Team
Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:48 pm
On behalf of Erin, Help Elf and myself can we just say a really big “thank you” to everyone who has made such lovely comments about the PAG. It makes all the months of frustration worthwhile!

We will be keeping en eye open on changes Pinterest makes and updating the PAG as necessary. When we do, we’ll always flag it here.

To keep the frustrations (yours and ours!! :lol: ) to a minimum, that won’t happen more than once a month unless it’s something really major.

Again - thanks everyone, for your kind comments.

And now for Twitter!! :shock:

#1388733 by David from California
Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:19 pm
Thanks for clearing up the difference in browsers etc. We sure do appreciate the hard work and obviously many, many hours you have put into this.

It seems that Facebook takes up so much time, and I find that Pinterest (hardly any time to use) brings in 4 times, that's right, 4x the visitors to our sites than Facbook does!

I'll be going through this guide carefully.

Thanks again!

David and Lin @ [Domain Private]
#1388909 by Mary from Mico
Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:11 am

Thank you Cath and Erin!

Especially for this:

We will be keeping en eye open on changes Pinterest makes and updating the PAG as necessary. When we do, we’ll always flag it here.

This is so encouraging.

#1389788 by Cat from
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:42 am
Dear Ken, Cath, Erin & HE,

The PAG is absolutely amazing! And so are all of you! I've only just started it and I'm impressed, and this is after participating in the Pinterest Challenge forum! All I can is, WOW! I can't wait to dig in deeper in my cracks of time. Thank you so much!
#1392625 by Mary from Mico
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:44 am

Hello Cath, Erin, and all.

Thank you for this great collection of ideas for using Pinterest. It's very helpful to have a reference to learn current practices and recommendations. I'm about half through the lessons and am taking notes that I want to bounce here.

1. On Day 5 I'm noticing a note that surprised me:

So all your images, in every single article, should contain good, keyword-focused alt text and an even better Pinterest description.

Whew! I'm glad for the plain wording, yet I've got many images that have no Pinterest Description at all.

2. Text overlay. I thought that I'd read earlier in the PAG that we were not supposed to add a text overlay, so I'm glad I've seen this:

Pinterest is clear about this: it likes images to have a text overlay that clearly describes the content the pin leads to. There's a title below each image too, but take a look from a mobile device -- the text is small and doesn't catch the eye. And on a computer, the title can be cut off.

3. Call to action and hashtags in the description.

20 hashtags! :shock: Thank you for finding that. I've been using four or five, so I like the recommendation to use at least two.

Yes, add them at the end of the description.

This was a surprise, yet I'm glad I started this during the challenge:

If you only have a few pins, you may want to edit and add hashtags both on your Pinterest board and on your website pages.

use hashtags from this point on.

For the sake of others here's an idea I use. I keep a sticky with a Pinterest Description addition that has the elements we've learned in the challenge and here. For example:

⭐ Check out [Domain Private] Thank you for sharing! :-)
#PrintNPractice #PrintableGrammarWorksheets #HomeschoolWorksheets #WhereToBuy

I also tweak the #s as needed. This way my standard is always ready to add to the website Pinterest Description and to descriptions on Pinterest.

I had worried that my traffic from Pinterest was decreased last year when I changed almost all my Pins' descriptions, yet looking at Analytics I see that my Pin traffic is way higher this year, although this is not to say that it wouldn't be higher if I'd left them alone.

4. Image URL:

When you've finished, save your pinnable image with a file name that uses a keyword or keywords found in Guided Search.

The main things I see that I'm not up to date on are branding and scheduling. Maybe this summer..... :-)

Thank you so much for all this useful info!

#1393489 by Mary from Mico
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:33 pm

Astonishing news!!!

I just received this email from Pinterest to my personal account. I have yet to check my business accounts.

Because you commented on a Pin recently, we wanted you to know about some changes we're making to how comments work on Pinterest.

Leave photos and comments on Pins you tried
When you try a Pin, you can add a photo to show how it went, leave notes on what to do next time, or add tips for other people who want to give it a try.

We're also adding a way for you to reply to comments if you need to follow up or ask questions. And to make it easier for you to find the most helpful comments, we'll show the top comments first.

What's happening to old comments
Lots of people on Pinterest use comments to collaborate on projects in their group boards or make notes in their secret boards. All of your group and secret board comments are still right where they always were. However, old comments on regular boards are being removed to give things a fresh start.

Comment away!

This morning I did notice that one of the pins I was saving had no description and saved it to my food favorites too quickly before noticing that there was no info. It was super odd because I think it was one of Gerhild's beautiful pins. I may have noticed this on another pin during this last week. I'm not a regular Pinner. Yet. :-)

'Not sure how this will affect our Pinning. Looks like more work to me. :shock: