Discussions about WordPress's default, free & premium themes, plus frameworks - also the place to discuss CSS changes to them. This is also where to discuss free plugins (incl the SBI! for WP-recommended plugin set). Which of the infinite # of free plugins are you using? Need help "plugging one in?" Discussion about premium plugins, too - it all happens here!

Moderator: James from Worcester, England

33% OFF The World’s Most Effective Web Business-Builder - Solo Build It!
#1376872 by Janice from Creede
Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:52 pm
I am hoping that someone can voice an opinion for me as to the benefits of either WordPress or BB2. Here is my dilemma:

I have a site that is related to a brick and mortar business that I own but have little connection with anymore. (I live about 1400 miles from the business). I would like to move that SBI site to a separate account where those that work in the business could take over and pretty much do the website for me. I just wonder if would be better for me to stick with BB2 or switch to WordPress, since it will be someone else responsible for the site.

I have 3 other SBI sites that I use BB2 and I love the format, but wonder if it would be easier for someone without the BB2 experience to take over if it were converted to a WordPress site? I have absolutely no experience with WordPress, but the person who wants to help with the site has a very limited amount of experience from many years ago.

Does anyone have any thoughts? This is the website that I terribly ignored for so long: [Domain Private]. I appreciate any opinions, one way or another.
#1376912 by Cath, SiteSell Content Team
Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:26 am
Hi Janice,

I have tried WP sites twice now and always gone back to BB2. I just don't find WP anything like as user-friendly and I don't have time to do the whole learning curve thing.

But I know a lot of people love WP and wouldn't use anything else. So I guess it's more to do with personal preference than anything.

Do you know whether the people who would be managing the site have any WP experience? If they do - great! If not, If not, how would they get the knowledge? Would you expect them to learn it for themselves?

The other thing to consider is that, if you will be having anything to do with the site and you have no experience of WP, you won't be able easily to answer questions should problems arise.

You do know SBI!, you know the systems and you know Support is second to none.

At the end of the day it's more to do with those experiences and the expertise of you and your store managers, I think, than anything else.

Hope it works out for you, whichever you finally choose. :)

Cath.
#1376923 by George from Prestea
Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:08 pm
If you have to ask at all, then by all means stick with SBI and BB2. At the end of the day, you'll go further with a simple tool that you have already mastered (or can easily master), than much more capable tool that you can't use.

On the other hand if this thread had started with a clear use-case and features which BB2 didn't support, then I'd say use WordPress.

And you're hearing this from someone who makes his living building, hosting and managing WordPress sites.
#1376944 by Janice from Creede
Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:25 pm

George and Cath,
Thank you so much for offering your opinions. Since I never used WP, I wasn't sure just how big of a learning curve it would curtail, but no matter what you choose to do differently there is always that time it takes for mastery.

The gal that wants to help with the site has some graphic design experience and said she a limited amount of experience, but I'm not really sure what that means.

Cath wrote: The other thing to consider is that, if you will be having anything to do with the site and you have no experience of WP, you won't be able easily to answer questions should problems arise.he did work on WP but never set it up.

I think this statement pretty much made up my mind to stick with BB2. Since I still own the business, I guess I need to know a little about the website too, and I am very comfortable with BB2.

Thanks again, Cath and George for your insights. Extremely helpful.