Discussions about WordPress's default, free & premium themes, plus frameworks - also the place to discuss CSS changes to them. This is also where to discuss free plugins (incl the SBI! for WP-recommended plugin set). Which of the infinite # of free plugins are you using? Need help "plugging one in?" Discussion about premium plugins, too - it all happens here!

Moderator: James from Worcester, England

#1376937 by Nick from Severn Bridge
Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:03 pm
Hi! my site is over 220 pages, I get about 2000 unique visitors per month. I need to update the website, get rid of bad links, and monetize the site. I will also be selling an ebook on the site.

You will notice that my site is about American and Canadians coming to Mexico for dental work, but after being in business for over a decade, I have reversed my stance, and DO NOT recommend that anyone go to Mexico for dental work. The ebook will explain why.

This is a pretty big job, and all of the freelancers that I have approached recommend starting from scratch, and using Wordpress. I think this is an option, since a lot of freelancers have experience with Wordpress, and almost none have experience with SBI. I can use Sitesell Services, but that would run in the $thousands.
So, is SBI for Wordpress a good option? Should I just stick with SBI? Should I just go with standard Wordpress and host it on my Bluehost account which I am paying for anyway for my other sites?

I will also need to boost traffic, build an email list, use autoresponders, and monetize the site with banners, Adsense, AdChoices, and affiliate programs for things like travel items, travel insurance, travel websites, dental products, dentists, etc.

If you were me, what would you do?
Last edited by Debs from SiteSell on Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Moved from Outsourcing to here.
#1377072 by Debs from SiteSell
Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:32 pm
I had a site on WordPress, it no longer is. I had emails everyday that something needed to be updated, etc. I had to set up my own backups too. I'm semi-techy and it frustrated me, a LOT.

If you know WordPress and don't mind having to do rather frequent updates to it and the plugins you want, then WordPress is fine. However, once you build traffic, it is very likely your host will force you into bigger and bigger plans due to storage and bandwidth.

If you don't know WordPress and aren't up to doing updates or making sure plugins aren't conflicting with each other, etc., then I suggest you stay with SBI!. With SBI! you won't have a learning curve like you would with any product you haven't used before. Nothing against WordPress, it is excellent for what it does. However you are responsible for the managing of it while SiteSell manages SBI! for you.

If you are changing niches, yes start over. If any existing pages make sense on the new site, just go over each page, one at a time (high traffic/converting/sales pages should be done first) and do what needs done. Take advantage of the Reusable Blocks and Sitewide Dots to make updating merchants, products, and other monetization to save time down the road.

All my best,

Debs
#1377740 by George from Prestea
Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:39 am
Hello Nick,

As your experience with these freelancers and Debs' response show -- even with the best intentions, people can only recommend what they know, like and trust. To that end, we're all biased -- and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

So here comes my own admittedly biased opinion.

I know, like and trust SBI, and have recommended it to a lot of people over for over a decade, with no affiliate links (that's a long story for another day).

I also know, like and trust WordPress very well, and have even built a career out of building, hosting and managing WordPress sites for clients for over a decade -- starting way back in the b2/cafelog days before Matt created WordPress out of the b2/cafelog codebase.

WordPress, with its huge ecosystem of themes and plugins, is a truly powerful software, and I'm often amazed by the soft of things people do with it... from building sophisticated web and mobile apps to running complete business backends (invoicing, accounting, helpdesk ticketing, hotel front-desk reservations, corporate intranets, etc.).

But with that power, comes a whole lot of complexity and responsibility on the part of the site owner.

So, the issues that Debs raised are very, very true -- with WordPress you're in the driver's seat and must manage every aspect of your website, or pay someone else to do it for you. God knows I've made good money rescuing people's abandoned WordPress sites that get hacked.

But here is the thing: the added cost and complexity shouldn't stop you from switching to WordPress if you have a clear business need which SBI can't support. That would be like choosing to remain in an overcrowded tiny house because you dread the higher maintenance cost (in both time and money) of a bigger house.

Hi! my site is over 220 pages, I get about 2000 unique visitors per month. I need to update the website, get rid of bad links, and monetize the site. I will also be selling an ebook on the site.

Broken links (or "link rot" -- as the academics call it [1]) are unfortunately a part of the web, and you'll need to fix these broken links and update your content on a regular basis, irrespective of the software or platform you use to build your website.

So if the only reason WordPress is under consideration is the fact that freelancers recommended it, then I wouldn't say that would be a smart move to make. Stick with what you know and (hopefully) love.

This is a pretty big job, and all of the freelancers that I have approached recommend starting from scratch, and using Wordpress. I think this is an option, since a lot of freelancers have experience with Wordpress, and almost none have experience with SBI. I can use Sitesell Services, but that would run in the $thousands.

What exactly do you need help with that is a "pretty big job" and will cost $thousands? Fixing broken links? Editing the content? Putting new clothes (design) on the site? Building some new functionality?

Such details would surely help!

So, is SBI for Wordpress a good option? Should I just stick with SBI? Should I just go with standard Wordpress and host it on my Bluehost account which I am paying for anyway for my other sites?

Note that SBI for WordPress is just SBI's brainstormer, guides and forum support --- but with your own self-hosted WordPress. SBI doesn't host your WordPress site at all, even with SBI for WordPress. So, in your case, you would host the WordPress site on your Bluehost account if you decide to publish with WordPress (whether you purchase SBI for WordPress or not).

I will also need to boost traffic, build an email list, use autoresponders, and monetize the site with banners, Adsense, AdChoices, and affiliate programs for things like travel items, travel insurance, travel websites, dental products, dentists, etc.

All these can either be done directly with SBI, or you can integrate advanced 3rd-party tools whether you use SBI or WordPress.

If you were me, what would you do?

So, given the information you provided, I'll say stick with SBI. And, unless you need a writer or an editor to help you edit your content, it shouldn't cost you thousands of dollars to fix broken links and even change design).

And don't let the complexity stop you from switching to WordPress if you have clearly identified new features and functionality for your site which you know for fact (no assumptions!) that SBI can't support. If you want more out of your site or business, you'll need to be willing to put in more.

[1] - A recent study by the folks at Harvard University's Library Innovation Lab shows that of the 2,816 links embedded on the infamous Million Dollar Homepage, 547 are entirely unreachable while a further 489 redirect to a different domain or to a domain resale portal, leaving 1,780 -- about 63% -- reachable links. Even then, most of the domains to which these 63% reachable links correspond are for sale or devoid of content.