Discussions about WordPress's default, free & premium themes, plus frameworks - also the place to discuss CSS changes to them. This is also where to discuss free plugins (incl the SBI! for WP-recommended plugin set). Which of the infinite # of free plugins are you using? Need help "plugging one in?" Discussion about premium plugins, too - it all happens here!

Moderator: James from Worcester, England

#1373103 by Christophe from Belgium
Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:07 am
Hi,

Just for your info, I've been using an ad manager plugin for more than a year now and I'm quite happy with it:

https://wpadvancedads.com/

It allows you to define locations where ads will be automatically inserted on your pages, it provides browser size detection, geolocation of ads, user language detection, and many more.

What is nice is that being a plugin, you manage all your ads inside of Wordpress. The only downside is that it can hog up your server if you use specific features such as geolocation on all your pages, given that Wordpress isn't the most efficient CMS.

Th developer is pretty responsive, the plugin gets updated regularly, and documentation is also good.
#1373129 by Mary from Mico
Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:54 pm

Hello Christophe,

I am wondering about something you said in this post:

https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=222698&p=1373127#p1373018

For example, I have a Wordpress plugin to manage the ads on my site. I can insert ads on specific locations on specifc pages based on a whole set of criteria, without needing to touch a single page. This saves me hours when I want to change my ad implementation. I wouldn't want to go back managing this by hand like I did in the old days.

Just curious, how does this plugin differ from SBI's reusable blocks? I'm thinking that we are able to use the reusable blocks in a similar manner as you are using this plug-in, but I may not know what other features the plug-in may have.

Mary
#1373136 by Christophe from Belgium
Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:02 pm
Hi Mary,

I haven't used BB2 (I have used UYOH and before that BB1), but as I understand it, even with reusable blocks, you need to define where on your page you want a reusable block to appear for every page, at least in the body of the article.

With the plugin, you don't need to do that, there are a whole set of placements as they call it, available. So you define a placement in the ad manager, for example display ads below the H1 or below paragraph 3.

Then you define your ad (for example an Adsense ad) and assign it to the placement. Now your ad will appear on all pages in the chosen placement (e.g. below paragraph 3).

See the following page for a bit more information about placements:

https://wpadvancedads.com/manual/placements/

You can further restrict where ads appear based on page categories, geolocation, etc.
#1373160 by Mary from Mico
Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:01 am

Thank you Christophe,

Hm...

So you define a placement in the ad manager, for example display ads below the H1 or below paragraph 3.

The way I understand it, we can do that with SiteWideDots and Reusable Blocks. As the name infers the sitewidedots are prepositioned according to the

The thing with the reusable blocks is that we can customize where those positions fall. I can make a page that I clone for say: Math. Then I can clone all my math T3s with an extra reusable block in a few places where I might like to have Math information, ads, or sales. I can open one to edit and that edit takes place everywhere that reusable block was placed. I can also add that reusable block to more pages, etc.

Thank you for your notes.

Mary
#1373185 by Christophe from Belgium
Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:49 am
Hi Mary,

So as I understand it you have to decide in advance where you want your reusable blocks to appear. If you want to move the ad from say below the third paragraph to below the fifth paragraph, you'd have to edit all those pages. And you'd have to remember in which pages you put those reusable blocks.

Not so with the plugin. You can really inject an ad in old articles, or change an ad placement from third to fifth paragraph, all from one central place, without touching said articles.

As I understand it, reusable blocks and site-wide dots are a lot like the includes I used in UYOH, convenient yet still coupled with a lot of work if you ever needed to change an ad placement and you didn't plan for that placement beforehand.
#1373223 by Mary from Mico
Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:46 pm

Wow. Thank you Christophe.

Not so with the plugin. You can really inject an ad in old articles, or change an ad placement from third to fifth paragraph, all from one central place, without touching said articles.

That's very handy. How often do you find yourself changing placements?

And I agree that the SiteWideDots and Reusable Blocks are like UYOH includes. Thank you for the comparison.

Mary
#1373229 by Christophe from Belgium
Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:48 pm
Mary from Mico wrote:That's very handy. How often do you find yourself changing placements?

To be honest, not that often. But that's because besides replying to comments and moving to Vimeo for videos, I haven't really done any work on the site, as I was busy on other projects...
#1373244 by Mary from Mico
Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:49 am
Thank you Christophe.

I find that I do not have to change placements much either. For one thing, there are so many site wide dots that I have quite a few choices.

When I'm building a new page and want more paragraphs above a below first paragraph dot, I simply write more text/paragraphs/lists ahead of the dot in the first paragraph block, etc.

Thank you for your notes.

Mary
#1396207 by Scott from Mapaville
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:21 pm
Thanks, Christophe for recommending this. One feature of the ad manager plugin that I love is that it can rotate the order of banner ads in your side column. I had been looking for an ad manager plugin that can do that and was about to post in this forum asking if anyone knew of one.