You are not, must not be, an impersonal Wikipedia. Find your PERSONAL Voice and VPP. Sparkle and shine. You are a solopreneur - unique So put YOURself into your writing. Position your niche wisely through a smartly chosen VPP. Establish your unique identity and voice. Do that and you'll build a loyal and dedicated audience. This forum discusses HOW.

Moderator: Carol from East Anglia

33% OFF The World’s Most Effective Web Business-Builder - Solo Build It!
#1306212 by Michelle from Wormer
Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:36 am
Hi everyone!

I have a question about something that is bothering me a bit. With my site I can to the idea of writing the pages from my cat's narrative, Pipo. I thought that it would add in a "cute!" factor and make the site more entertaining.

However then I started thinking about whether it is possible to build genuine relationships with readers when you are writing from a cat's perspective. I mean, people bond with people, not people bond with "author impersonating own cat" right? So I am doubting.

Would one of you maybe be so kind and visit my site and tell me what their impression is the cat's narrative? Because at the moment I have only a few pages and I can revert the narrative still quite easily. Thank you so much in advance!
#1306219 by ken-admin
Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:19 pm
From Content Elf...

Good question, Michelle.

Writing from the POV of a cat is a gimmick.

Now, gimmicks can work wonderfully well... or they can fall flat on their face. And no matter how well you know your audience, it's very difficult to tell in advance which way it's going to go.

I just finished reading a book on how to write dialogue (I'm a frustrated screenwriter :wink: ) written purely in the form of dialogue. For the writer, that probably sounded like a wonderful idea on paper. But for this reader at least, it was a disaster.

If I were you, Michelle, I'd hedge my bets. How?...

Revert to a traditional voice (safer). But give the cat its own platform in the form of callout boxes ("Pipo says...") or its own section of the site... or whatever.

Just make sure (and this is important) that you get the cat to pay a proportionate share of SBI! fees. If it wants to play, it's got to pay. :wink:

All the best,
Content Elf
#1306221 by Michelle from Wormer
Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:46 pm
ken-admin wrote:From Content Elf...

Good question, Michelle.

Writing from the POV of a cat is a gimmick.

Now, gimmicks can work wonderfully well... or they can fall flat on their face. And no matter how well you know your audience, it's very difficult to tell in advance which way it's going to go.

I just finished reading a book on how to write dialogue (I'm a frustrated screenwriter :wink: ) written purely in the form of dialogue. For the writer, that probably sounded like a wonderful idea on paper. But for this reader at least, it was a disaster.

If I were you, Michelle, I'd hedge my bets. How?...

Revert to a traditional voice (safer). But give the cat its own platform in the form of callout boxes ("Pipo says...") or its own section of the site... or whatever.

Just make sure (and this is important) that you get the cat to pay a proportionate share of SBI! fees. If it wants to play, it's got to pay. :wink:

All the best,
Content Elf

Thank you so much for your response! You worded exactly what I felt intuitively. I had the sense that people might like it, but in the long run might get the feeling of "Well this is cute and all, but who is really behind all this. I think for true relationships that eventually there should be no or few barriers between writer and reader.

Your suggestion is something I was pondering about so I think this is definitely the way to go. Writing from human to human with a cute cat bumping in from time to time to give a feline perspective. Thank you again! :D
#1306230 by Julie from Adona
Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:27 pm
Hi Michelle,

If someone sits to read your whole site, they 'get it'...but if they come in from the SEs for just a page or two, the concept may leave them wondering...but not enough to come back.

I really like the idea of using the callout boxes for your Pipo's commentary. You get to put a unique spin on your content, and at the same time, provide reliable information to the occasional visitor in an expected fashion. Pipo also provides an outlet to say things that you might not say as bluntly...because...seriously...no one wins in an argument with a cat! :D

Good question!

Julie
#1333942 by Glenda from Orkabie
Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:03 am

Perhaps Pipo could have his own newsletter, signed of course, with a paw print at the bottom.

At least people would know what they are reading and whose point of view it is because they signed up for it.

If I typed Best Catfood or something like that into a search engine,

I'm not sure that I'd immediately 'click on' to the idea of how yummy canned catfood is, or how fun eating birds or licking fur is.

..Not that your site mentions that, but we generally assign (for the most part) website authors into the non-catfood-eating category.

I agree with the other comments and have a callout box with "Pipo Says:" as a heading

(..or Pipos Tip #46 if you really want to brand it) and have a small picture of who or what Pipo actually is.

#1382273 by Morgen from White Pine
Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:42 am
Partial "cat voice" sounds great! After all, "Lorenzo the cat" is always talking about his mom....
But a whole site? Not so sure....
I like the "call out boxes" idea.