This forum covers anything and everything else related to WordPress. Don't like the latest release? Or love it? Having problems with menus or widgets? Wondering about all of the Settings options? Trying to sort out all the post types? Share great how-to and other articles with other SBI! for WP users. Day 6 means WordPress setup, creating pages/posts - questions? If it is about WordPress and if it doesn't fit in the above 2 forums, THIS is the spot.

Moderator: James from Worcester, England

#1366612 by Debra from Campobello
Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:01 pm
Hi,

I'm creating a new site and I want to compress an image for my home page header (or do whatever else I need to do to have a quick page load time). I won't be using many image on this site.

I see in the SBI for WP Tips and Techniques (TNT) an article called, "Using TinyPNG to Compress Images." This was the only thing I could find about compressing images in the WP TNT.

In the Tips and Techniques for the regular SBI, I see an article called, "JPEGmini Image File Compression Service" (it does mention TinyPNG in the article in passing).

I'm a little confused as to why only TinyPNG is in the SBI for WP Tips and Techniques. Does this mean that I should turn my jpeg's into png's?

Are there any other alternatives you recommend to compress an image or two?

Thank you!
Debra
#1366647 by Help Elf from SiteSell
Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:59 pm
Hi Debra.

When we wrote for SBI!, TinyPNG was for PNG images only. That's why we also wrote the JPEGmini article. Since that time, TinyPNG compresses both PNG and JPG images. So we didn't add the JPEGmini to the SBI! for WP articles, since it's not really needed. Why use two services when you can use one?

Also, there's a TinyPNG plugin, if you'd like to do it inside WP.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/tiny-compress-images/