This forum covers anything and everything else related to WordPress. Don't like the latest release? Or love it? Having problems with menus or widgets? Wondering about all of the Settings options? Trying to sort out all the post types? Share great how-to and other articles with other SBI! for WP users. DAY 6 means WordPress setup, creating pages/posts -- questions? If it's about WordPress and if it doesn't fit in the above 2 forums, this is the spot.

Moderator: James from Worcester, England

#1386549 by Stephanie from USA
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:01 pm
In the Action Guide, it says to submit the sitemap to Google and Bing. How?

It says:

"You can access Google Search Console and Bing Webmaster Tools by clicking the links on the Settings page of the XML Sitemaps Generator plugin."

Where is the Settings page of the XML Sitemaps Generator?

Thanks!
#1386551 by George from Prestea
Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:31 pm
As you're using WordPress, you need to install and activate a plugin to be able to generate XML sitemaps.

From your post, it appears the Action Guide recommends a particular XML sitemaps generator. I'm not an active SBI or SBIforWP user and don't have access to the Action Guide, so I'm unable to confirm the exact plugin recommended for you.

If you use the (awesome) Yoast SEO plugin, it has a built-in XML sitemap generator already, and you don't need another XML sitemap generator).

If you don't use an SEO plugin with sitemaps generator built in, a very popular XML sitemaps generator Google XML Sitemaps, available at https://wordpress.org/plugins/google-sitemap-generator/

Of course, you can always go directly to Google and Bing to create your webmaster accounts (but you'll still need the plugin to generate the XML sitemaps for your site, which you'll submit to Google and Bing).

Google: https://www.google.com/webmasters/

Bing: https://www.bing.com/toolbox/webmaster/
#1386561 by Stephanie from USA
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:27 pm
I did install Yoast SEO, but don't see where exactly to find the sitemap.

This is all very confusing to me. You go to Google and Bing and verify that your site is yours, then you generate a sitemap (whatever that is), then go back to Google and Bing to put in a link (?) to the sitemap?

Is that correct?

What makes a particular sitemap generator better than another one? Isn't it just a page of code?

Thanks!
Stephanie
#1386566 by George from Prestea
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:48 pm
The XML sitemap, as the name implies, is a special page on your website which lists all the other pages on your website in a format that the search engines will recognize (that's the XML part).

Your XML sitemap address (generated by Yoast SEO plugin) is available here:

http://www.honeyandkale.com/sitemap_index.xml

You can find this address in your WordPress dashboard at SEO => XML Sitemaps

Now that you have your XML sitemap (automagically generated for you by Yoast SEO plugin), you need to submit this sitemap address to Google and Bing to help them quickly find all the pages on your website.

Note that you don't generate the sitemaps at Google and Bing. You rather tell them where the sitemap can be located on your website.

Think of it this way: way back then we had to fill a form on each of the search engines (and there were a whole lot of them back then) and submit each new page we built on our websites. And we had to re-submit each time we made any significant updates on the page. So if you had more than a handle of pages on your site, that alone was a whole lot of work. Today, this XML sitemap completely automates this task for us (after initially telling Google where to find your XML sitemap).
#1386575 by Jeff from dogquotations.com
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:16 am
Hi Stephanie. Hover on the Online Learning menu item and select Tips and Techniques. On that page, do a find for Yoast and you'll find articles that cover all of it, including sitemaps.
#1386623 by Stephanie from USA
Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:47 pm
Thanks Jeff. I was able to figure out how Yoast SEO generates sitemaps and I see the sitemaps for my site.

However, I am unclear exactly what the purpose of this is and what I have to do.

Does Yoast SEO automatically submit these sitemaps to Google and Bing or do I have to do it manually in the webmaster tools of these sites?

If I don't submit a sitemap, what happens?

Thanks,
Stephanie
#1386630 by Jeff from dogquotations.com
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:22 pm
Hi Stephanie.

You have to create Google Search Console and Bing Webmaster Tools accounts, verify ownership (meta tag method) and submit the sitemap to each of them. Then you're done.
#1386631 by Stephanie from USA
Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:29 am
Ok, I was able to figure it out with Yoast SEO. Thanks for your input.